× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR 4500v2 Randomly Stops Accepting Login Attempts

youni
Aspirant

WNDR 4500v2 Randomly Stops Accepting Login Attempts

I currently have a WNDR4500v2 set up in AP mode and everything is working fine.  After about 2 weeks, I noticed my network speed has dropped significantly.  I found that the issue is from the WNDR4500v2.  I tried to reboot the router from the router menu but can't login. I had to manually power cycle the router and my network speed was back to normal.

After another 2 weeks or so, the same issue came up.  When this happens, I am unable to log into the router to do a reboot.  When I try to login using www.routerlogin.net, I get a page stating I am not connected to the Router's WiFi network.

routerlogin.jpg

When I try using the IP address, it just gives me a "Waiting for 192.168.0.2..." message.  I can ping the WNDR4500v2 but I am just not able to connect to login.  This is all from a desktop pc connected to my network with an ethernet cable.

Is this a common issue and is there a fix for this? It is very inconvenient for me to manually power cycle the router every few weeks as I am not home often but remoting in.

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
youni
Aspirant

Well, I finally had a chance to reflash about 2 weeks ago. So far everything is working well.  There's been no slowdown or unable to log in issues.  I guess reflashing helped me in this case.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @youni

Welcome to the community!

It's always best to have a static IP address on the router once you have configured it in AP mode.

One possible reason why it's unreachable is that it may need software update. 

The behavior that it is showing right now is pretty odd. You can ping but you cannot access through a web browser. Have you tried using a different browser? 

I would suggest to upgrade the firmware or if it already has the latest one just reflash it by re-uploading then reset the unit. Once you have reset, you will then reconfigure once again the unit to the way it was then that should fix it. 

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The problem as I recall was with most WNDRXXXX where  the AP Mode option Wasn't  part of the Original FW it was added several years later and never worked correctly at least this was the case with WNDR3700 & WNDR4000 and apparently the WNDR4500 too.

Like you suggested they became unreachable and required a reboot I honestly cannot remember if I tried address reservations But I do remember being given a beta FW for the 3700 AP mode. By the time the 4000 ap mode came out I gave up on it.

Message 3 of 7
youni
Aspirant

I believe I have entered a static ip address in the WNDR4500v2. I also have allocated the same ip address to be used by the WNDR4500v2 on my modem with dhcp.  I have tried to log in using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge, all giving the same result as before.  I get a page stating unable to connect to the WNDR4500v2.

I do have the latest firmware so I will try reflashing it and then resetting the unit.  As I am currently away from home for a while, I will have to report back later if it worked.

If this is an issue that can't really be solved, then I might need to look for a replacement for the WNDR4500v2.

Message 4 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let us know any update once you have reflashed it. 

Message 5 of 7
youni
Aspirant

Well, I finally had a chance to reflash about 2 weeks ago. So far everything is working well.  There's been no slowdown or unable to log in issues.  I guess reflashing helped me in this case.

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear that it's working now.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7