× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Palm TX connects to guest but cannot surf or fetch mail

hezahonker
Aspirant

Palm TX connects to guest but cannot surf or fetch mail

I realize this is an old device that requires a 802.11b. However, it shows this router is backwards compatible with b. I have been able to connect the TX only through guest network. It has been assigned an ip and is showing in connected devices using WPA2-PSK [AES]. The tx actually has a nice security upgrade that should make it possible to work as it too is able to connect to personal (and enterprise security wpa1/wpa2 LEAP, TTLS, PEAP as default) under wpa-psk aes and tkip or auto (both). 

1. why cannot it see 2.4gh main channel with b,g,n compatibility?

2. Tried rolling down mps to 54 does not help assuming the guest is taking on the main channel's settings. (not really a speed I want as everything else connected is going strong)

3. tried wep (not that that is safe at all, but wanted to see) that does not allow me to see the main channel only guest still. 

My device, the Palm TX, has an ip and mac and is seen in the router under attached devices, so the router is communicating with it. Would love to see if I can get it to see the 2.4g Non Guest Main Channel or, at least, surf and fetch mail on guest. 

What am I missing here?

Model: WNDR3800|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
hezahonker
Aspirant

I agee. It just needs a good old fashion b router and I am sure it will be very happy. However, for now, I have the guest channel allowing me to surf which is a start. Once I have a b router, I bet it will all work. Thanks again for your time and have a pleasant day. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
hezahonker
Aspirant

Anyone from Netgear here? I'd really appreciate some help.

Message 2 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @hezahonker

That's an odd behavior.

I suggest that you try to factory reset the router then configure the router all over again. 

If in any case, you're still unable to see the main network reinstall the firmware by downloading the latest firmware and upload it on the router. 

You may download the firmware from this link

Message 3 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will certainly do. I have discovered the following:

1. change of the channel to 6 at 54mps the tx can now see the main 2.4ghz channel set AES. 

2. tx connecting quickly but still no surfing or fetching of mail. will reset the router and see if this helps. 

Message 4 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Update us what happens after reset. 

Message 5 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

OK, that set thing back bad again. After reset, the TX can no longer see the router. Palms need channels under 10. also b wireless speed up to 11mps.

Firmware on genie says i am at 1.0.0.61, when i use the link provided to support site the latest firmware says 1.0.0.41. I would assume I have a more current version?

Message 6 of 15
doraemon
Prodigy

Isn't Palm TX supports WEP and WPA only? Not WPA2?

Anyway, try setting the mode down to 54Mbps and then turn off your Guest network.

Check each channel without any security enabled. Once you see it then enable WPA security.

For your firmware, you got model WNDR3800 or something else?

Message 7 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

Palm TX was upgraded (through a security patch from Palm) to Personal WPA-PSK AES, TKIP or AUTO (Both) OR Enterprise WPA1/WPA2 AES TKIP or AUTO with profiles of LEAP, TTLS, or PEAP. Those are all my options. 

Others can get it working with their routers (did google serches from WebOS/HP who bought Palm). 

Can't disable security. I have no None radio button on this model in Genie. I have to select something. Already tried Wep and that did not let me surf either. Not that I would keep it on wep. 

When I set the main channel to 1 and throttle down to 54mps, the TX can finally see the router. In terms of disabling guest and going through the steps you suggested, those have all been tried. 

Message 8 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

Voila! Finally! Got surfing accomplished with certain sites (probably a palm blazer limitation). Went to advanced> guest settings again to WPA TKIP, deleted connection on palm. Throttled down to 54mps, scanned on palm for networks. It sees main channel with same settings.  I am certain though that if I throttle back up it will stop working, will let you know. Good news is channel is on auto so no need to change number. Will keep fiddling and share results. 

Message 9 of 15
doraemon
Prodigy

I assume you're using the NG genie software?

Access routerlogin.net on your browser to configure settings thru GUI.

In that window, you should get None as an option. Since the Palm is using B then your best mode is 54Mbps.

If you're in the admin or the GUI see if adjusting the CTS/RTS and Fragmentation length to 2304

You can see those settings under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings

Message 10 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

Yes, I mentioned I was using genie in an earlier post. There is no option for none. I have signed into genie both on mac and windows in chrome. 

I will try adjusting frag to 2304. Thank you.
Message 11 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

I think we should stop. This is becoming a bit ridiculous, and I do not want to waste anyone's time. I think what I will do is find an older b router and attach as an access point. I think that would be the easiest solution. At this point, I can't get versamail or Agendus mail on the device to fetch so it's more than likely the device itself is the culprit. If it can surf, it should fetch which makes me think it's not going to happen due to software limitations. Ironically, all the server setting in my palm's mail software is matching what google has indicated with appropriate security and ports. One would think it should work. However, I have a hard time believing it's the connection. Correct me if I am wrong. If it surfs, it should fetch, no?

Message 12 of 15
doraemon
Prodigy

That's correct.

It may also just probably need that B router or an access point just like back in the days.

Message 13 of 15
hezahonker
Aspirant

I agee. It just needs a good old fashion b router and I am sure it will be very happy. However, for now, I have the guest channel allowing me to surf which is a start. Once I have a b router, I bet it will all work. Thanks again for your time and have a pleasant day. 

Message 14 of 15
doraemon
Prodigy

You are welcome and hopefully it will work.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7