× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WIFI with N300 WNR2000v5 - Direct fast

FastEddie99
Aspirant

Slow WIFI with N300 WNR2000v5 - Direct fast

I have a N300 WNR2000v5 that I bought last year for my Florida home. It worked well last year (similar WIFI speed to direct ethernet connection; 30 mbs Download, 6 mbs Upload). This year when I fired it up I'm getting full speed with ethernet cable but the best I get WIFI now is 5 mbs Download and 3 mbs Upload. Some upload tests even timed out. I tried rebooting the Netgear remotely. I have firmware V 1.0.0.34. I have a Laptop, 2 cellphones and a printer connected (same as last year). I have capability to connect a smart TV. Signal strength is OK and the WIFI speed results are the same with the PC right next to the router. Channels 1 and 11 are recommended and I am on channel 1. Someone else in my neighborhood is on channel 1 (with me) and one channel 11. Any ideas as to what to try? Can I switch to 5 ghz? Will this mess up our phones and other devices? Should I try a factory reset to defaults (will this zap my firmware back to the default)? Thanks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
FastEddie99
Aspirant

Re: Slow WIFI with N300 WNR2000v5 - Direct fast

Thanks for the info. Settings were as you suggested. It must have been some transient problem. Just ran another speed tests and WIFI is as fast as direct ethernet.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Make sure WMM is enabled

Security should be WPA2

If the above is confirmed, Reset to factory defaults and test using default settings....still bad replace it.

5g requires a Dual Band router and 5g clients (WIFI) which your router isn't.

Message 2 of 3
FastEddie99
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. Settings were as you suggested. It must have been some transient problem. Just ran another speed tests and WIFI is as fast as direct ethernet.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7