× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Firewall Question

Gamerear19
Aspirant

Router Firewall Question

I currently have a WNDR3700v2 with the latest firmware. I dont use the special features of routers and only use it as a basic router with a firewall so i got remote access, dlna, readyshare, port forwarding, upnp all disabled. I use WPA2 security and have a strong password for both the wireless and config settings and have router firewall turned on and dos protection on. I have my router setup for the best security so what im wondering since it hasnt had a firmware update in 2 years would it still have a security risk considering i have all the special features turned off like remote management? Is the firewall on older routers less effective than newer routers?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Router Firewall Question

The firewalls in older routers are probably not any less secure than newer routers.  Firewalls on consumer routers simply block unsolicited incoming traffic.  The way they do that hasn't changed.  Where consumer routers seem to be vulnerable is actually from the inside.  Most of the security fixes you see nowadays involve attacks on the LAN side of the router, say from a compromised computer.  In this respect, it would be fair to say that an older router may be more vulnerable than a newer router.  But if it takes a compromised computer to exploit a router vulnerability, then you have a bigger problem on your hands.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Router Firewall Question

The firewalls in older routers are probably not any less secure than newer routers.  Firewalls on consumer routers simply block unsolicited incoming traffic.  The way they do that hasn't changed.  Where consumer routers seem to be vulnerable is actually from the inside.  Most of the security fixes you see nowadays involve attacks on the LAN side of the router, say from a compromised computer.  In this respect, it would be fair to say that an older router may be more vulnerable than a newer router.  But if it takes a compromised computer to exploit a router vulnerability, then you have a bigger problem on your hands.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7