× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to update firmware on router

luco41
Aspirant

Trying to update firmware on router

Hello,i recently got an email from netgear and it says that i need to upgrade my router firmare, i looked on my netgear genie software to see if there is a firmware upgrade and it said that there isnt't but i then looked on the netgear website and it says that there is a new version, it's wnr2000v5. i have tried to install it to my router by downloading it using both internet explorer and google chrome & i them log in to my router to upload it but it refuses to upload. what am i doing wrong?  i have even rebooted my router and that didn't help. any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

thank you.

Model: WNR2000|Wireless-N Router,WNR2000v4|N300 Wireless Router|EOL
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Trying to update firmware on router

@friendlytim The latest firmware version for WNR2000v3 is 1.1.2.14.

You can directly download it from here

By default, the login is admin and password respectively, in all small letters. 

If you're still unable to login, try other passwords that you may know but retain the username as admin. 

Your last resort is to factory reset the router. Resetting will restore the settings of the router, so once you have reset the unit you will need to reconfigure the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

First check that it really is a wnr2000v5.

Support for that is here:

>>>> WNR2000v5 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Which firmware does you router say it has? What message do you get when you try to upload it?

Message 2 of 7
luco41
Aspirant

I have WNR V4, the firmware version is V1.0.0.66. And what it.tells me is that WNR2000 v5 is not the right version when I try to upload it to my router.

This is the email that i got from netgear,

important Security Update from NETGEAR: New Firmware Is Available for Your Product Our records indicate that you own the following product: WNR2000v4. NETGEAR is aware of one or more security vulnerabilities affecting your NETGEAR product. NETGEAR has released firmware fixes for one or more vulnerabilities affecting your WNR2000v4. What You Can Do: NETGEAR recommends that you download and install the latest firmware for your affected product.
To download the latest firmware for your product:

1. Visit netgear.com/support.
  2. Start typing your model number in the search box, then select your model from the drop-down menu as soon as it appears. If you do not see a drop-down menu, make sure that you entered your model number correctly, or select a product category to browse for your product model.
  3. Click Downloads.
  4. Under Current Versions, select the download whose title begins with Firmware Version.
  5. If you see a Release Notes link, click it.
  6. If you do not see a Release Notes link, click Download.
  7. Follow the instructions in the release notes to download and install the new firmware.
  8. If you do not see any release notes or if the release notes do not have installation instructions, follow the firmware upgrade instructions in your product's user manual, which is available under User Guides and Documentation. Note: If your product does not have a user manual, look for a software administration manual, reference manual, or configuration utility user guide.
  9. (Optional) To view the security advisories for all vulnerabilities that affect your product, return to your product's support page and click Security. This category also contains knowledge base articles about improving the security of your NETGEAR product.

What We Are Doing: It is NETGEAR's mission to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the Internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain the trust of our customers by being proactive rather than reactive to emerging security issues. We appreciate and value having security concerns brought to our attention.
For more information about security at NETGEAR, or to report a security vulnerability, visit http://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Message 3 of 7

@luco41 wrote:

I have WNR V4, the firmware version is V1.0.0.66. And what it.tells me is that WNR2000 v5 is not the right version when I try to upload it to my router.

This is the email that i got from netgear,

important Security Update from NETGEAR: New Firmware Is Available for Your Product Our records indicate that you own the following product: WNR2000v4.

That is not the same thing as wnr2000v5.

Confusing, I know, but Netgear has made five different versions of the WNR2000. They all use different firmware.

The firmware for your device is here:

>>>> WNR2000v4 | Product | Support | NETGEAR  <<<<

The good news is that you already have the latest firmware.

Message 4 of 7
luco41
Aspirant

Okay thanks
Message 5 of 7
friendlytim
Aspirant

I seem to be having the same problem but I have 2000v3. What do I do? I can't seem to get past the login to the router.

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@friendlytim The latest firmware version for WNR2000v3 is 1.1.2.14.

You can directly download it from here

By default, the login is admin and password respectively, in all small letters. 

If you're still unable to login, try other passwords that you may know but retain the username as admin. 

Your last resort is to factory reset the router. Resetting will restore the settings of the router, so once you have reset the unit you will need to reconfigure the router. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7