× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up multiple IP cameras on my home network

timcampbel
Aspirant

Setting up multiple IP cameras on my home network

I have several IP cameras on my home netowrk and I cannot find a way to access each of them from the internet.  They all have static IP addresses with a port number as part of the address.  I can setup one camera via the port triggering with HTTP, but I need to setup each of them.  The setup will not allow me to have multiple as it will only allow one "service name" to be set up.  I am using a Netgear WNDR3700v4 router.

Any ideas, or suggestions that I can try?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
timcampbel
Aspirant

Re: Setting up multiple IP cameras on my home network

@TheEther  Thank You.  This works!  I did not realize that you could edit the "Service Name"  I changed the service name and was able to continue to add my cameras.  The app that I am using is IP Cam Viewer for my android.  I can also view the cameras on my browsers just by logging onto my home static IP with the Port number.  

I really appreciate how this community is there to help.  I will browse this site to see if I am able to help other people.  Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You will need to use a different external port for each camera.

Suppose you have 2 cameras with internal addresses and ports of 192.168.1.2:100 and 192.168.1.3:101, and your public IP address is 11.11.11.11.

Create one port forwarding rule to forward from external port 2000 to internal port 100 and address 192.168.1.2.

Create another port forwarding rule to forward from external port 2001 to internal port 101 and address 192.168.3.

Then point your app/browser to 11.11.11.11:2000 to connect to the first camera and 11.11.11.11:2001 to connect to the second camera.

Message 2 of 5
timcampbel
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

You will need to use a different external port for each camera.

Suppose you have 2 cameras with internal addresses and ports of 192.168.1.2:100 and 192.168.1.3:101, and your public IP address is 11.11.11.11.

Create one port forwarding rule to forward from external port 2000 to internal port 100 and address 192.168.1.2.

Create another port forwarding rule to forward from external port 2001 to internal port 101 and address 192.168.3.

Then point your app/browser to 11.11.11.11:2000 to connect to the first camera and 11.11.11.11:2001 to connect to the second camera.

@TheEther, thank you for the quick reply.  I thought that this would work and originally attempted to set up my router this way.  The router requires setting up the IP with a "service name".  Access to my cameras is via HTTP and the router only allows one use of the service name and because of this cannot add more than one camera.  I can access the one camera this way. 

Any suggestions on how to add more cameras?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@timcampbel

The "service name" is just a textual label that you make up to uniquely identify a rule. There's nothing more to it than that. Name the first rule "Camera1" and the second rule "Camera2", for example.

What application are you using to access your cameras?

If it's a decent application, it should not restricted to using a single port to access a camera. Even HTTP doesn't have to run on port 80. http://11.11.11.11:2000 and http://11.11.11.11:2001 are perfectly valid URLs.

Message 4 of 5
timcampbel
Aspirant

@TheEther  Thank You.  This works!  I did not realize that you could edit the "Service Name"  I changed the service name and was able to continue to add my cameras.  The app that I am using is IP Cam Viewer for my android.  I can also view the cameras on my browsers just by logging onto my home static IP with the Port number.  

I really appreciate how this community is there to help.  I will browse this site to see if I am able to help other people.  Thanks again

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7