Aspirant

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

I just wanted to let Netgear support know that this problem is happening to many people, myself included.

I am experiencing the same problem as everyone else, the Netgear Range Extender keeps dropping the Internet connection to the main Netgear WNR1000v2 router and never recovers without having to power off and on the Extender.

At first Netgear tech support blamed my 2Wires modem as the cause of the problem. So I bought the new Netgear WNR1000v2 main router so it would not have this issue. It would now be a Netgear product talking to a Netgear product.

Purchasing that new Netgear WNR1000v2 router did not fix the problem, some how I am not surprised.

On my 2nd call to tech support they told me to keep my main Netgear router on channel 11, which I did.

It took about 1 more day to fail, anyone surprised?

On my 3rd call to tech support they said it was due to me using WPA-PSK security instead of WEP only security.

I switched it to WEP security and guess what? 1 day later my connection from the Netgear Range Extender to main Netgear router failed again.

On my 4th call to tech support they could only suggestion to send the router back for a replacement, but after reading this forum thread, it's been tried before and still the same problem. Another words it's not the solution.

I have tried moving the Netgear Range Extender the following distance from the main Netgear router.

5 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet, 28 feet, and finally 35 feet away. In all cases it took less than 1 day for the Netgear Range Extender to fail and stop communicating to the main Netgear router.

Just to let everyone else know, there is a new firmware update available for the Netgear Range extender, but you have to manually download from the Netgear website. The modem it self was doing it's own firmware check, but never found it.

I am running firmware version V1.0.1.20NA
GUI Language version V1.0.0.29

Let me know if anyone has found a fix for this, everything suggested in this thread has not worked for me.

The only way to get my Netgear Range Extender WN2000RPT talking to my main Netgear Router WNR1000v2 router again is to power it off and on again.

Thanks,
Howard
Aspirant

Interesting.... I'm having similar problems with WNDAP350's. They turn off their radios dropping all connections, then later on they turn them back on. In my case I found that they erroneously decide they are no longer connected to the network, then later on they find out that they are. And, the problem gets worse (off and on more frequently) the more connections they have. It's a firmware issue that hasn't been resolved. I have no idea if the WN2000RPT periodically checks to see if it's connected to a network, but maybe it does.
Aspirant

Same thing has been happening to me for a month I am on your 2nd Call stage with support, I have not had the energy to phone them back up again to be told do do something that obviously will not fix it.. the product does not work...... I was told at one stage it was because I had a cordless phone!!! Come on Netgear... get your finger out!!!
Aspirant

I had the same problem as you all seem to have with this product, however I did something recently that, for some reason, seems to have helped.
Let me explain what I did.
I lost connection to my WN2000RPT like I have so many times previously and started going through stuff. While doings so, my wife had no or sporadic access to the internet from her iPhone and with work stuff going on she couldn't be without internet while I was tinkering. So I set up a 802.11g guest network for her to use while I was playing around with the main network. This is where it gets really interesting - Immediately after doing this (I'm talking seconds here) the WN2000RPT came online with a stronger signal than ever before and have stayed online ever since with no interruptions so far. Not only that, but the connection speed far exceeds everything I've had so far between the two. Checking the connection details confirms that everything still is connected to the main network with the exception of the iPhone now being served solely by the 802.11g guest network.
I can't help to think that this might have something to do with the iPhone.
I doubt it has anything to do with apple talk being the culprit as I also run iPad's and iPod's on the main network with no interference.

My suggestion is to exclude iPhone's if you have them on the network with the WN2000RPT or linked to the same network. Try disconnecting the wifi completely or even power off the phone.
I'm not saying it will work, but I thought it might be worth trying in lack of response from Netgear in regards to the issue.

My network consist of the following:
Netgear DGND3300 (Main router)
Netgear WN2000RPT (AP and secondary DHCP with static IP)
Highlighted
Aspirant

Good to know I am not alone. It has been the same for the 2 weeks I have had it. I use the unit with a Samsung Nexus S. I have no difficulty obtaining an IP address from the main router which is the SuperHub from Virgin media (Netgear CG 3101D) or any other wireless source. When the unit works it gives excellent coverage. Every time my Samsung powers up it tries to obtain a new IP address then gives up until I reboot the unit. It then gets a new IP address every time. It then loses contact and the whole procedure starts again. It has worked its way through 50 IP addresses in less than a week.
I rebooted the SuperHub then rebooted the unit. It started again at IP address 5 and is now at 29 in two days. This is obviously not right.
I am no expert and the suggested solutions seem unnecessarily complex for a "plug and play" piece of kit.

Come on Netgear... SORT IT!!!

Halan
Aspirant

I have had the unit for 2 weeks. I am glad to see I am not alone. I use the unit with a Samsung Nexus S. I have no difficulty obtaining a connection with the main router, Virgin SuperHub (Netgear CG 3101D) or any other WiFi source. Every time the Samsung powers up it tries to obtain an IP address from the unit. Often its cannot obtain an IP address until I reboot the unit. In the first 10 days it worked its way through 50 IP adresses. I rebooted the SuperHub then rebooted the unit. I got an IP address of 5. Over the past two days it has worked its way up to 29. It some times goes through 3 IP addresses in 30 mins.
This is obviously not right.
I am no expert and the solutions in this thread seem unnecessarily complex for what is basically a "plug and play" piece of kit.

Come on Netgear... SORT IT!!!

Halan.
Novice

He was RIGHT....I HAVE AN HTC EVO 4G...AS SOON AS I KEPT THE WIFI ON...MY NETGEAR WOULD DROP EVERY 10 MINUTES...AS SOON AS I TURNED THE WIFI OFF ON THE PHONE IT HASN'T DROPPED SINCE...

WTH IS THAT??? WHY WOULD THE PHONE HAVING THE WIFI ON INTERFERE WITH IT?

THAT'S THE SOLUTION THOUGH FOLKS...TURN OFF THE WIFI ON YOUR SMARTPHONES AND YOU'LL STOP DROPPING SIGNAL FROM YOUR LAPTOPS...UNBELIEVABLE...
Novice

OK the past post....worthless....I have since started dropping signal again even though my HTC isn't connected...The only thing I suspect is the other members in the household with smartphones that are still connected to it...

The reason I was so convinced about the phone wifi effecting it was because when i originally bought it...it went 3 weeks without EVER dropping a signal...until I connected the HTC...that's when all hell broke loose and it started dropping every 10 minutes like clockwork...sometimes 10 times in 10 minutes...So back to square one here...Any advise would be helpful...let me know about the smartphone wifi if anyone tries that... Definitely not a fix but did extend my drops significantly...now I drop every 2 to 3 hours instead of every 10 minutes...
Novice

Hey Guys, I just bought mine yesterday and immediately updated to the latest firmware (V1.0.1.20). I'm NOT having any issues like all the mentioned above.

Let me explain my setup:

DGN2000 (V1.1.8.0 - DGTeam Rev. 1018) - Main router, DHCP [Living Room]
- Laptop connected with g channel 8
- Ubuntu box connected with Lan
- Nokia E52 connected with g channel 8 [Mostly in Living Room env.]
- WN2000RPT (V1.0.1.20) connected to Router with n channel 8 - Extender, [Home Office]
- - Window 7 PC connected with Lan
- - Lexmark Printer connected with g channel 8
- - HTC Desire HD connected with n channel 8 [Mostly in Office env.]

I've made both SSIDs the same including the security (WPA2-PSK [AES]) key, so my phone floats between the router and the extender, which ever is the strongest.

My WN2000PRT's wireless light is solid green with connectivity strength floating between 200mbps and 270mbps. I can stream HD movies off windows pc with no problem.

If you have an android phone, install "Wifi Analyzer", it will help find the best channel to use in your area and where you might have dead spots. Make sure you place your WN2000RPT in the best location.

I hope this could help someone! Just know this, your device isn't a brick. Smiley Wink
Novice

I've been setting up a wi-fi network for a local hotel and these netgear extenders have been a total embarrassment to me and made me look totally unprofessional. I've always been a fan of netgear stuff but this experience has damaged that.

On this set-up I have a Netgear N300 (DGND3300) ADSL2+ Router that works fine for wired connections and wireless. I then have 3 x WNR2000RPT Repeaters which all connect happily for so many hours then will not allow access to the internet. Rebooting the repeaters often makes no difference, but rebooting the router and repeaters gets it all going again. The hotel are not happy about re-booting all these every day and the customers moaning that they can't access the internet.

I've tried all suggestions I can find on this forum and others. All repeaters and router have the latest firmware. I've got the same repeater at home linked to a virgin superhub (netgear unit I believe) and never have a problem with it losing the net side of things.

It could be the router hence why it seems to also need a reboot but when the repeaters are not working correctly I can still connect to the router via wired or wireless and access the net etc.

I'm at a loss what to do next bar remove them all and start again with none netgear stuff.
Aspirant

I have several experiences with wireless routers providing sporadic or intermittent connectivity. In all cases thus far, I solved the problem by selecting another Channel (the operating frequency of the wireless). I am not a radio engineer but I suspect other devices sharing the same frequency were interfering with my signal.
Novice

Being doing further research and I'm gonna try the following:

Revert DGND3300 router back to firmware v42 as others seem to be having problems with later versions and DNS side of things.

Revert WN2000RPT's back to initial firmware version 1.0.0.2 and see how it goes.

For further info I have 1 RPT linked to the router then 2 other RPT's linked to the first RPT. All work happily for a while then lose the internet connection. Worth a go.
Novice

Well it seems the repeaters were still on 1.0.0.2 when i thought they'd updated so updated them to 1.0.1.2. Reverted the router back to v42, all tested and working fine. We shall see tomorrow if it's all still working. If not I'll try the BT Hub they have spare and see if that makes any difference.
Novice

Well, it was still no good so dumped the netgear stuff in favour of Engenius equipment and they are working a treat. So much for netgear. Used to think they were great but will no longer use or recommend them. Lets hope I can flog em on ebay for a few quid. Thanks Netgear.
Novice

rpz620 wrote:
All of my devices can continually access the WN2000RPT device and access the local network as well as the internet. However, after some time, the internet connection drops for the repeater only - I can still access the local network but not the internet.

Is there a timeout or something that would cause it to lose it's connection? Seems that bouncing the repeater works, albeit temporarily.

thanks.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

My repeater's working well so far with my Router AP. What is the model no. and f/w version of your Router AP which the 2000RPT is connected?
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

rupert1020 wrote:
I have the same kind of problem. Check to see if there are duplicate ip or MAC addresses of devices connected to your router and WN2000RPT ?

In my configuration, it does not seem to be a wi-fi link problem between the router and the WN2000RPT but rather some kind of conflict with the addresses the connected devices are getting. Netgear should really look into this problem and release firmware that passes on the MAC addresses properly.

just curious on what is the model no. and f/w of your Router AP..mine router AP is always working fine....
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

Ondart wrote:
I have resolved this issue. My Netgear WN2000RPT Bridge would disconnect randomly from my DLink DGL-4500 Wireless Router. The lights on the bridge always stayed green when this happened and it would occur about every hour more or less. All wireless and wired devices on the bridge would still be able to ping each other but no internet access was available. All wireless and wired devices on the Netgear router could ping each other and could access the Internet. The connection between the bridge and the router was the problem.

Looking at the router statistics, i was able to tell that the bridge MAC address was registered properly on the router as an active connection but the connection was not functional. I decided to start changing the Wireless Channels, there are 12 channels in the 2.4 GHz band for 802.11N. I started with channel 1 and I was suddenly able to ping a device on the bridge. I began with copying a 100MB file over the bridge to the remote device. Within 5 min, the connection would drop. I kept changing the channel until the bridge stopped disconnecting. I ended up setting the router to "Auto Channel Scan". This also worked so I left it at that. It's been up 24 hours now with heavy traffic over the bridge and no drops.

I found another problem and this is likely the root cause. I have an RF Logitech MX mouse and RF keyboard. Mousing around was intermittently jerky and keys would not consistently function properly when heavy traffic, i.e. copying a 100MB file over the bridge, was performed. I changed the router to each of the 12 channels on the 2.4GHz band with no change. When the traffic was low from the router to the bridge, the keyboard and mouse issues would go away. So i have a conflict on the 2.4 GHz band and the darn Logitech RF devices are not channel configurable unfortunately. I don't want to replace my $180 keyboard/mouse combo so I am not sure what to do about it yet.

Here are a few other things I did during troubleshooting that may also be of some help:
- Turn off DHCP on the Bridge (http://www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html)
- Configure the Bridge with a Static IP address, i.e. 192.168.0.10.
- Change the wireless range on the Router to something like 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200 for DHCP clients and set the Bridge to use a range of 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.254. This will prevent DHCP IP conflicts.
- Hard code devices that you want to have the same IP addresses in the lower range on the router, i.e. 291.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99 for example.

Anyway, I struggled with all this and these changes resolved my problems. I hope this can help others with the same issue.

Got any ideas about my RF keyboard conflict? Please speak up!

Joe

hey buddy, u're pretty smart....it is truly important for every wireless devices to change the proper wireless channels or remove radio interference objects to get a stable wireless connection...
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Aspirant

Griffman2010 wrote:
I've been setting up a wi-fi network for a local hotel and these netgear extenders have been a total embarrassment to me and made me look totally unprofessional. I've always been a fan of netgear stuff but this experience has damaged that.

On this set-up I have a Netgear N300 (DGND3300) ADSL2+ Router that works fine for wired connections and wireless. I then have 3 x WNR2000RPT Repeaters which all connect happily for so many hours then will not allow access to the internet. Rebooting the repeaters often makes no difference, but rebooting the router and repeaters gets it all going again. The hotel are not happy about re-booting all these every day and the customers moaning that they can't access the internet.

I've tried all suggestions I can find on this forum and others. All repeaters and router have the latest firmware. I've got the same repeater at home linked to a virgin superhub (netgear unit I believe) and never have a problem with it losing the net side of things.

It could be the router hence why it seems to also need a reboot but when the repeaters are not working correctly I can still connect to the router via wired or wireless and access the net etc.

I'm at a loss what to do next bar remove them all and start again with none netgear stuff.

I'm going through the same issues. This Netgear repeater is a piece of crap. I have tried everything and it still dropping internet access. This model should never been released from Netgear. So many people going through the same issue. it's last thing I bought from Netgear.
Novice

rupert1020 wrote:
Actually, it's the router that distributes the IP addresses. The WN2000RPT has an internal DHCP server which can be turned on. I had to turn mine off because it was sending out IP addresses to the attached devices which sometimes created conflicts.

See the FAQ for more information on how to turn the DHCP server on/off
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239

Depending on your router you can check the ip/mac addresses from a web browser. With Netgear routers use 192.168.1.1 by default. I have a WNR3500L with dd-wrt running on it. I upgraded the original firmware on the router thinking it was the source of the problems. Although the drops are much less frequent now with dd-wrt installed, I still suspect the repeater (WN2000RPT) to be causing the drops.

usually i will always choose the official firmware instead because DD-WRT firmware is the free open-source stuff....
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

jamseymcgif wrote:
Same thing has been happening to me for a month I am on your 2nd Call stage with support, I have not had the energy to phone them back up again to be told do do something that obviously will not fix it.. the product does not work...... I was told at one stage it was because I had a cordless phone!!!

Come on Netgear... get your finger out!!!

just curious on what is the Router AP model name of it which the 2000RPT is connected??
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

Jeepix wrote:
Mine is doing the same things everyone else is talking about. I tried the auto-channel, hard-setting the channel, dynamic IP (with reservation), hard-setting the IP. It stays running for a little while and then you can't ping it any longer and the computers behind it can't be pinged. Reboot the repeater and all is happy again. I have a separate 54g wireless network on different channels that is working flawlessly.

This thing may work for certain people under certain conditions, but being a 13-year I.T. veteran, I have no idea why thing thing keeps dropping...it's going back to Fry's tomorrow and I'm looking for another product. This is only the second Netgear product I've ever been disappointed with (the other was a home-user router). However, the other products are all SMB products. You have to spend the extra money for the SMB to get a working product? Netgear can't make HOME equipment function properly?

mine WNR3500L is working OK with 2000RPT and the latest official f/w release....wut is ur router AP name?
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

THZ wrote:
For me the same difficulties: the connection gets lost after some time. The light gets red and I have to switch the WN2000RPT off and on again.
This may happen after 1 hour or after 3 or 4 hours. I have no idea why.
It seems that the problem occurs more often than some weeks ago. Very frustrating.
The router is configured with DHCP off, IP is 192.168.1.2, Gateway and DNS Server both 192.168.1.1.
Firmware 1.0.0.2.

I used WNR3500L as a Router AP and it is working with 2000RPT...what is the model name of you Router AP??
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

Rafal wrote:
I'm going through the same issues. This Netgear repeater is a piece of crap. I have tried everything and it still dropping internet access. This model should never been released from Netgear. So many people going through the same issue. it's last thing I bought from Netgear.

wut is the name of the Router AP which the 2000RPT is connected? I use WNR3500L(latest official f/w) and it's working OK so far...
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

zahc712 wrote:
I have tried everything in order for my extender to not drop the connection and have failed. I called tech support and they wanted me to pay for the support! I have had the router less than two weeks. I have updated the firmware changed to static ip I have done it all and it will still drop! I. Am returning this and getting another brand. :mad:

I had calling to Netgear tech. support and they seems nice and patient to my questions....I think you need to tell them your model name of the Router AP which the 2000RPT is connected...
~

Bond~~James_NOT_Bond~~
Novice

I have installed two WN2000RPT's for two different clients both with AT&T Uverse gateways (2wire). The first installation appeared to work just fine but the client was only using it to get an iPad connected.

The second WN2000RPT installation for another client has been having all sorts of problems staying connected to the internet. It will work for a while and then lose connectivity. The problem seems to be between the extender and the router. I can always ping or browse to the extender but can't always make it all the way to the router. I have tried updating the firmware on the extender, changing the router channel and of course talking to Netgear technical support. Netgear support has not been able to come up with a solution.

Something I have noticed is that the laptops I have tested that keep dropping the internet connection are Windows 7. I have not had any problems with my personal laptop running Windows XP. After discovering this I went back over to the location where I installed the first WN2000RPT and tested a Windows 7 laptop and guess what? Yep, it started dropping the internet connection.

Has anyone else noticed that the problem seems to be with machines running Windows 7? I really think this is a firmware problem with the WN2000RPT.
Top Contributors