Aspirant

(German) HowTo on setting up WGT624 as client/repeater/bridge

Hello everybody.

Yesterday I've written a HowTo on setting a WGT624 up as client or even as repeater/bridge.
Since I'd trouble to find such information around the net I thought it would be a good idea to provide that HowTo to the Netgear Forum (where ppl usually search for somehting like that Smiley Wink ).
It is written in German but if enough people would like to have it in English I would translate it and post it here.

Here is the link: http://www.vallstedt-networks.de/Forum/viewforum.php?f=13

have fun.
BeatJunkie
Virtuoso

Re: (German) HowTo on setting up WGT624 as client/repeater/bridge

The standard WGT624 does not support any of the modes that you refer to. I don’t read German, but it looks to me like you suggest installing a non-Netgear version of firmware, which would invalidate the warranty and would have no support from Netgear.
Aspirant

No. The WGT624 DOES support these modes.
The only problem is, that they are not supported by the built-in web UI.
The chipset which is used IN the WGT (Atheros) does support these modes, so the WGT itself supports them too.

The firmware isn't changed in any way.

I use a tool named "telnetEnable.exe" which is provided by Netgear itself in a official firmware update package to enable telnet functionallity for the WGT.
Then I use commands, provided by the built-in OS to enable client/bridge/repeater mode and stuff.

that's it.
No firmware modification or violations of warranty at all.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy
xen Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I've looked everywhere for telnetenable.exe. Seems even the link on your 'how to' is no longer active. I have found the C source, but will have trouble if I have to compile it myself. Any ideas where I can get it? Would it possible for someone who has it to email it to me please? :confused:
Aspirant

I uploaded the file to some filesharing service: http://files.to/get/349970/64662/telnetEnable.rar
xen Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah, you're a legend my friend. Thanks so much for the file, I appreciate it.Smiley Very Happy
Aspirant

Because I got some requests, I decided to translate it and put a English version of the HowTo online.
Here is the link: http://www.beatjunkie.de/Router_eng.htm

BeatJunkie
Aspirant

Looks like a good write up Beatjunkie! Any chance this process will work with a WGR614v6?
Aspirant

@AtLarge:
It definately should work also with a WGR614 since v5.
Afaik it has also running the telnet daemon.

It is even assumed to work with WPN824v1 and WG602.

Just try it out. Smiley Happy

BeatJunkie
xen Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

What's the best way to undo the changes? Will a simple reset suffice or do I have to telnet in and make changes?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Gavin.
Aspirant

Hi.
A reset (holding the reset button on the front of the device while powering on) always worked for me so far. Smiley Happy

BeatJunkie
Aspirant

Why isn't it possible to change my posts?! :mad:

Well. :cool:
In my last post I meant of course, just pressing the button for a while (not while powering on)... :rolleyes:

But there is another thing:

Because of someone who tried it out, I have to determine that the describen method does not work 1:1 on a WGR614.
You will be able to access the telnet shell, but you won't be able to set the device into client mode.
Just because it seems that the WGR614 is not capable of beeing a client. Smiley Sad

BeatJunkie.
Aspirant

BeatJunkie wrote:
Because of someone who tried it out, I have to determine that the describen method does not work 1:1 on a WGR614.
You will be able to access the telnet shell, but you won't be able to set the device into client mode.
Just because it seems that the WGR614 is not capable of beeing a client. Smiley Sad

BeatJunkie.

Though this is true, BeatJunkie's procedure does in fact, let a WGT624 speak to a WGR614 as a wireless client. This allowed me to use the WGR614 with my DSL as the host and bridge to my 10/100 backbone using the WGT624 wirelessly.

Schlagjunkie ist ein Meister

We should all bow down in his presence. Smiley Very Happy
Aspirant

What is the difference between the wireless bridge mode and wireless client mode? I wish to connect a wired Lan (several devices connected to a WGR624 by wire) to a WGR614 AP/router (I will call it the primary router) which is tied to the internet via the WAN connection.

When you set the WGT624 as a bridge or client, does that disable DHCP serving on the bridge/client? Does it simply pass through IP assignments from the DHCP server on the primary router?

Is it possible to set up the remote Lan so it can see the internet, but not the local wired Lan on the primary router. For example, suppose I give the remote Lan devices fixed IP addresses on an different subnet, and list those addresses on the primary server.
Aspirant

I just atttempted this with a new WGT624 version 3. The telnet shell worked as described, but I never got communications with my WGR614. Does it matter that the two are on different subnets? The 614 default is 192.168.0.x and the 624 is 192.168.1.x.
Aspirant

The routers should connect to each other anyway.
Things that happen above layer 2 (like TCP/IP) doesn't interest them.

You should check if your WGT appears in your WGR's attached devices list.
If it appears, it is definately not a problem with the WLAN.

If it doesn't, you should check if you did the steps exactly as describen in the HowTo.
Maybe your WEP key is wrong, or you typed in the wrong remoteAP MAC.
There are several things that could go wrong.

But anyway.
I would suggest to set up both of them up to the same subnet if you use the WAN port of one of the routers.
Just because you can't set up the router as your default gateway on your PC if the router is not in the same subnet as the PC.

Try it out and if it is still not working drop me a mail and I will try to help you fixing your problem.

BeatJunkie.
Aspirant

I have a WGT624v2 and was looking at connecting it to a DG834 and was wondering if the same process will work with the v2 of the WGT624.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Aspirant

To make it short: yes, it should work the same way. Smiley Happy

BeatJunkie.
Aspirant

hey thanks for this info,

I now have a WGT624v2 in client mode connected to an Actiontec MI424WR that came with my verizon fios package - works great!

Danke!
Aspirant

Hey.
Nice to hear that. Smiley Happy

Bitte, gern geschehen. Smiley Very Happy

BeatJunkie.
Aspirant

Hi, I have a small problem: my wgt624v2 seems not to be able to connect to my speedport w700v. when i enter the repeater function in the configuration menue of w700v it sometimes shows the netgear router and tells me that there's no reception but most of the time it doesn't even detect the router.
i wanted to use the wgt624 as a repeater to extend the range of my network, anyway is it possible to use the wgt624v2 as a repeater for the speedport w700v?

Beatjunkie hilf mir bitte!!! Smiley Surprised
Aspirant

Hi.

Well, the repeater mode isn't probably the best choice. You should use the WGT in client mode and connect your PC with LAN cable to it.
But it should nevertheless be possible to set it into repater mode (if you actually want that).
You normally just need to replace the "set oper" with "set repeater".
For this, you shouldn't need to set any remote AP MACs or stuff like that.

But I must determine that I have not tested it yet, so I can't tell you for sure, if it will work right away.
You'll maybe (or rather even probably) need some tweaking.

BeatJunkie.

PS: Wenns gar nicht klappt, schick mir halt 'ne Mail und wir schaun mal ob wirs trotzdem hinkriegen. - Aber probier erstmal aus. Smiley Happy
Novice

Hey, I am trying to set up my router as a wireless bridge. After I run the telnetenable which seems to work fine (no errors), when I try to telnet to the router, nothing happens. hitting any key causes it to just go back to the prompt. Any idea whats going on?

WGT624 V3
Aspirant

Hi.
This normally happens if something went wrong when using the telnetenable tool.
I guess you either typed in the wrong MAC/IP address or you typed in a wrong user/pass.

BeatJunkie.
Novice

Hi there,

First of all, may I just congratulate BeatJunkie on an excellent set of instructions. In my experience on the internet, it's very rare to find a set of instructions as clear and concise as yours, so well done!

Now for my question. I'm trying to set up a WGT624v3 to work as a wireless bridge with my DG834v3. I followed your instructions, and everything seemed to go perfectly, but the WGT624 doesn't seem to be connecting to the DG834. The wireless light blinks, but in a uniform pattern, not like you'd expect to see if there was traffic.

I've tried a few reboots, and if I don't achieve success I can always start from scratch, make sure I got the WEP settings correct etc. But there were a couple of points I wanted to clarify first:

1. When using the WGT624 as a bridge, which port should the connected equipment use? One of the LAN ports, or the WAN port?

2. Both Netgear products have the same default IP - 192.168.1.1. Could this be why they're not working together? The equipment connected to the WGT624 seems to show that it still has an IP of 192.168.1.1, but that's the IP of the DG834 too, so something can't be right surely?

Thanks for your help!