× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Storage User setup & Network folders

Ja666
Tutor

Storage User setup & Network folders

Hi, I just got 'old/new' WNDR4700 Centria storage router and have question concernig users allowed to access the share(s).

WNDR4700 allows to go into menu ADVANCED -> Storage -> User_Setup to add User_Name and Password, other than admin.

Than you may want to go into Storage -> Advanced_Settings -> Available_Network_Folders -> Edit_Network_Folder -> Read_Access / Write_Access to give acces to your newly created acount other than admin. No way! Once you click Apply button, tick-box close to your newly created accouts gets cleared (blank).

Also I cannot login into router web page with newly created account name & password, just with admin.

Am I doing something wrong?

Model: CENTRIA (WNDR4700/4720)|Media Storage Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Ja666
Tutor

Re: Storage User setup & Network folders

I did not downgrade WNDR4700 firmware. But it looks I solved some problems with user account other than 'admin' and what is more, finally I can access router HDD shared directory with 'user name' (other than router 'admin') and 'user password'.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Ja666

Welcome to the community!

Can you provide us a screenshot where you add the user and password? 

Do you have the latest firmware installed? 

Message 2 of 9
Ja666
Tutor

User_Setup.gif

Message 3 of 9
Ja666
Tutor

Before Apply button:

Edit_Network_Folder_before_Apply_button.gif

After Apply button:

Edit_Network_Folder_after_Apply_button.gif

Message 4 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After clicking Apply it should clear out the textboxes and the checkboxes should default to All - no password. 

Looks like a firmware problem. I suggest that you try to reflash the firmware of the router by downloading the latest firmware from the website and upload it once again. 

After loading the firmware, do not forget to factory reset the router and then configure the settings manually. 

Once done, configure the user and password then verify if you will have the same problem. 

Message 5 of 9
Ja666
Tutor

So I did as you suggested: downloaded latest firmware (same as before ver. .52), upgraded, reset - no change with the user shared folder rights.

PS. Why the model WNDR 4700/4720 dissapeared from the drop-down Model list?

Message 6 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try to downgrade the firmware and see if it will give you the same result? 

Kindly direct me to which list. 

Message 7 of 9
Ja666
Tutor

I did not downgrade WNDR4700 firmware. But it looks I solved some problems with user account other than 'admin' and what is more, finally I can access router HDD shared directory with 'user name' (other than router 'admin') and 'user password'.

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update! 

Glad you were able to solve it. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation