× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 local network blocked

zehnaxis
Aspirant

N600 local network blocked

To start this router has been installed and working for 6 months maybe more a friend bought a new laptop ask me to help setup his printer wireless so he can print from his laptop.

his desktop PC is connected to printer USB printer is setup and through the router admin page has IP address of 192.168.1.7 -

his laptop has IP of 192.168.1.9 the laptop can connect to the router WIFI and browse the internet no problem but can not find the printer.

I did confirm the IP of the laptop on the laptop is the same as the is found using the ipconfig /all command

I disconnected the desktop ethernet and turned on wifi it connected fine and browse the internet but the same thing it will not connect to the printer.

originally I assumed the issue was the printer I re-setup the printer connected to wifi ended up with the same issue

rerunning the printer setup I have the desktop printing through USB again.

Now back on the laptop, I reran the printer setup same thing it will not find the printer on the wifi.

reverified the IP address of the router and the desktop then from the laptop I pinged the desktop and the printer it timed out using the ping command

I ping the routers IP same thing but with will browse an external website and ping google.com and it sent and recieved packets - how is able to do this is...all the setting look right in the routing settings...

also on the hardwired desktop, I can ping router, printer and external IP address

I will add both machines are windows 10 home ed

thoughts? is there a setting in the router to filter wifi traffic on an internal IP address but allow external IP traffic?

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
zehnaxis
Aspirant

Re: N600 local network blocked

The solution was turn off Wireless Isolation setting in the router. I found this out later and thought I should share the solution ..in this case not olny does this feature block commutation to just wired units but also to all IP address connected to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @zehnaxis

It seem that there is something on the laptop that blocks the connection.

The laptop seems to get a valid IP address from the router but unable to ping. One possible reason that could be blocking it would be the firewall.

Try to disable any firewall/anti-virus on the laptop.

Check as well your sharing options such as the File and printer sharing.

By the way, what's the exact model number of the printer? Is the printer wireless?

How do you print to the printer using your desktop connection?

Message 2 of 4
zehnaxis
Aspirant

The solution was turn off Wireless Isolation setting in the router. I found this out later and thought I should share the solution ..in this case not olny does this feature block commutation to just wired units but also to all IP address connected to the router.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for that update. Glad you were able to make it work.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7