× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Make a router just a wireless access point

FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Make a router just a wireless access point

One of my WAP took a dirt nap this morning. I have Netgear wireless router WPN824 V2.

Can I turn this router into just and wireless access point?

What should I turn off? Disable the UPnP, that would be a feature used if this was being used a router correct?

I disabled use router as DHCP.

If I'm using this as an WAP then I should plugged into one of the switch ports and the "internet" port.

I plugged in unit directly into my laptop, went 192.168.1.1, then to LAN settings and changed the IP to 192.168.116.7 and saved the settings. At point, from the laptop, I as no longer connected to the GUI. When I ping 192.168.116.7 I got nothing. I then plugged back into our domain network and when 192.168.116.7 and was able to access the GUI.

Please see screen shots

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2b_iVvNvbfJZlV6eXpuN1Z3QWc?usp=sharing

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Make a router just a wireless access point

Yes, disable DHCP and whatever else you don't want running on the router. When configure as an AP, you will need to move your uplink to a LAN port.

RE: not being able to connect to the router after changin IP address and disabling DHCP. You would need to cofigure your laptop network card in the same subnet as the AP (say 192.168.116.254 255.255.255.0) if you wnated to connect to it, off thwe network. So, it looks like you are good to go. If you can, turn off UPNP at all costs.. Portfowarding would be a better option with this home router stuff..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Yes, disable DHCP and whatever else you don't want running on the router. When configure as an AP, you will need to move your uplink to a LAN port.

RE: not being able to connect to the router after changin IP address and disabling DHCP. You would need to cofigure your laptop network card in the same subnet as the AP (say 192.168.116.254 255.255.255.0) if you wnated to connect to it, off thwe network. So, it looks like you are good to go. If you can, turn off UPNP at all costs.. Portfowarding would be a better option with this home router stuff..

Message 2 of 4
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPnP is on by deflaut. I don't need.

What did you mean turn off at all cost.........bad to have on....security issus?

Should just get an new AP and toss this router, I'm I trying to squeeze a nickel from a dollar?

Under the attached devices tab, it shows most of devices on the network, even though I have "use router as DHCP server" disabled. Should I worry about that?

What is the current standard for wifi security.....WPA2-PAK [AES] ?

Message 3 of 4
netwrks
Master

UPnP can be exploited easily. If you don't need it, turn it off, set up port forwarding on your router. Connected devices is a list of the devices on your network. Nothing to worry about there. That is what you would use to see what is on your network. So, make sure you use strong router logins and strong wireless passphrases for your wireless.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7