× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing host computer.

pudgyswede
Aspirant

Replacing host computer.

I am switching out Windows 10 computers. The computer now attached to my router will be replaced. My wifi network is now functioning very well. I would like it to continue doing so when I exchange computers. What actions will I need to take to make sure this occurs?

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

I could be mistaken, but AFAICT the Dell Inspiron 560S does not by default have a Wi-Fi adapter, only an Ethernet network adapter.  You can see what network adapters are installed by clicking on Change adapter settings in the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel.  Below is an example I randomly picked from Google of what you might see.  You want to look for an adapter that says Wi-Fi.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

If your computer is connected via Ethernet, then you probably will need to do nothing.  If via Wi-Fi, then you will need to join the Wi-Fi network.  You will either need to know the Wi-Fi password or you could use WPS, provided your new computer and router support it.

Message 2 of 7
pudgyswede
Aspirant

I appreciated your response. I switched out the computers. Got the new host computer connected and my wireless network up and running. I thought I was home free.

Today am trying to connect the old computer, that used to host my network, to the wireless network one last time so that I may access the internet while I clean-up that computer for transfer to my son. The computer refuses to find my current wireless network. When I run the troubleshooter it keeps telling me that an ethernet cable needs to be connected. Any ideas on why I may be getting this message and why the computer does not find the wireless network my three other computers are connected to? 

When the problem computer was the host computer for my network, it was connected to the router and cable modem via an ethernet cable just like the new host computer is on my current wireless network. Could that in anyway be related to the problem I am experiencing in attempting to reconnect the old computer? If so, what can I do about it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide with this problem.

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

It's not clear to me, but does your old computer have a Wi-Fi adapter?

Message 4 of 7
pudgyswede
Aspirant

That is a good question. I reviewed all the information which came with my Dell Inspiron 560S and it appears that it does have a wireless adapter. The setup instructions are provided for setting up a wireless connection. They call for going to the Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Connect to a network. When I click on connect to a network, the computer is unable to find my network.

Message 5 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pudgyswede It doesn't show any other wireless network at all? There should be an indicator that the wireless feature on your laptop is turned on.

If it's turned on, I suggest that you verify the wireless settings of your router such as the SSID broadcast. Check if it's broadcasting the SSID. 

See the link below for more information. 

How to hide/unhide your NETGEAR wireless router SSID network name

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

I could be mistaken, but AFAICT the Dell Inspiron 560S does not by default have a Wi-Fi adapter, only an Ethernet network adapter.  You can see what network adapters are installed by clicking on Change adapter settings in the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel.  Below is an example I randomly picked from Google of what you might see.  You want to look for an adapter that says Wi-Fi.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7