× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frequent disconnects on 1 device (several times an hour)

JustSomeGuy2
Aspirant

Frequent disconnects on 1 device (several times an hour)

Hi,

I bought the N300/WNR2020v2 from Amazon about a month ago. Firmware is latest (V1.1.0.32_1.0.1). I can't quite remember if it ever worked right, but I get frequent disconnects. And by frequent I mean multiple times an hour (up to 10, 20 30, times an hour). Sometimes my connection will last 30min, sometimes 2min. I'm a developer and I work from home, so this has become completely unworkable. I absolutely can't do anything for more than a few minutes without being disconnected.

Things I've tried, with no success:

- Changing channels

- Reducing MTU to 1420

- Different DNS (8.8.8.8, ..)

- Changing speeds 54/150/300

When the connection drops, it's not just my internet connection, I can't ping the router either (so I have no internet, and no local networking).

I had a different router before, and everything worked just fine (ASUS WL-330gE). Unfortunately, I lost it, so I can't return to it.

I should also say that I have a fair amount of devices connected (maybe 10), but you know, that's just modern life (printer, computers, phones, dropcams, ...).

Advice? I basically can't work. This is very frustrating.

Model: WNR2020v2|N300 WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JustSomeGuy2
Aspirant

Re: Frequent disconnects on 1 device (several times an hour)

Actually, I talked to my wife after posting this, and she said she's not experiencing the issue. I tried to let her computer open watching the Dropcam next to mine (so I have something that constantly uses the connection and that I can monitor easily), and she experiences no drop, meaning the issue might actually be my computer (which is weird because it works fine at work).

Stumbled upon this:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/235739/constantly-dropping-internet-on-el-capitan/248228

And it seems that this may have fixed it:

sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

I'll update in a bit to see if that really fixed it. I've seen the issue on my phone too, so I'm not 100% sure this is it. We'll see.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So you bought it a month and cannot remember if it ever worked? If you can return it do so, if not try a reset to factory defaults, use the default settings and hope it works.

Message 2 of 5
JustSomeGuy2
Aspirant

Actually, I talked to my wife after posting this, and she said she's not experiencing the issue. I tried to let her computer open watching the Dropcam next to mine (so I have something that constantly uses the connection and that I can monitor easily), and she experiences no drop, meaning the issue might actually be my computer (which is weird because it works fine at work).

Stumbled upon this:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/235739/constantly-dropping-internet-on-el-capitan/248228

And it seems that this may have fixed it:

sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

I'll update in a bit to see if that really fixed it. I've seen the issue on my phone too, so I'm not 100% sure this is it. We'll see.

Message 3 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How was it?

Was it fixed?

Message 4 of 5
JustSomeGuy2
Aspirant

Yes, that fixed it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7