× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Highlighted
Aspirant

Need help setting up WNDR3400 as access point or repeater

Hi,

I am trying to set up my WNDR3400 as an access point or wireless repeater to another Netgear router located upstairs that I have a cat5 LAN connection to.

I'm in the admin section of my router under "wireless repeating function" and I have the MAC address of the Netgear router upstairs, which I need to set mine up as the repeater. However, when I try to select the box " Enable Wireless Repeating Function (2.4GHz b/g/n)" I get an alert box that tells me :
"The wireless security options WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES), and WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) are not available if you enable the wireless repeating function.
Please change your security option before you enable the wireless repeating function. "

I can't seem to find out where to turn these security measures off. Where do I turn these off so I can continue to set this up as a repeater to cover the bottom floor of the building? :confused:

Thanks,
Dan

Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Need help setting up WNDR3400 as access point or repeater

There’s quite a difference between an Access Point and a Repeater (your first line). AP needs a wired connection to your network, repeating connects wirelessly to your network.

In this case the ‘3400 is trying to tell you that to be able to connect to your network your base router’s WiFi encryption needs to be changed to WEP. This is being phased out and depending on the model / firmware of that base router WEP may not even be an option. If it is an option, then typically WEP is not a recommended method as it is now considered to be very weak.

If you can run a cable back to the base router then the AP mode would be better, otherwise you could use something like Powerline products to make that link as they are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Babylon5. I actually already have a cat5 wired connection to the router upstairs so turning it into an Access point would be preferable. However, I can't seem to find any way to do that in the SmartWizard interface for my router. Can you tell me or direct me to info on how to do that?

The only thing I've found so far was how to do that using Netgear Genie, which is really straightforward, but my router does not have that interface.

Thanks,
Dan
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some of the newer model Netgear routers have that function built into the configuration settings, but I don’t believe your WNDR3400 does.

In your case the steps would be;

1. In the Gateway router reduce the DHCP range, e.g. end at .199 which should be more than enough.

2. With the ‘3400 not connected to the router but with a wired connection to the configuring PC, set any options that you want to e.g. wireless rates / encryption / SSID. Port forwarding or any other ‘routing’ functions will not apply when set up as an AP, so don’t bother with them.

3. Go to the ‘3400 LAN Setup page and set both the IP address, and disable DHCP. Make both settings before pressing the ‘Apply’ button because when you do the PC may well lose its connection to the ‘3400. The IP address to use is any free IP address above the DHCP pool of the router, so if you use my example range in step 1 you would use something like 192.168.1.200 (easy to remember).

4. Connect the ‘3400 to the main router, LAN port to LAN port, don’t use the WAN port of the ‘3400.

It’s fairly simple really, after setting up the ‘3400 admin pages will be at http:192.168.1.200 (or whatever subnet the base router uses). The three remaining LAN ports can be used for wired connections, but the WAN port should remain unused.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi Andy,

I never would have thought to plug in the cat5 cord from the upstairs router into the LAN ports of mine instead of the WAN. Thanks for that!

That setup seems to have worked. Speed is good although Latency is still high (57ms). I've been unable to get into the original router's settings because the fellow who set it up passed away last year and nobody else knows the password. I can reset it and give it a new password if necessary, but I'm reluctant to do so because there are phones, tablets and computers hooked up to it. For now it seems to be working.

Thanks again,
Dan
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some success then.

The purpose of setting the router (AP) LAN IP is so that you can easily access its config pages. If you are unable to access the base router (the DHCP server) then you can take a chance in using a high IP in the subnet range for the AP, with the expectation that the router will not allocate IPs up to that range. If however you run into issues with that setup, then you can always set the AP with an IP on a different subnet e.g. 10.0.0.99, then to access its settings you would have to temporarily set an IP on the configuring PC on the same subnet e.g. 10.0.0.123. It’s actually a lot simpler to do than it might seem.