× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer Won't Connect to Network

rltorson
Tutor

Printer Won't Connect to Network

For over two years I have been using my printer (HP Photosmart 2610Xi) connected to the router via a LAN port on the router as this allows me, using the NetgearGenie Air Print feature to print using my iPhone or iPad. Worked fine. Recently I began having trouble with the modem dropping the internet. The Wavecable tech advised me to get a new router. I did, an SB6141. The new one has not so far had trouble losing the internet, although it has as many uncorrectable errors as the old. However when I connected the printer the HP printer box said the there was not connection althought the light for the LAN port the printer was connected to was lit. I can not print with my computer (iMac) either. I then tried switching to a USB cable for the printer, connecting to the USB port on the router. The light on the router did not light and when I tried to print a box told me the printer was not connected. Of course I restarted everything till I was blue in the face to no avail. The printer works fine if I plug it into a USB port on the computer but then, of course no AirPrint. What changed?? How do I fix this?

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
rltorson
Tutor

Re: Printer Won't Connect to Network - Fixed

Got it going. Trick  was to reset printer to factory default, open System Preferences and delete the printer then re-install it then open Netgear Genie and reselect the printer in Air Print. Now I can (again) print from my iPhone or iPad even using my antique non-airprint printer

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies

Re: Printer Won't Connect to Network

Your "footer" says you have an WNDR4300. You also say that you have something called an an SB6141. What is that?

How is all this stuff wired together? And what is the modem that feeds this complicated array?

Message 2 of 9
rltorson
Tutor

Modem is Arris (Motorola) Surfboard SB6141

Router is Netgear N750 (which they seem to call WNDR4300)

Printer is HP Photosmart 2610xi

Computer is iMac (2009) running OS 10.11.6

Cable from wall to router to router by ethernet cable

Out from router to computer by ethernet cable and to printer by either USB port or LAN port.

Router light on for LAN port to computer and printer but when USB port used no light.

When print requested printer box read "Printer is not connected

Message 3 of 9

@rltorson wrote:

Router is Netgear N750 (which they seem to call WNDR4300)

No "seem to call" about it. The router is an WNDR4300. (Look for "model number" on the label on the thing.) N750 is a wifi speed "signature", or speed descriptor, that you will find on many ancient devices made by a lot of makers.

@rltorson wrote:

I assume that you mean "wall to modem to router".

You may think it picky of me to seek accuracy in these things but they can make a huge difference when trying to work out what is going on.

The good news is that your first "router", the Surfboard SB6141, is not a router, but a modem. (Or is there another router on that network?) So, if everything is working as planned you will not have internal conflicts on your network.

When you replaced one modem with another, did you set the whole network up from scratch? It helps to put everything back to its factory state so that the various bits and pieces forget any bad habits that they picked up when connected to different hardware.

If you do that you will also have to set up ReadySHARE Printer again. But that may be the solution you need.

There is a manual for the WNDR4300 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> WNDR4300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

I'm afraid I cannot unravel what this bit is trying to tell us:

@rltorson wrote:

Router light on for LAN port to computer and printer but when USB port used no light.

Message 4 of 9
rltorson
Tutor

No "seem to call" about it. The router is an WNDR4300. (Look for "model number" on the label on the thing.) N750 is a wifi speed "signature", or speed descriptor, that you will find on many ancient devices made by a lot of makers.

Okay, I see

@rltorson wrote: 

I assume that you mean "wall to modem to router". 

Still recovering from chemo I guess, Tks

You may think it picky of me to seek accuracy in these things but they can make a huge difference when trying to work out what is going on.

The good news is that your first "router", the Surfboard SB6141, is not a router, but a modem. (Or is there another router on that network?) So, if everything is working as planned you will not have internal conflicts on your network.

When you replaced one modem with another, did you set the whole network up from scratch? It helps to put everything back to its factory state so that the various bits and pieces forget any bad habits that they picked up when connected to different hardware.

I just hooked up the new modem and turned it on. No changes. The setup seemed to work just fine until I went to print something - No connection, a condition I am still in. Since the I have unplugged and replugged everything three times, restarted all components several times and searched all over for answers. This reminds me of my PC days.

If you do that you will also have to set up ReadySHARE Printer again. But that may be the solution you need.

I did think I was using ReadyShare I just clicked the AirPrint box on the Genie and checked the box to select the printer.

There is a manual for the WNDR4300 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> WNDR4300 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

I'm afraid I cannot unravel what this bit is trying to tell us: 

@rltorson wrote: 

I was telling you that the indicator light on the modem ( that is associated with each port) for the one that I am using for the printer cable (whether its the LAN port OR the USB port) is not lit.

Sorry I can't figure out how to change the font for my reply so you can find it easily. Good luck.

Bob

My hardware Modem Router: D6400, R7000P, R7800, Orbi RBK30 Powerline: XWN5001, XAVB5101, XWNB5201, XAVB5421 Security camerasArlo Q Plus, Pro 2 WiFi:WNDA3100 Switch: GS316-100UKS

Message 4 of 4

TAGS (0)
Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> I began having trouble with the modem [...]
> The Wavecable tech advised me to get a new router. I did, an SB6141.

As explained above, that's a modem, not a router.  Are you using the
same router as before (WNDR4300)?  Did you change any of the
configuration of the WNDR4300?  ("WNDR4300" or "WNDR4300v2"?  Look at
the product label on the router.)

> Cable from wall to router to router by ethernet cable [...]

Eh?  Ethernet (and co-ax) cables have only two ends; they don't hop
from device to device to device.  What does "wall" mean here?  Are you
talking about a co-ax cable to the cable modem input?

> Out from router to computer by ethernet cable and to printer by either
> USB port or LAN port.

If your printer has an Ethernet port, then I'd advise using it, and
ignoring its USB port (and all Netgear ReasySHARE firmware/software).

> When you replaced one modem with another, did you set the whole
> network up from scratch? It helps to put everything back to its factory
> state [...]

Not really.  If your old router can connect to the Internet through
the new modem, then I'd leave it alone, and not erase its original
(working) configuration for no good reason.

> [...] If you do that you will also have to set up ReadySHARE Printer
> again.

If you were not using ReadySHARE for printing before, then there's no
reason to start now.  Especially for a network-connected printer.

> Router light on for LAN port to computer and printer but when USB port
> used no light.

> [...] the indicator light on the modem ( that is associated with each
> port) for the one that I am using for the printer cable (whether its the
> LAN port OR the USB port) is not lit.

That's confusing, but if "the modem" here means "the WNDR4300
router", and the LAN-port LED does not indicate a good physical link to
the printer, then I'd worry about the Ethernet cable which you're using
(or the router LAN Ethernet port, or the printer Ethernet port).  (And
I'd still advise avoiding the USB port.)

> When print requested printer box read "Printer is not connected

Perhaps that's because the printer is not connected.

If you can get the router to indicate a good physical link to the
printer, then the router's Attached Devices report should show the
printer (under: Wired Devices).  When that happens, your client devices
may be able to communicate with it, too.

Swapping cable modems should not have a big effect on a
network-connected printer.  Typically, there would be no good reason to
change anything on the router's LAN configuration, and no good reason to
reset anything.  Some folks you'll find on these forums apparently
believe that a router-settings reset is a first step, rather than a last
resort.  (Some of them also append a useless hardware inventory to their
posts.)

> [...] You also say that you have something called an an SB6141. What
> is that?

Sometimes a simple Web search is easier than asking a lame question.

Message 6 of 9
rltorson
Tutor

1.  Yes, of course the input to the SB 6141 modem is a coax. Sorry I am having trouble with my nomenclature.

2.I did not change the config of the WNDR4300 router

3. OK, I will give up on using a USB cable to connect the printer to the router.

4. When I put the new modem in place I changed nothing. And everything but the printer worked fine. By now though I have changed everytging several times.

5. I was not using ReadyShare before and would be happy to not use it now.

6. I thought the ethernet cable between router and printer might be the problem so tried another, with the same result (printer not connected)

7. Web searches are indeed helpful sometimes, this does not appear to be one of those times, especially with my dyslexia.

Message 7 of 9
rltorson
Tutor

Finally some progress!  I Opened the Mac's System Preferences and deleted the printer. Then reinstalled it. Now the Mac can print when the ethernet cable is connecting the router to the printer.

Still need to be able to use the Netgear AirPrint function.

When I try to print from my iPhone it act like its going to print and gets as far as "Trying to contact Printer then stops until timeout.

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 8 of 9
rltorson
Tutor

Re: Printer Won't Connect to Network - Fixed

Got it going. Trick  was to reset printer to factory default, open System Preferences and delete the printer then re-install it then open Netgear Genie and reselect the printer in Air Print. Now I can (again) print from my iPhone or iPad even using my antique non-airprint printer

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7