× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wired connections

m_cstilly
Aspirant

Slow wired connections

I have a WNR2000v4 connected to an 8channel, DOCSIS 3 surfboard modem hooked directly into my cable provider. My desktop sits right by the modem and router, so I have it wired into the router instead of on the WiFi. At my desktop I get a download speed averaging around 30Mbps and peaking just under 50Mbps, but I pay for 100Mbps. My LAN port shows solid green (100Mbps connection). My firmware is the most recent version (1.0.0.64).

Here's what I've tried and what it's got me:

• Connecting the desktop directly to the modem gives me download speeds just over 100Mbps.
  • Upgrading my jumper cables to cat7e made no difference.
  • The "30, 30, 30" reset made no difference
  • Disabling all QoS has made no difference.

All the troubleshooting I've done points to the router, but I have not been able to increase my speeds at all.

Any and all suggestions/tips are appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Model: WNR2000v4|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Re: Slow wired connections

So the hardware functions at speed less a reasonable amount of overhead when used as a switch. When operating as advertised the overhead is >50%. It's not under warrenty because Netgear's warranty and customer service periods are way below par for industry standard. I guess I'll be replacing it with a competitor's brand. I'm looking at upgrading it with a much nicer Linksys model.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Your router ports are 10/100 Mbps LAN and WAN.  Either upgrade your router, or downgrade your internet. Also, you router is End OF Life...

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/WNR2000v5.pdf?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 2 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Are you saying a 10/100 router is incapable of 100Mbps? Or even 50Mbps?

Message 3 of 16
netwrks
Master

It should at 50Mbps, but not 100, as there is bandwidth overhead. Have you changed the Ethernet cable between router and modem?

Message 4 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Yes, I upgraded the ethernet cables from both the modem to the router and the router to the pc.

Message 5 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@m_cstilly How about if you connect your modem and desktop to the LAN ports on the router and see if you'll get the same speed when you connect directly to the modem.

Message 6 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Connecting the modem to one of the lan ports does not allow the router to connect to the internet.

Message 7 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try to disable the DHCP server on the router. 

Once done, LAN ports should be acting as a switch now.

Message 8 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Well that netted me over 50Mbps (53.8 to be exact), but still nowhere near the 100Mbps that should be possible.

Edit: A second speed test got me up to 71Mbps, so this is promising. However, I cannot access my router settings page anymore.

Message 9 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This is just to test if it's a hardware or a software problem.

Can you try to reset the router, do a firmware reflash and then factory reset it.

Once done, reconfigure the router as it should and connect how the way it was.

Message 10 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

I got it to reset, flashed the firmware, and got it to reset again. Everything is reconnected as it was originally and functioning as it was originally.

Message 11 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How's the speed?

Message 12 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

Same as originally, <50Mbps.

Message 13 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like a hardware problem. If this is still under warranty, contact support and get an RMA.

Message 14 of 16
m_cstilly
Aspirant

So the hardware functions at speed less a reasonable amount of overhead when used as a switch. When operating as advertised the overhead is >50%. It's not under warrenty because Netgear's warranty and customer service periods are way below par for industry standard. I guess I'll be replacing it with a competitor's brand. I'm looking at upgrading it with a much nicer Linksys model.

Message 15 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

Normally, this should have been resolved by uploading the latest firmware and doing a factory reset.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7