× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router suddenly produces horrible download speeds

jawahl
Aspirant

Router suddenly produces horrible download speeds

My router suddenly crapped out on me and it is just over a year old. I pay for 30 Mbps and can not get above 1 Mbps. It randomly happened a couple days ago and no performance altering factors have changed since it worked perfectly; I have not moved the router location in years, there is no large metal object near it intefering with the signal, it is not overheating, and excessive dust is not collecting inside the router. I have reset both the router and modem multiple times which have done nothing. When I  hardwire to the router I still can not get above 1 Mbps. However, if I bypass the router and hardwire to the Modem, I get 35 Mbps. I have called Netgear support and they helped me perform a hardware test, which said there was a 0.0% packet loss so they will do nothing about it. TWC is convinced that it is the router and not their service. I have changed the router channel to many different options and and tried every range; still no success. I have also swapped out the ethernet cable connecting the Modem and router. I feel like I have done everything I can do and My download speed (wireless AND ethernet via router) is still horrible. Is there anything I am missing?

Just to reiterate: I have a WNR2000V4 N300 Router

Model: WNR2000v4|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router suddenly produces horrible download speeds

Hello @jawahl

Welcome to the community!

I suggest that you try to reflash the firmware of the router by downloading the latest firmware from our site and upload it to your unit. 

Once done, factory reset the router then reconfigure it to get the internet connection back. Observe your connection and see if you'll get the same speed. 
As a suggestion, try this on a wired computer first before proceeding on the wireless.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
jawahl
Aspirant

Probably should have put my main concern closer to the top of the post; 

Hardwiring to the router does NOT fix the problem, but hardwiring to the modem does.

Message 2 of 6
netwrks
Master

Try resetting your router to factory default. Reconfigure and try again.

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @jawahl

Welcome to the community!

I suggest that you try to reflash the firmware of the router by downloading the latest firmware from our site and upload it to your unit. 

Once done, factory reset the router then reconfigure it to get the internet connection back. Observe your connection and see if you'll get the same speed. 
As a suggestion, try this on a wired computer first before proceeding on the wireless.

Message 4 of 6
jawahl
Aspirant

@netwrks @ElaineM Thank you both for speedy responses. I forgot to mention that I already did reset to factory and it did not work. However, re-flashing and then resetting to factory must have done the trick. Thanks again! 

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jawahl You're very welcome. 
Glad that it worked!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation