× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear not on list of available networks

djmac
Aspirant

Netgear not on list of available networks

My windows 10 laptop doesn't show netgear as an available network. Netgear works on ethernet cable, and TV and printer connect wirelessly and automatically to wireless network, and Netgear shows up as an available network on the Roku TV. I have reset router and modems, scanned for available networks, but nothing shows up on laptop except neighbors' networks. I don't understand how TV and printer can 'see' my netgear network and have no problem reconnecting. It worked for two years on my laptop, I had a trial of Youtube TV I cancelled, and that's about when I couldn't access wireless network from my laptop. The tv turned off automatically after a few hours while tuned to Youtube tv. I don't know if the two are related or not. Laptop may or may not have been connected at the time youtube was cancelled.

Model: WNDR3700v5|N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
djmac
Aspirant

Re: Netgear not on list of available networks

The radio controls in the manual didn't work. I had tried that earlier. Finally found the option to return all settings to factory, and after about a 10 minute reboot, the 2.4g wifi channel was turned on.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

@djmac wrote:

My windows 10 laptop doesn't show netgear as an available network.

What do you expect to see? What is this "netgear"? An SSID?

Is this laptop on wifi or Wired LAN?

@djmac wrote:

Netgear works on ethernet cable, and TV and printer connect wirelessly and automatically to wireless network, and Netgear shows up as an available network on the Roku TV.

To me this suggests that your laptop is the problem. The router will not discriminate against different devices, unless they are misconfigured in some way or unless you have blocked them from accessing the network.

Message 2 of 12
djmac
Aspirant

Previously, I would see list of networks my wifi could 'see' from neighbors'  whether they were secured or open. I had set up to automatically connect to my wifi, so rarely had to manually select wifi network. But now I see my neighbors wifi with ATT networks, all secured by their passwords, an open Xfinity wifi I could pay to use, and a couple other Netgear WIFi networks. My wifi were listed as Netfear68-5G, and Netgear68-Guest . All the same neighbor networks still show on the list of available networks. When resetting my TV wireless connection, my networks choices show up and I connect using my password.

I also think it is my laptop- some setting and I was hoping to learn what driver or setting or system needs to be reset or re=installed so my laptop can again 'see' my network.

Model: WNDR3700v5|N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 12

@djmac wrote:
I also think it is my laptop- some setting and I was hoping to learn what driver or setting or system needs to be reset or re=installed so my laptop can again 'see' my network.

You won't get much help here with problems on your laptop, especially when you haven't told us anything about the device.

I'd go into the Network and Internet Settings bit of the control panel in Windows 10, look for a list of wifi sources it has seen, Manage known networks and tell it to forget the old connections. Then recreate a new link from scratch.

Your WNDR3700v5 does not need any software or drivers to work with your laptop. It just sits there broadcasting wifi. And that clearly works or the other stuff would not find the wifi.

Message 4 of 12
antinode
Guru

> Model: WNDR3700v5|N600 WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router

Is that accurate?

> [...] TV and printer connect wirelessly [...]

Which SSID(s) do they use?

> [...] My wifi were listed as Netfear68-5G, and Netgear68-Guest .

Where are the others?  Rather than continuing to guess about what the
router is doing, why don't you ask it?  Connect a computer, open a web
browser, point it at your router, and look at its wireless settings.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

"Netfear68-5G", other than the spelling error, sounds like an SSID
for a 5GHz radio.  Does your (unspecified) "my laptop" support 5GHz, or
only 2.4GHz?

Message 5 of 12
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Could it be that your router has stopped transmitting in either the 2.4 o 5g band ?

Message 6 of 12

The first message says:

Netgear works on ethernet cable, and TV and printer connect wirelessly and automatically to wireless network, and Netgear shows up as an available network on the Roku TV.

I agree that it isn't clear, but it seems that only the laptop has lost access to the wifi.

Message 7 of 12
djmac
Aspirant

Yes- only laptop has lost contact. Laptop picks up list of 'available networks' that doesn't include my router. My two other devices have no problem connecting.to the network.Seems like it must be a problem in my laptop. I've tried 'forgetting' networks and setting up new connections in Windows 10. Laptop must be set to ignore or never see.Netgear. I am going to try a longer shutdown of both my cable modem, and router. I have already uninstalledreinstalled Netgear genie, and  went through recovery. I wonder if my router broadcasts a signal that can tell a device not to connect, or that it is unavailable to that device. Going to go through routerlogin.net again and checking to see if my computer is disallowed. Routerlogin.net shows my 2.4G network as turned off so maybe someone can tell me how to turn it on.  

Message 8 of 12

@djmac wrote:

Yes- only laptop has lost contact.

Maybe the laptop supports only 2.4GHz.

@djmac wrote:
Routerlogin.net shows my 2.4G network as turned off so maybe someone can tell me how to turn it on.  

There is support stuff and a manual for the WNDR3700v5 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> WNDR3700v5 | N600 WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See page 119. Enable the SSID broadcast for 2.4 GHz.

Message 9 of 12
djmac
Aspirant

I figured it out. It wasn't my laptop. Somehow the router had quit broadcasting in 2.4g mode, which is what my laptop can see. I had to reset the router to factory settings. Strange how this happened with no action on my part to change the router settings. Laptop had worked fine one evening, then next morning had no access. My other two devices are both newer and work on the 5G band. One of the replies got me indirectly pointed towards the fix. Thanks for the help 

Message 10 of 12
djmac
Aspirant

The radio controls in the manual didn't work. I had tried that earlier. Finally found the option to return all settings to factory, and after about a 10 minute reboot, the 2.4g wifi channel was turned on.

Message 11 of 12

@djmac wrote:

I had to reset the router to factory settings.

It  might have been easier to follow my instructions. But reset is always a good move.

@djmac wrote:

Strange how this happened with no action on my part to change the router settings.

Unlikely. But some devices do have buttons that turn separate channels on and off. (You would be surprised by how many people miss that.) In your case, that button, on the back of the device, controls all bands.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7