× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recommendation not to change the SSID

BobLo
Aspirant

Recommendation not to change the SSID

I noticed this statement in the manual: "The default SSID is randomly generated, and NETGEAR strongly recommends that you do not change this setting."

They use italics for emphasis. They don't just say "recommends", but "strongly recommends". I think that's the strongest recommendation anywhere in the manual. But they omitted the reason for the recommendation.

I've been assigning my own SSIDs for over 15 years without a problem. I've been using my own SSID with this Netgear router for over a year without a problem. So what's the problem?

Maybe they meant, "Don't change this unless you know what you're doing," but they didn't say that. In any case, that would apply to pretty much every setting in the box, so why would they single out SSID for such special treatment?

Does anyone know anything about this?

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BobLo The recommendation from the manual is to just allow users to easily locate or identify their own routers in case they forgot what it was.

In any case, I will forward your feedback to the documentation team for review.

Thank you and have a great day!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

No problem changing it. Main purpose is for id'ing your radio. Not much value in reinforcing security as far as I am concerned.

Message 2 of 9

Indeed. Netgear's advice makes no sense.

What are the benefits of sticking with the SSID it provides?

It is the password that matters.

Message 3 of 9
BobLo
Aspirant

I think I may have it now. IIRC, the default SSID is NETGEARnn. I think they strongly want you to advertise the Netgear brand to the users of every Wi-Fi device that's close enough to see your beacons. I'm not impressed by marketing masquerading as technical advice.

Message 4 of 9

@BobLo wrote:

I think I may have it now. IIRC, the default SSID is NETGEARnn. I think they strongly want you to advertise the Netgear brand to the users of every Wi-Fi device that's close enough to see your beacons. I'm not impressed.

There's a conspiracy theory for you!

My concern was that leaving the SSID unchanged might suggest to casual visitors that the user has left everything else unchanged, leaving them open to attack through other routes.

We have seen reports here of people who fear that they have been hacked through the web interface of their modems.

Message 5 of 9
BobLo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

There's a conspiracy theory for you!

The connotation of "conspiracy theory" is that an idea is overly cynical or suspicious. I don't think that applies, as I've too often seen marketing departments sticking their fingers into areas where they don't belong. And so far this is the only explanation that begins to make any sense.

I have no problem with the default SSID, only with the recommendation against changing it, sans explanation. The statement should be removed, if anyone at Netgear is listening.

Message 6 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

If you run inSSIDer or Acrylic it tells what kind of router(and manufacturer) is regardless of SSID.

Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BobLo The recommendation from the manual is to just allow users to easily locate or identify their own routers in case they forgot what it was.

In any case, I will forward your feedback to the documentation team for review.

Thank you and have a great day!

Message 8 of 9

@ElaineM wrote:

How odd.The logic there doesn't work.

I am much more likely to remember an SSID that I create rather than some generic Netgear SSID that might look just like others in the neighbourhood.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7