× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4GHz and 5GHz band LED lights consistently blink causing intermittent wifi connection

dosinia
Aspirant

2.4GHz and 5GHz band LED lights consistently blink causing intermittent wifi connection

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

I've been using my Netgear router for about five years now and it's been great. Normally, I will work on several wireless devices in close proximity to the router and not experience any wifi problems -- unless it's related to the internet connection which has happened in the past.

Today I was working from my laptop for several hours when all of a sudden I wasn't connected wirelessly to the internet. Then I was connected...and then disconnected...then connected...then disconnected... This constant connection/disconnection is still happening as I'm writing this post. I troubleshooted and checked various things.

1. My internet is working. I am wired right now which is how I am able to write this post.

2. I went to the Netgear website troubleshooting pages and followed instructions related to posts I found about intermittent wireless connections.

3. I logged into my router's web interface page (www.routerlogin.net) and changed channels, modes, and thresholds. Then rebooted the router after every change. I also updated the firmware to V1.0.0.52_1.0.81. The device driver is also updated.

None of these fixed my problem. However I did eventually notice that my 2.4GHz and 5 GHz LED lights are both blinking differently that what I remember. In the past sometimes they both blink at the same time when they are sending or receiving data. Sometimes they are both ON. But now they are constantly blinking (the 2.4GHz is green and the 5GHz is blue; the power and internet lights are green and solid; the port number from where I'm wired is also green and solid).

In trying to figure out this problem, I timed the blinking (not sure if this matters). Both blink OFF for about 8 seconds and blink ON for about 12 seconds. Is this normal?

After spending all evening trying to sort this out, I ran out of options and am hopelessly frustrated. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? It's possible that the more aggravated I got, I may have missed a step or two (or three). Or just maybe, my router of five years has given up (hopefully this is not the case). But I will certainly appreciate any suggestions you may have to arrive at a solution.

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: 2.4GHz and 5GHz band LED lights consistently blink causing intermittent wifi connection

Try resetting the router to factory default, to see if it sorts out the wireless. The wireless could be failing. Five years is a long time in a routers life..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Re: 2.4GHz and 5GHz band LED lights consistently blink causing intermittent wifi connection

Try resetting the router to factory default, to see if it sorts out the wireless. The wireless could be failing. Five years is a long time in a routers life..

Message 2 of 6
dosinia
Aspirant

I reset the router to its factory settings. It took me a while after I did this to get things going again since I also had to reconfigure the connection between the router, modem, and wired computer. After several reboots, I am having the same problem. I failed to mention that the Wifi LED light on the router is OFF -- this may explain why both wireless bands are blinking the way they are.

I went to the routerlogin.net site and confirmed that both bands have the "Enable Wireless Router Radio" box checked (under Advanced Setup --> Wireless Settings). I also pressed the Wifi button (on the back of my router) to turn it OFF and then ON.

I think at this point it's time for a new router, but I welcome any other steps you think I should try. Thanks again for your help.

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like you've done everything. 

Usually a firmware upgrade or a factory reset should have corrected this. 

Just what @netwrks have suggested, it's time to get a new router. 

Message 4 of 6
dosinia
Aspirant

Ok, the firmware upgrade and factory reset are good things to know if I have similar problems in the future.  I will be looking for a new router very soon.  

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Check out our variety of routers below.

WiFi Routers

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7