× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3300 Access Point with Nighthawk X6 R7900

Umrk
Tutor

WNDR3300 Access Point with Nighthawk X6 R7900

I replaced my WNDR3300 with the Nighthawk X6 R7900 a while ago. I would like to use my old router for something other than collecting dust. My house is spread out and there is a section that has an area of poor connectivity. Woiuld using the WNDR to extend the Nighthawk's signal be worth the effort? Thank you in advance for your reply!

Umrk

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WNDR3300 Access Point with Nighthawk X6 R7900

@Umrk The WNDR3300 has Access Point, Wireless Repeating and Router Mode while R7900 only supports Access Point and Router Mode. 

Having said that, your best configuration is to use it in Access Point mode. Where it will require you to use a long Ethernet cable to be connected to the R7900. 

There's no way to use Wireless Repeating mode since the R7900 do not support that feature. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Umrk

Welcome to the community!

The best way to use it is in Access Point mode.

You will need to run a long cable from the R7900 going to the location of the WNDR3300.

Message 2 of 6
Umrk
Tutor

Hello Elaine, Thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond to my question. However, using an ethernet cable to add my old wndr3300 router to my WAN would certainly work, it defeats the purpose of a WAN. So, although you offered me a "pre-school" solution in terms of simplicity, I feel more than capable of working on a university sophomore or perhaps junior level solution. Any ideas or better yet, any links to such a solution would be appreciated. My google searches have yielded mixed results - none of which were applicable to the WNDR3300. That's why I presumed posing my question on the manufacturer's web site would yield better, and hopefully more specific results. I feel as like the tech support guy just asked me to ensure my device is plugged in, despite engaging him in an online chat. TIA Umrk
Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The solution he gave you was correct, if you think you know better go for it, You don't need our help.

If you're looking for a wireless extender or repearter then say you're looking for a extender or repeater. And if that's what you're looking for then you'll have to purchase one.

Message 4 of 6
Umrk
Tutor

My apologies "searay:": I was not informed of the proper protocol required to post a question on this board, including the resulting response when a question is improperly phrased. Still, the hostility of your reply exceeds what is acceptable on a corporation’s “community board.”  Unfortunately, your statement "The solution he gave you was correct, if you think you know better go for it, You don't need our help" alienates not just me, but many others who may have the same question...not just today, but for months and years to come. Perhaps the "superuser" tag by your moniker has bestowed special authority upon you and power over this board. Surely, this power and authority does not permit you to respond in an aggressive and rude manner whenever you identify a violation of the board’s protocol…a protocol that seems to exist in your mind alone.

Nevertheless, weeks have passed and my original question remains unanswered: Where might I find information for using an old WNDR3300 router to extend or perhaps strengthen the signal of my Nighthawk X6 R7900 wifi signal?  That is, without having to run or pull cable through my house (which is the original reason I purchased my Netgear products almost a decade ago).

I am not sure how much clearer I can be. Hopefully the forthcoming response will contain the knowledge and experience of a “superuser” and not the petulance and rudeness of an anti-social loner who easily finds offense at perceived slights (real or imagined) then lashes in a manner out of proportion with whatever slight was made on a board dealing with Netgear’s products. One thing I know for certain…I would not want to be around when you finally snap.

TIA

UMRK

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Umrk The WNDR3300 has Access Point, Wireless Repeating and Router Mode while R7900 only supports Access Point and Router Mode. 

Having said that, your best configuration is to use it in Access Point mode. Where it will require you to use a long Ethernet cable to be connected to the R7900. 

There's no way to use Wireless Repeating mode since the R7900 do not support that feature. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7