× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use WNR2000 as an access point

waynel
Aspirant

How to use WNR2000 as an access point

Hi

I have just bought a Netgear WNR2000 and need to operate it as an access point as I already have a router that is connected to the isp WAN.

How do I confiure the WNR2000 as an access point. The other routers is WNR854T?

Also, if both routers are step up as router how can I access a NAS that is on one router via the other router?
Regards

WayneL
Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: How to use WNR2000 as an access point

To set up as an access point do these things in this order; 1. Configure the wireless rate, channel and security as you want them, 2. Set the ‘access point’ IP address to an address on the subnet of your LAN e.g. 192.168.1.200, disable DHCP then click apply (in the LAN Settings page), 3. Connect nothing to the WAN (Internet) port, connect by cable from a LAN port of the ‘access point’ to a LAN port of the router. 4. Change the DHCP range of the router so that it ends at 192.168.1.199 The second part of your question doesn’t apply to the above, but if you did have these two routers in series with both operating as routers then you would need to change the subnet of one of the routers to a different Private subnet, and you may get away with accessing both subnets by setting up static routes, but I’ve never had need to try that arrangement so can’t be sure.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 40

All Replies
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

To set up as an access point do these things in this order; 1. Configure the wireless rate, channel and security as you want them, 2. Set the ‘access point’ IP address to an address on the subnet of your LAN e.g. 192.168.1.200, disable DHCP then click apply (in the LAN Settings page), 3. Connect nothing to the WAN (Internet) port, connect by cable from a LAN port of the ‘access point’ to a LAN port of the router. 4. Change the DHCP range of the router so that it ends at 192.168.1.199 The second part of your question doesn’t apply to the above, but if you did have these two routers in series with both operating as routers then you would need to change the subnet of one of the routers to a different Private subnet, and you may get away with accessing both subnets by setting up static routes, but I’ve never had need to try that arrangement so can’t be sure.
Message 2 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 3 of 40
waynel
Aspirant

Thanks Mars Mug,

Ive got some way but my access point is showing a connection but when I connect to it via wifi I get limited connectivity and cannot access the internet via the main router. :confused:

Any other pointers?

Cheers
WayneL
Message 4 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

post ipconfig results

post what is the wireless settings you are using
post what wireless adapter model connecting
post what is SSID NAME you are using on both
Message 5 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I forgot to say that since your other router is wireless you should also change the Netgear channel to be a non-overlapping channel e.g. if the router is on channel 6 then set the Netgear to channel 1 or channel 11. The SSID and encryption method / key can be the same for both to make wireless roaming easier.

This should not be the cause of your failure to connect to the Internet though, as June suggested please post ipconfig data, at a Command Prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories) type ipconfig /all (it’s possible to copy and paste from a Command Prompt but I can’t remember the key functions to do this). Do this from the PC which when it has the ‘Limited Connectivity’ issue of course.
Message 6 of 40
waynel
Aspirant

Hi Mars Mug I have saved some screen shots and the ipconfig files of both routers, in the mht file saved on yahoo's file server. I now find that both router are accessable in their own right but trying to access my file server on the router via my "access point" (convered router) is inposiable :(. http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMaPTOaxQNVC_LgTDlxlvafPrQP29JvoIH6MgGybyJOjqYVREVozzASvD81XEf4NwpF6_zU... Cheers WayneL
Message 7 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Don't see the URL unless my phone cant
Message 8 of 40
waynel
Aspirant

Sorry try this If this does not work can you rec a file server? http://download776.mediafire.com/h5t7ld3i9fcg/01wqke187to8nzk/Access+point+to+a+router+router.mht
Message 9 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

post screenshot at imageshack.us
Message 10 of 40
waynel
Aspirant

OK, Ive used my own domain.
you can download a zip file here.
http://i73.co.uk/Access point to a router router.zipx

Cheers
WayneL
Message 11 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

simply post at imageshack.us.
Message 12 of 40
waynel
Aspirant
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/how_to_access_point.pdf

do NOT use internet port of wnr2000.. read pdf again
Message 14 of 40
cjl
Novice
Novice

I am getting conflicting message here. One said that we should use same SSID/security ID for both wireless routers, the other said that we use different SSID. I would prefer the former. What should we use? Thanks.
Message 15 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It's only as preference

You can do either as your prefer
Message 16 of 40
Devor
Luminary

Here's a snippet from my forever evolving generic 'How to increase the wireless range' guide:

Using the same SSID, security type and passphrase on both devices will make roaming easier, but tracking which device you are currently connected to will be made more difficult. It's also recommended that different channels are used.
Message 17 of 40
gwtechie72
Aspirant

I am having the same problem... I have two WNR2000 Routers.. The main router (Base) has a different wifi name and password then the second router... the channels are completly different on both as well.. On the other router that I want to setup as a AP.. I setup the wifi with a different name and password.. then I went to the advance tab and disabled the router DHCP.. Then connected the ether from WAN on the AP to the Lan port on the base connection.. on the router screen that I am setting up as a AP I enabled AP and clicked apply when I was done.. at the top of the screen in yellow it states that the mode is Access point.. I am not getting any connection just says limited or no connection.. Can someone please help?:confused:
Message 18 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use LAN out of 2nd unit to LAN port of the first router
Message 19 of 40
gwtechie72
Aspirant

Once that is done should I reboot the modem and both routers?
Message 20 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Would be good idea...
Message 21 of 40
woutie
Aspirant

Mars Mug wrote:
To set up as an access point do these things in this order;

1. Configure the wireless rate, channel and security as you want them,

2. Set the ‘access point’ IP address to an address on the subnet of your LAN e.g. 192.168.1.200, disable DHCP then click apply (in the LAN Settings page),

3. Connect nothing to the WAN (Internet) port, connect by cable from a LAN port of the ‘access point’ to a LAN port of the router.

4. Change the DHCP range of the router so that it ends at 192.168.1.199

The second part of your question doesn’t apply to the above, but if you did have these two routers in series with both operating as routers then you would need to change the subnet of one of the routers to a different Private subnet, and you may get away with accessing both subnets by setting up static routes, but I’ve never had need to try that arrangement so can’t be sure.

This worked for me - perfect!
Message 22 of 40
moosehead
Aspirant

trying to use same 2000 as an access point connected to a 4300.
I checked access point on 2000 and plugged it into the 4300. I get internet when connected to either router.
My first problem is that I can not access the admin page of the 2000 wirelessly. it does not matter what router I am connected to wirelessly. Do I have to be connected wired to see access the second router?

Using Genie, I can not see the second router
Message 23 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure WNR2000 LAN port out to LAN port of 4300

and BOTH has different IP . .. use IP of the router and should be fine
Message 24 of 40
moosehead
Aspirant

I cant seem to get the router to accept as an access point.
I check the box for access point but nothing happens when I click on apply
Message 25 of 40
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7