× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Incorrect log messages

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Incorrect log messages

I have two Wireless security cams that are saving video to a NAS (Buffalo drive on readyshare with no password).

However, in my router logs I have;

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:06, Monday, October 24,2016 20:34:44
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca, Monday, October 24,2016 20:33:49

These messages are occurring every minute.

The wireless setup is correct as far as I can tell. The cam SSID, password, WPA2-PSK, AES settings are all correct. Everything is working fine; I can wirelessly connect to the cameras to adjust settings etc., the cams are writing their video via FTP to the Buffalo and all seems ok.

But obviously the cams are trying to connect and cannot. What am I doing wrong?, any ideas?

Model: WNR2200|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Today I reverted to my previous modem unit and my internet service is now fully restored and working properly.

The cam messages are still appearing, such as;

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca, Friday, October 28,2016 19:35:33

The operation of the cams, their http access and the ftp connection to the NAS is all working properly. I'll just live with the messages. I don't know why they occur but I suspect it's when the cams both want ftp access concurrently (it's the only theory which seems to fit).

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @TheEagle 

Welcome to the community!

Are those MAC Addresses are your wireless security cameras? Verify if those MAC addresses are yours or not. 

If not, someone or some wireless devices are trying to access your wireless network. 

Message 2 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, they're my cameras. I can access their web interface via Wireless, they can save video to my NAS by wireless, but they keep throwing that access message. Not sure what's going on. They also update via NTP and that works.

I have the ftp setup with no password (wireless only no http), so the cams have authentication "on", the username set as "guest" and no password. I also tried turning authentication "off" but the result was the same.

Message 3 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you turned off the wireless encryption on the router, will it show the same logs? 

Message 4 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

By changing the router wireless to "None" instead of WPA2-PSK[AES]?

Message 5 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's right. 

Let's try to isolate and see whether if you will get the same message under logs. 

By the way, what's the brand of those cameras? 

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router? 

Message 6 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I updated the router firmware to the latest.

The cams are both "Ucam247 1080p Full HD outdoor wireless WiFi security camera. UCam247-HDO1080". The manuals are here http://www.ucam247.com/technical-help-and-support and I refer to this manual http://static.ucam247.com/upload/files/Camera_User_Manual.pdf

Message 7 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did it disappear from the logs after disabling wireless security? 

Message 8 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Elaine,

So if I flick that switch in the router, will my home network stay up?, or do I need to change the wireless settings of all things on the network?

Message 9 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It will stay up, though I suggest that you test this only for a few minutes due to the fact that it will be unsecured.

Check your logs right away as soon as they're connected to the network without security. 

Message 10 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

During the 5 minutes I turned off the encryption (WPA2-PSK), there were no cam messages. Messages resumed when encryption re-enabled.

Message 11 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No subsequent messages for last 90 minutes, they seem to have stopped (cams are still working fine),

Message 12 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still have the encryption enabled? 

Message 13 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Encryption is on.

I checked the logs for today and I get one set of messages that says;

[Access Control] Device NC328W-IR-1080P with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:06 is allowed to access the network. Thursday, October 
[Access Control] Device NC328W-IR-1080P with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:CA is allowed to access the network. Thursday, October 

and the rest of the log is all;

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:06, Thursday, October 27,2016 19:24:01
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca, Thursday, October 27,2016 19:23:01
Message 14 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I wonder if downgrading the firmware will correct the logs. 

Message 15 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It was doing this behaviour, so I updated the firmware and it's still doing it. So I know the current and the 'current-1' versions behave the same.

I really don't know what's going on, I think I must have tried every combination of settings but still the same result. I'm getting internet dropouts quite often since I upgraded from a Ubee hub to the VM SuperHub (in modem mode). Unfortunately I can't go backwards on that to try it, since the old modem is no longer provisioned on the network. The dropouts were the reason I started checking the router logs.

Message 16 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try to adjust the MTU on the router and see if that will help the intermittent internet connection. 

Message 17 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The intermittent internet is a bug with the VM SuperHub 3, it drops the connection every 34 minutes. There is a pending firmware update for that which I'm trying to find out when that will be released. If it's weeks away, then I will revert to the previous hub (I use it in modem mode), but to do that I need VM to re-enable it.

I doubt the H3 is causing the access errors.

Message 18 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps, wait for that firmware first.

As far as the router is concerned, there will be no future firmware updates on that. 

That model has been considered EOL. 

Message 19 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Today I reverted to my previous modem unit and my internet service is now fully restored and working properly.

The cam messages are still appearing, such as;

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca, Friday, October 28,2016 19:35:33

The operation of the cams, their http access and the ftp connection to the NAS is all working properly. I'll just live with the messages. I don't know why they occur but I suspect it's when the cams both want ftp access concurrently (it's the only theory which seems to fit).

Message 20 of 21
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update. 

I don't have any idea as well but it could be a firmware bug that unfortunately can't be corrected anymore. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7