× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6000 not working following firmware upgrade

elysea
Aspirant

D6000 not working following firmware upgrade

The firmware update version 1.0.0.75 did not complete and my device is no longer working. I have tried to do a factory reset but it's not responding to this. The release notes mention that an issue may result in corrupt firmware. Does this mean by device is now unuseable?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
elysea
Aspirant

Thanks. I got a tech in from one of those mobile services that come to your home to do the recovery as I was over it, but after commenting about how many times I've had to reset the router since owning it for the last 7 months he suggested I had a lemon so I returned under warranty and got a new one of the same model. We've been all good since. Appreciate the response.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> The firmware update version 1.0.0.75 did not complete [...]

How, exactly, did you perform this update?

> [...] my device is no longer working. [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.  What do the LED
indicators indicate?  

> [...] I have tried to do a factory reset [...]

"tried" how, exactly?

> [...] but it's not responding to this.

What is it doing?

As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Without a more informative description of the router's behavior, it's
tough to be confident of anything, but you may be a candidate for the
TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

Message 2 of 5
elysea
Aspirant

Thanks. This is my first time using a forum like this and only did because I got desperate as it appeared netgear don't provide any support unless you have their support package and I don't know what to do. The release notes simply finish with 'Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it  may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.'.

I purchased the router in January 2018 so out of free 90 day support.

I performed the firmware update by - downloading the update file from the netgear website, saving to my desktop, selecting the firmware update in netgear genie, and uploading the update file. It got stuck at 71%. I left for at least half hour but it didn't move so I did a page refresh (F5). I then got an error 405 - HTTP verb used to access this page is not allowed. I then lost internet connection and wasn't able to restart the update. I tried a factory reset by pressing the reset button at the back of the router using a safety pin. The power LED light is flashing green. All other lights are green on the router.

Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] It got stuck at 71%. I left for at least half hour but it didn't
> move [...]

If it gets stuck for more than a few minutes, then it's probably
stuck forever.

> [...] The power LED light is flashing green. All other lights are
> green on the router.

I'd try the TFTP recovery scheme.

Message 4 of 5
elysea
Aspirant

Thanks. I got a tech in from one of those mobile services that come to your home to do the recovery as I was over it, but after commenting about how many times I've had to reset the router since owning it for the last 7 months he suggested I had a lemon so I returned under warranty and got a new one of the same model. We've been all good since. Appreciate the response.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7