× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 keeps disconnecting

alexisguiter
Aspirant

N300 keeps disconnecting

Hey guys,

I've set up my router as an access point for my house. It works for 12 to 24 hours but then disconnects from my modem. I've been searching for days but coudn't find the issue. Maybe some of you have an answer? My router is running the latest firmware and is connected to the modem via a powerline model PL1000.

Model: JWNR2000v5|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience. If this is still within hardware warranty, you may get an RMA. 

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)?

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @alexisguiter 

Just to verify, what's the exact model number of your NETGEAR router?

Do you have the latest firmware installed? Did you try resetting the unit?

Do you have another router in your house? 

When you experience disconnection, do you still have lights on the router or it shuts off and do a reboot?

Message 2 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

Hey @ElaineM. I have the WNR2000v5, I do indeed have the latest firmware installed, and even tried re-installing it. I have also tried resseting the router multiple times. I do have another access point in my house, and my modem aslo works as a router. Finally When I experience a disconnection all the lights on the router stay solid green

Message 3 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you provide your full network setup and label them?

How are the devices connected? 

How about if you start from scratch and connect them one by one?

Message 4 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

Well I have tried to set up my network from scratch, but that was not proven successful. My network can be split into 3 parts: ground floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor. The ground floor only has my modem/main-routeur. The modem has a wifi extender specifcally used for my network TV. That same wifi extender on the first floor has an airport extreme working as a bridge connected to it. Finally the netgear N300 router on the first floor is connected via a powerline kit (PL1000) to the modem.

I should point out that I tried to switch the airport extreme with the netgear router. In this scenario the airport extreme works as intended (bridge mode) but the netgear router does not work as intended, and can only function as a router rathet than an access point.

This lead me to conclude that there might be firmware or hardware issues with my netgear router, but I am not really sure.

Message 5 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try resetting the router? 

The router can only be configured either in Router or Access Point mode.

Did you follow the steps on page 67 from the manual for Access Point mode?

Message 6 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

Yes I have followed the instructions properly, but my router is connected to the LAN port of my modem/router via the powerline. This was not an issue when setting up the airport extreme

Message 7 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you are saying that you have swapped it out and have tried resetting then it might be possible that it might have gone bad. 

Message 8 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

Gone bad? Could you please elaborate? 

Message 9 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Faulty unit. 

Perhaps, try to do a hard reset by following the steps below. 

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go. 

Once done, reconfigure it the way how it should be and see if it will get back up and running. If not, then the unit can be considered faulty. 

Message 10 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

I have followed the procedure and completly reset the router. I will update you with a definitive working/not-working answer tomorrow

Message 11 of 13
alexisguiter
Aspirant

Hello @ElaineM, unfortunately the hard reset did not work for me. The unit worked for about 2 hours, before it experienced yet another disconnection from the modem. I am truly disapointed by this product as it showed potential as a router, and had a good covereage of the house.

Message 12 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience. If this is still within hardware warranty, you may get an RMA. 

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7