× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Only getting 94 Mbps WIRED with N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v3

jp560
Aspirant

Only getting 94 Mbps WIRED with N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v3

I Only get 94 Mbps WIRED with my N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v3, even though my provider's speed clocks at 230 Mbps when directly connected to my modem. My provider is Xfinity. Does anyone know what the maximum WIRED speed is of this Netgear router? The manual says the max WIFI speed is 145 Mbps, but I'm not even getting that. Is there a way to increase this router's speed? Thanks. -jp

Model: WNR2000v3|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
NutOnABike
Tutor

Re: Only getting 94 Mbps WIRED with N300 Wireless Router WNR2000v3

The specs for the N300 show that the wired ethernet ports are 10/100, not gigabit, so 94 Mbps wired is to be expected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
NutOnABike
Tutor

The specs for the N300 show that the wired ethernet ports are 10/100, not gigabit, so 94 Mbps wired is to be expected.

Message 2 of 9
netwrks
Master

The LAN/WAN ports support 10/100 Mbps only. Either downgrade your ISP Service, or upgrade to a router that supports 1000 Mbps LAN/WAN ports.

Message 3 of 9
NutOnABike
Tutor

... another option is OP could get a GS105 or GS108 gigabit switch, then connect the router and his wired connections to it.  That would provide greater than 100 Mbps for both wired and wireless.

Message 4 of 9
netwrks
Master

Nothing gained adding a switch into the mix with current hardware setup. The connected speed on the switch to the client would be a gig (if there is a cient NIC card to support it), but the important part is the uplink connection between the router LAN port and the switch, it will only be 100 Mbps (bottleneck), as that is all the router can support. At the end of the day, the router can only support 100 Mbps wired. Wireless does not benefit from a gigabit switch, if the the router, as in this case, supports the client wired and wireless environment..

Message 5 of 9
NutOnABike
Tutor

No, the N300 has a theoretical max of 300 Mbps wireless but is limited to 100 Mbps wired.  Thus having the gigabit switch upstream prevents the wired bottleneck by using the switch for the wired connections.  The N300 would only be used for wireless, which will be > 100 Mbps, assuming environmental conditions allow it.

Message 6 of 9
NutOnABike
Tutor

@jp560   Here's a diagram showing how to use a gigabit switch to get around the N300's limited speed on wired connections. 

https://s84i.imgup.net/switch28da.JPG

Message 7 of 9
jp560
Aspirant

To NutOnABike:

Thanks for the suggestion. I like it because I wouldn't have to mess with setting up a new router.

But ... Don't I need a router - not a switch - directly connected to my modem so I can get the benefits of the router (proper device routing, automatic IP address assignment, and firewall)?  I thought switches should only be connected downstream of a router, not upstream.  I probably should just bite the bullet and buy a gigabyte router to get the higher speeds available by Comcast.

Thanks,
-jp
Message 8 of 9
NutOnABike
Tutor

Doh, <facepalm> -- I'm sorry, I had a brain fade there. Of course you are right, you'll need a new router upstream.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7