Aspirant

Big Problem with NetGear WNA3100

[ Edited ]

I bought yesterday NetGear3100 usb wireless adapter
But I have a problem,when the installation of the software ends and ask me to
put on usb the adapter,I press next but the dsicovery of the product never started Smiley Sad in the device manager of the windows it seems to be recognized
but in the properties in device status write this:Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) :eek:
I have Windows Vista Sp2 32-bit and all the last updates of windows
P.S:I want to mentioned that the whole process went perfect on my laptop
with windows 7 64-bit:cool:
P.S 2:Also I have installed a wg311 adapter as a pci,and works okSmiley Wink

Luminary

Re: Big Problem with NetGear WNA3100

try placing the WNDA3100 on different USB slot
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
try placing the WNDA3100 on different USB slot

i tried this already
Aspirant

I just bought the WNA3100 and I have the exact same issue. Yes, I tried another USB slot. It never finishes detecting the device.

The device manager shows the adapter operating as normal but the Windows 7 says the adapter has issues.

I may just have to go with a Belkin.
Aspirant

Vincent1980 wrote:
i tried this already

out of curiosity, do you plug the device in while windows is already booted, or have your tried to have it plugged in while windows boots ? - im curious to see if that makes any changes - hopefully it would, but.. - vista is a bit odd at times.

good luck tho.
Aspirant

I have the same problem...have tried with the reboot, still no luck. Even tried uninstalling kaspersky as per netgear support and still does not detect the adapter in any of my ports. I guess i am returning the netgear and trying another brand.
Aspirant

i have the same problem.i unistalled kaspersky , changed port,rebooted,installed it in another pc,install latest driver ......nothing !:mad::mad::mad::mad:the only reasons are :another program block the device setup or netgear adapter is useless in vista sp2:eek:
Aspirant

I had a similar installation problem. The solution was to download and install the latest version of the driver from Netgear web site. However, while the unit then works, it has a problem of dropping out after a couple of hours. Communication can be restored by ejecting it, when the SmartWizard unloads itself, and then reinserting the adapter, when the SmartWizard automatically reloads and detects and connects to the network. However, it cannot be restored simply by re-scanning as it fails to detect any networks, let alone connect to them!Smiley Sad
Aspirant

i have similar problems with the WNA 3100. It connects but the icon shows "scanning" . Drops out for no reason during the day. Also Skype will not work. Took the first one back to the store. This is the second one. Tried different ports, inserting after Win Xp boots. no help.
Aspirant

Since my last post I returned the original WNA3100 adapter to Netgear, and it was replaced. Within a week it was exhibiting the same problem of dropping out of connection with the network. Clearly, then, the problem MUST be with the software. I have tried checking (today) that the Windows driver is current, and it is. However, Windows Vista thinks this is only a Wireless G adapter, not Wireless N. I was thinking of removing the Netgear software and just running it via Windows (Vista Home Premium SP2) but without the speed of N I wouldn't get adequate performance from this supposedly Wireless N adapter. It has become exceedingly frustrating to constantly have to check whether the adapter is still connected on both channels 6 & 10 before accessing a web page or sending an email. The disconnection occurs in two stages. First, channel 10 disconnects, leaving only wireless G connectivity incoming and no outgoing connection. Then the channel 6 also disconnects some time later and when the WNA3100 driver is opened it shows Ch. 0 with maximum signal strength, but in the scan window no networks are seen, and scanning doesn't discover any. The only workable remedy is to disconnect (BTW the safely remove hardware icon never loads for this adapter), wait for the driver icon to turn red and then remove itself from the system tray, then plug into a different USB port, when the driver will reload and reconnect to both channels 6 and 10 as though there was nothing wrong, Usually the scan shows my network and another network from a nearby home with a much lower signal.

Hasn't anybody come up with a fix yet? In six months? Are you guys all asleep? Where is Netgear in this discussion?:mad:
Aspirant

I am having this issue as described too. One thing I am testing - I have re-installed the latest version of the USB 2.0 drivers specific to my Motherboard. After 3 hours - so far so good... I am not confident that getting a replacement adapter will fix the issue. If the problem starts to recur - someone needs to review the adapter drivers.

BTW - this thread sould probably get moved to the "wireless adapter" forum.

Cheers.
Novice

I installed a WNA3100 adapter Oct 3, 2011. It work for one day. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. It worked intermittently. On a reboot, it was not always recognized. I tried unplugging it and plugging back into the same USB port and different ports. It was always recognized. Internet access kept coming and going. Finally, I uninstalled the software and installed just the windows specific driver. I then manually set up a new wireless connection in control panel. So far so good.

tslans
Aspirant

I have the same problem as the original poster, with my WNA3100 adapter getting stuck on the 'detecting adapter' part of the installation. I have tried every 'fix' that I can find on the net including; different USB ports, remove security programmes like kapersky, downloading the driver from Netgear, manually installing the drivers, disabled and the re-enabled the INTEL adapters, rebooted, un-installed then re-installed the software and I have even taken it back to the store and gotten a replacement USB but still, nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Really, what is the point Netgear in selling faulty equipment? I mean, I'm obviously not the only one who has had the same problem and it is really infuriating. Furthermore, if I cannnot get this product to work I will NEVER EVER be using Netgear again and will warn everyone I can off of it. Really, its that simple; poor equipment, no customers.

For those who try to help, thanks.
Aspirant

Same problem for me but I think I've fixed it.
I went to 3100 properties and found that the allow the computer to turn this device off box was checked. I unchecked it and the 3100 stopped scanning and came back online.
Pure luck as I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
So far so good it's still connected.
Aspirant

Hi,

i have the same problem too. I tried everything described in this topic, but still no result. Any fix for this?

Thx in advance
Tomiu
Aspirant

+1
but with Windows 7 64bit

There is something wrong with this device in general. Was a nightmare to install by following the instructions, wizard stalls (for hours) while trying to find the device then says it can't detect the device if you pull it out.

Will be taking it back and requesting an alternative, rather than a replacement.
Aspirant

Gee I wish I read this thread before I bought this.

I am so mad that i spend time registering this forum just to post it.

Agree with the point that if I could not find a fix for this I will not buy netgear product forever and recommend everyone not to....

Sounds like the only solution is to take this back to the shop and ask for an alternative.... sigh......
Novice

I had a similar experience like most posters here. After loading the CD, the Wizard asked me to restart my computer, and then insert the wireless USB adapter. Mind you, the adapter was already in a USB from a previous step. It went as far as saying "Detecting Adapter" and then did nothing. After several phone calls to Netgear Support, where they told me to upload the file from their website (kind of hard to do since I couldn't connect to the Internet hence the reason I called them in the first place), then exchange the adapter for another one, then try to install the adapter on another computer (again hard to do since I don't have another one in the house), I finally returned it and bought a Belkin. The Belkin works like a charm. Thanks for nothing, Netgear!
Aspirant

Hi,
DO you knowhow to retrieve a a password for the WNA3100. I creted one and cant remember it or find it. Thank you
Luminary

cee_cee wrote:
Hi,
DO you knowhow to retrieve a a password for the WNA3100. I creted one and cant remember it or find it. Thank you

wna3100 is wireless adpater, if you need wireless encryption information you need to login the your wireless router and retiree or update encryption and update ALL wifi devices
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Novice

Just spent 2 hours on this problem with "Detecting". I'm using XP. Completely riduculous!!! NetGear wake up and comment. I'm taking it back if I don't hear by morning and putting NetGear on my black list. Installing should not be this hard.
Novice

The problem is Kaspersky NDIS 6 Filter is blocking the adapter from being recognized and accessing wireless signals.

Try this:

After (failed) installation and failure to detect adapter,

1) Start > Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center
2) Click on "Change Adapter Settings". (located below Control Panel Home on the top left)
3) You will see an adapter icon called "Wireless Network Settings". (If you already have another wireless adapter in your computer this would appear as "Wireless Settings 2" or x.
4) Right click on this icon > Properties. Under the tab "Networking", Within the pane "This connection uses the following settings", there are many items with check marks against them.
5) Uncheck "Kaspersky Antivirus NDIS 6 Filter" & click OK.
6) Right click on the same "Wireless Settings x" icon and choose Enable.

It worked for me.
Aspirant

Hi! There is a settings in usb device properties to allow power saving. It may be a reason of your issue.

Right click on my computer go down to properties

In Device Manager look for "network adapters"

look for "wireless n-300 usb adapter WNA3100"

Right click go to properties now under "power management" and disable power saving it may help. Good luck!
Aspirant

Mine was shutting down five minutes after plugging it in. Disabled the power shut down option, been running for hours. Good deal.Smiley Happy
Aspirant

I made an account just for this post, I hope this helps some of you out. Please read my whole post before doing ANYTHING. Just skim it at first.

If you are having trouble connecting to a network with WNA3100 like I was, this will hopefully help. I'll try to be as detailed as I can. IF THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK FOR YOU, REPLY TO ME AND I WILL FIND ONE THAT SPECIFICALLY FITS YOUR NEEDS! If I don't reply, EMAIL me at alex.j.soutas@gmail.com-that way i'll be notified on my phone.

Method:

-Download the latest driver here (don't worry i'm not a brainless help desk person-the driver is really important- http://bit.ly/1npzoGW)

-Extract the WNA3100_DriverOnly folder to your desktop

-Double click the Setup

-When it prompts you to plug in the WNA3100 adapter, restart your computer. Don't plug the adapter in.

-When you restart your computer, MASH THE F8 button to get into Safe Mode With Networking.

-When you login, NOW plug in your WNA3100 adapter and let the driver install. You should see a little popup that says "Blah blah installed successfully" (We all know that means nothing).

-Hopefully it should now list your WiFi SSID (ie: Bob's Network), but don't worry-I know you still can't connect; Netgear didn't want it to be THAT easy for you.

-Try to join your network; we know it wont work, but STILL this is IMPORTANT. Connect and type in the password or whatever, and hit connect. Let it load, and let it give you an error that it couldn't connect. This is fine.

-Now, here's the mind-numbingly simple part. See that button on your WNA3100 adapter? Press it. Yes, the little button ON the Netgear adapter. Just press the thing once. JUST ONCE!

-BAM! If you didn't connect to your network, then just go into networks->Right click on your network->Disconnect->then try to connect again.

(keep in mind this all happened in Safe mode with Networking starting from when I told you to do go into Safe Mode.)

-Restart your computer afterward, and you should have a stable connection. This got it working for me, and I hope it works for you.

Like I said, if this did NOT work for you, email me at the email I posted in the beginning. I will not reply if you send me a message that says "omg pls help theadpter not working bruh".

Send me a detailed email about what's wrong with it, what the error messages are VERBATIM-or as close as you can, etc etc.

Hope I could help. Thanks all.
Discussion Stats