× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Internet To Router

mmar0802
Aspirant

No Internet To Router

My router has been set up for 3 years with no problems at all.  A couple days ago the power went out breifly and we lost the wifi connection.  I logged into Netgear Genie and attempted to reset everything.  It didnt work.  I unplugged the modem and the router and reset it all, and when it comes back on, there is internet coming from the modem but the internet light on the router remains amber color.  I called my ISP and they confirmed the modem is functioning properly.  I bypassed the router and plugged the ethernet directly from the modem to the computer, and I have internet.  For some reason there is no internet connection when I plug the ethernet from the modem to the router and the wireless network doesnt even show up on the available connections list. My ISP helped me do a lot of advanced troubleshooting on the computer, with no help.  I bought a brand new router, and it does the exact same thing except this one shows up on the list of connections.  When I plug it in, netgear genie says its connected...but my computer says "No Internet, Secured."  Im completely frustrated.  Any ideas?  

Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mmar0802
Aspirant

I unplugged everything for the 100th time and plugged it all back in, in the order the instructions say to do it. I swear I did that already a bunch of times but today it actually worked. It has to go in this order or it doesn't pick up internet. 

1.  Unplug everything, including modem

2. Plug in modem and wait for it to fully power on

3. Attach Ethernet from modem to router

4. Turn on router, Internet  light should turn green

5. Set up wifi network

6. Connect to network on devices

this only worked with the new router I bought though, the old one still won't work. It connects to the Internet but no wifi. I've decided to call it a loss and move on with the new router 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

use the PC MAC address in the router's internet setup

Message 2 of 5
mmar0802
Aspirant

I unplugged everything for the 100th time and plugged it all back in, in the order the instructions say to do it. I swear I did that already a bunch of times but today it actually worked. It has to go in this order or it doesn't pick up internet. 

1.  Unplug everything, including modem

2. Plug in modem and wait for it to fully power on

3. Attach Ethernet from modem to router

4. Turn on router, Internet  light should turn green

5. Set up wifi network

6. Connect to network on devices

this only worked with the new router I bought though, the old one still won't work. It connects to the Internet but no wifi. I've decided to call it a loss and move on with the new router 

Message 3 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

You mean old router is totaly dead?  Unable to log in to the router, unable to ping it, etc.

Message 4 of 5
mmar0802
Aspirant

No it still turns on, Internet light turns green, but no wifi signal appears in list and if you plug Ethernet in to one of the ports, that doesn't work either. I have tried to ping it, and several other advanced troubleshooting procedures. Nothing works. It doesn't make sense.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7