× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two routers can I change which one does the routing without any issues?

Smokie365
Tutor

Two routers can I change which one does the routing without any issues?

Hi Guys,

Probably a silly question but I will ask it anyway. I currently have my setup as the following..... 

UPC router is upstairs in bridge mode, Hands all traffic to my 3700v2 this one is in routing mode and broadcasts 2.4 and 5ghz wifi to the upstairs of the house. Cat 5 cable is ran downstairs to my 3800 with routing ect turned off.. This broadcasts the same 2.4 and 5ghz ssid as upstairs with same password ect.. 

My question is if I turn off routing on the 3700v2 thats next to the upc modem and turn routing on downstairs on the 3800 would there be any issue? Will the 3800 have no issues pulling traffic from the upc modem through the 3700 and then sending it back upstairs if a device upstairs needs it?

I was hoping to replace the 3800 downstairs with a Nighthawk AC1900 R700 and as its a better router I would ideally want it doing the routing for me.

Also is there any point in upgrading to the Nighthawk if im having no issues with the routers I have..

Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Two routers can I change which one does the routing without any issues?

@Smokie365 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Probably a silly question but I will ask it anyway. I currently have my setup as the following..... 

UPC router is upstairs in bridge mode, Hands all traffic to my 3700v2 this one is in routing mode and broadcasts 2.4 and 5ghz wifi to the upstairs of the house. Cat 5 cable is ran downstairs to my 3800 with routing ect turned off.. This broadcasts the same 2.4 and 5ghz ssid as upstairs with same password ect.. 

My question is if I turn off routing on the 3700v2 thats next to the upc modem and turn routing on downstairs on the 3800 would there be any issue?

Yes.  The 3700v2 will be on the WAN side of the 3800, so devices that attach to its Wi-Fi networks will no longer be on your home network.  

Will the 3800 have no issues pulling traffic from the upc modem through the 3700 and then sending it back upstairs if a device upstairs needs it?

If a second device connects to the 3700v2, then there can be a competition with the 3800 for the 1 public IP address that you have likely been allotted by your ISP.  If this second device wins out over the 3800, then the 3800 will effectively lose its connection to the Internet.

In order to avoid all of this, you will need to place all devices acting as Access Points on the LAN side of whatever device is operating as a router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

If you are getting R7000 it is best of the bunch you have. Let it do the routing and I'd configure the others as AP.

Message 2 of 8
TheEther
Guru

@Smokie365 wrote:

Hi Guys,

My question is if I turn off routing on the 3700v2 thats next to the upc modem and turn routing on downstairs on the 3800 would there be any issue?

Yes.  The 3700v2 will be on the WAN side of the 3800, so devices that attach to its Wi-Fi networks will no longer be on your home network.  

Will the 3800 have no issues pulling traffic from the upc modem through the 3700 and then sending it back upstairs if a device upstairs needs it?

If a second device connects to the 3700v2, then there can be a competition with the 3800 for the 1 public IP address that you have likely been allotted by your ISP.  If this second device wins out over the 3800, then the 3800 will effectively lose its connection to the Internet.

In order to avoid all of this, you will need to place all devices acting as Access Points on the LAN side of whatever device is operating as a router.

Message 3 of 8
Smokie365
Tutor

Yeah sorry but it was silly thinking on my behalf! I'd need the upc router upstairs to feed the wan port on the 3800 downstairs. This will leave me with no link cable from the 3700 to the 3800.

Don't want to be running a second cable.
Message 4 of 8
VE6CGX
Master

Then you're not maximizing benefits from what you have. There is cables almost invisible, like flat ones. Many ways to run cable.

Message 5 of 8
Smokie365
Tutor

I thought I was maximising what I have. Two netgear routers are linked from upstairs to downstairs via cat5 on the lab side and the 3700 upstairs is doing the routing. Just thought If I was to replace the 3800 downstairs with the Nighthawk I would want that to do the routing seen as its a newer model and stuff. I could replace the 3700 with the nighthawk but it would be upstairs and no one will get to see it in all its beauty lol
Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

I think VE6CGX was suggesting that you run a second cable back upstairs. Then you can install the R7000 downstairs.
Message 7 of 8
Smokie365
Tutor

Yeah I wasn't sure lol.

So I'm going to pick up the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 tomorrow and hoping if I take out my other two that this one will cover my whole house without any issues. Anyone any knowledge if it's a good choice?? I have a lot of devices running with smart TVs and kids iPads and what have ye..
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7