× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JWNR2010v5 Guest Area with connection LAN to LAN

DanielPaviotti
Aspirant

JWNR2010v5 Guest Area with connection LAN to LAN

Hi to all,

I'm using my JWNR2010v5 as access point conected in a LAN to LAN mode with a WNR2200 which is directly connected to internet.

I would like to create a connection for guest only to access to internet without any connection to other lan resources while, through the not guest area, familiar users could see the whole LAN net in addition to internet access.

I bought two JWNR2010v5 because in their functionalities I read there was the guest area but if I cannot use this feature I spent for nothing

I read that there are some Netgear products which have the AP mode, it would really appreciated if this feature could be available also for the JWNR2010v5.

Currently il LAN Connection the JWNR2010v5 cannot find the internet connection even if I can navigate in internet passig through them. This means no Guest area, no firmware auto update and so on.

Following my net scheme

New Network Diagrams - Demo.jpg

Any help will be appreciated

Model: JWNR2010v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Daniel,

While all these consumer class routers (talking of your WNR2200 as well as the JWNR2010v5 and most likely your 3rd party device) are offer a simple Guest WiFi network configuration (in router mode only), with limited network segregation (only Layer 3 data filtering), there is no way this guest network can be extended - not over the Ethernet, not over a WiFi bridge or wireless extender or whatever. The same concept is (ab-)used also on Netgear Orbi platform, on the simple WAC with it's (optional) router mode.

@DanielPaviotti wrote:

Is there in this forum any one who can answer me if I can hope in a simple "AP mode" option selectable to obtain what I need?

Technically you could disable the JWNR2010v5 DHCP server, and configure a dedicated static IPv4 address for each, and just connect the switch LAN port(s). Lack of a default gateway, the JWNR2010v5 itself wont have access to the Internet - as there are unlikely new firmware updates coming, time and date wont' be properly set. But it would act as a pure wireless access point. 

Even if there would be a WiFi AP mode config for the JWNR2010v5, there would be only one SSID - or if there would be a Guest SSID (I don't know) - all will connect to your switched L2 network - so this would not help you either.

@DanielPaviotti wrote:

I think it wouldn't be so complicated. I think it could reached simply releasing a firmware update.

Not complicated probably - I doubt this is worth all the effort for this pre-historical WiFi technology. And it won't help you as explained above.

There might or might not be Open Source like DD-WRT firmware permitting to properly configure multiple SSID on the WNR2200 and the JWNR2010v5, bridging these to a dedicated VLAN (or at least to a dedicated Ethernet port) and run different TCP/IP subnetworks on both VLANs resp. individual networks. This would be more a project for hardcore IT pros or students 8-)

If you want to operate your primary (W)LAN over multiple access points, and provide (W)LAN access for guest in a dedicated network, there is no way around the deployment of Internet router able to deal with multiple security zones (VLANs) [Note: Netgear has .. none!], probably a VLAN capable GbE switch (consider PoE), and finally some wireless access points permitting multiple SSIDs bridged to dedicated VLANs as ie. the WAC510. 

Your requirement is not uncommon - just the mainstream vendors ignore these requirements for years, they continue offering "consumer" routers with specs form the early 1990ties. It's a shame Netgear does not really offer a solution for us here. Mi dispiace, I would like to give you a better answer for your plan.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. Please don't blame @ElaineM - your question was certainly somewhat off her comfort zone because this functionality does not exist on Netgear's Home Network / WiFi Router offings she does care of here. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @DanielPaviotti

You have an option to either check or uncheck "Allow Guest to access My Local Network" on the setup page. 

If it's not check then Guest network will not see your local network.

Check page 37 of the manual.

Message 2 of 6
DanielPaviotti
Aspirant

Hello ElaineM,

Yes, I seen and I tested that choose but this allows guests to see the whole LAN.
For security reasons I need that guests will be able to see only Internet.
Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the option is not checked then it shouldn't let you see the LAN. There must be something wrong with the firmware if that is the case. 

Try to re-flash or re-upload the latest firmware of the router.

Factory reset it afterwards. 

Message 4 of 6
DanielPaviotti
Aspirant

Hello ElaineM,

before you told me to check that option and I told you that with that option the guest will see the whole LAN and in the last post you wrote that if I want to obtain the security level I want, I haven't to select the same option..... could it be you answered too much fastly?

Is there in this forum any one who can answer me if I can hope in a simple "AP mode" option selectable to obtain what I need? I think it wouldn't be so complicated. I think it could reached simply releasing a firmware update.

Model: JWNR2010v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Daniel,

While all these consumer class routers (talking of your WNR2200 as well as the JWNR2010v5 and most likely your 3rd party device) are offer a simple Guest WiFi network configuration (in router mode only), with limited network segregation (only Layer 3 data filtering), there is no way this guest network can be extended - not over the Ethernet, not over a WiFi bridge or wireless extender or whatever. The same concept is (ab-)used also on Netgear Orbi platform, on the simple WAC with it's (optional) router mode.

@DanielPaviotti wrote:

Is there in this forum any one who can answer me if I can hope in a simple "AP mode" option selectable to obtain what I need?

Technically you could disable the JWNR2010v5 DHCP server, and configure a dedicated static IPv4 address for each, and just connect the switch LAN port(s). Lack of a default gateway, the JWNR2010v5 itself wont have access to the Internet - as there are unlikely new firmware updates coming, time and date wont' be properly set. But it would act as a pure wireless access point. 

Even if there would be a WiFi AP mode config for the JWNR2010v5, there would be only one SSID - or if there would be a Guest SSID (I don't know) - all will connect to your switched L2 network - so this would not help you either.

@DanielPaviotti wrote:

I think it wouldn't be so complicated. I think it could reached simply releasing a firmware update.

Not complicated probably - I doubt this is worth all the effort for this pre-historical WiFi technology. And it won't help you as explained above.

There might or might not be Open Source like DD-WRT firmware permitting to properly configure multiple SSID on the WNR2200 and the JWNR2010v5, bridging these to a dedicated VLAN (or at least to a dedicated Ethernet port) and run different TCP/IP subnetworks on both VLANs resp. individual networks. This would be more a project for hardcore IT pros or students 8-)

If you want to operate your primary (W)LAN over multiple access points, and provide (W)LAN access for guest in a dedicated network, there is no way around the deployment of Internet router able to deal with multiple security zones (VLANs) [Note: Netgear has .. none!], probably a VLAN capable GbE switch (consider PoE), and finally some wireless access points permitting multiple SSIDs bridged to dedicated VLANs as ie. the WAC510. 

Your requirement is not uncommon - just the mainstream vendors ignore these requirements for years, they continue offering "consumer" routers with specs form the early 1990ties. It's a shame Netgear does not really offer a solution for us here. Mi dispiace, I would like to give you a better answer for your plan.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. Please don't blame @ElaineM - your question was certainly somewhat off her comfort zone because this functionality does not exist on Netgear's Home Network / WiFi Router offings she does care of here. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7