Novice

WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Cable

Not sure if this is in the right place...

Currently connected to the router using my computer which is connected by a cable.

My Laptop, my Mom's laptop, and my Dad's laptop repeatedly get disconnected from this router on wifi.

We just bought the router several days ago.

Whenever I'm on my laptop, connected to the wireless network, about 10 minutes into the connection it'll either say "Local only" (No internet) or just completely drop me from the connection (I have to reconnect to the network).

Then there's the problem where I press "Connect" to the wireless network, I stand right next to the router, and it completely refuses to connect.
Wait a few more minutes, reconnect and I'm back on the internet.

10 minutes later; dropped again.

Any idea?
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Ca

If you have a DSL modem has it been set to Bridged Mode? Many DSL modems are also routers.

Is the router well positioned away from other electrical items (a minimum of 1 metre)?

Do you have any devices in the house like video senders, wireless phones (2.4GHz), baby monitors etc. operating on the 2.4GHz band which may interfere with the router signal?

You could also download insider and scan for other networks, try to pick a channel that is not heavily occupied and select from channels 1, 6, or 11 (since all other channels overlap with these).
Novice

Re: WNDR3400 N600 Router repeatedly drops internet connection on both Wireless and Ca

It's not the DSL. Yes the router's well positioned away from other electric items. no I don't have any of those devices; this started with this new router, the other worked perfectly fine until it shut down on its own; wouldn't start. I tried 1, 6, 11, and several other channels already.
Apprentice

Netgearuser38 wrote:

no I don't have any of those devices

Not even a microwave oven?
Retired_Member

Try wireless without any security see if you still drop. Be sure whatever security you are using is compatible for all your wifi cards. Set max to 54mb first see if that holds.
Retired_Member

delete all wifi connections which are stored in your PC
Novice

I changed the Mode in the Wireless Settings in the router page from 300Mbps to 145Mbps.

Trying this out, hopefully it works.

Thanks for the tips, and yes I have a microwave.
Apprentice

(1) The subject heading for this thread says that you are experiencing connection drops that are BOTH "wireless and cable". I take it to mean that you get disconnected sometimes EVEN THOUGH you are connected to the router via an ethernet cable? If so, I would check to ensure that my cables are properly inserted/connected. I would also try changing the ethernet cables.

(2) For the wireless part, I would make an immediate check around the house anytime I experience a "drop" to see if any other wireless devices were just used that may have caused it. Microwaves are known to cause disturbances in the 2.4GHz band especially if the seal/gasket is not working so good. If this is the cause then you may need to have to have an appliance technician see what can be done about it. I would also try to locate my network devices well away from the microwave.

(3) Have you scanned with inSSIDer? You didn't specifically say that you did. It is really important to choose a channel that's the least "populated" by other strong networks that may be near you. Also, too much "noise" from other networks, etc. could cause you to lose wireless connectivity.

(4) Since the WNDR3400 is a simultaneous dual band router, you could try using the 5GHz band which is less prone to interference but has less range. For this though, your wireless devices and PCs must either have a dual band card or you can use a dual band receiver that plugs into a USB port.

These are just some suggestions that I hope may help. Smiley Happy
Aspirant

Netgearuser34, did you ever get this resolved? I just bought the netgear n600 wndr3400 to replace an old linksys wrt54g. The netgear router worked perfect for 1 day and the 2nd day my laptops kept constantly disconnecting. I am using the 2.4Ghz frequency and have the router set to 300mbps. 1 of my laptops can handle 802.11n while the other cannot. I assume two things could be causig this: 1) I had the channel set to auto, maybe the automatic channel switching is causing the issue 2) The two laptops are connecting at different standards, maybe there is some incompatibility issue? I have now set the channel to 1 instead of auto and the connection appears to be stable. But I want to make sure this issue doesnt creap back up. Please comment on your experience. If you ended up just returning the router I may be tempted to do the same...
Apprentice

ABItTooSpicy,

A more sure way of choosing a channel least "populated" by strong neighboring networks is to scan with inSSIDer.

2.4GHz has greater range (distance) but is more prone to noise and disturbances that could lead to disconnection. 5GHz has less range but less prone to disturbances, and your devices must also be able to support it.

Even though you have settings at 300Mps and 802.11n, the PC that is not capable of "n" will drag down your speed. I would try 145Mps which is purported to be more "neighbor-friendly".

If you switched to channel 1 and it's stable so far, I would say it's a sign that you were getting too much disturbances before. Changing a router wouldn't make disturbance issues go away.

I have the WNDR3400 and, thankfully, with no problems for last 6 months. I'm not endorsing the router by any means, but just saying people are quick to blame a router when their problems may be caused any number of issues, eg. placement, orientation, environment, etc. It is difficult to imagine what may be causing a problem without actually being there. Smiley Happy
Aspirant

Joe, Thanks for the feedback. Sadly the stability was only limited. I have now had about 5 disconnects in the span of 2 hours. The connection dies and then comes back again within 15 to 20 seconds. This never happened with the 6 year old Linksys Router!! I have also been watching the signal with inSSIDer and apparently both my signals (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) drop at the same time or very close to each other, when this happens. I changed the setting to be 54Mps, reconnected all devices. 2 Laptops, 1 Blackberry and 1 Nintendo Wii (streaming netflix). (Since 3 out of 4 connect at 54Mps anyway). Started streaming netflix and within 20 minutes had another disconnect. inSSIDer shows both connections dropped (the Time Graph has a disconnect in the signal). I am all out of ideas... any one have any suggestions on what to try? I am pretty much ready to take this thing back! Smiley Sad
Apprentice

ABitTooSpicy,

Do you have your router standing vertically (ie. on the 2 "feet" provided) or lying flat (ie. horizontally)?

Just a thought, but I have my 3400 vertical because I do find that it runs a bit on the hot side and this position allows for better heat dissipation. Could it be that your router is overheating and after it cools off a bit it works better??? Smiley Happy
Aspirant

Great minds think alike. I thought the same thing, as initially I did have it lying flat and it did feel very hot. Now it is vertical for the last day or so, and doesn't seem to have resolved anything.

I ended up calling support and I was told that returning it is my only option as this is a known issue with some of the routers, a firmware update usually fixes it but since I have already done the firmware update and tried all the things listed above, the support person had nothing else for me to try... Smiley Sad

I guess back to Best Buy it goes...
Apprentice

ABitTooSpicy,

It could have sustained sufficent damage already to weaken some internal components.

I agree that since you still have that window of time to return it then you should.

Good luck! Smiley Happy
Novice

Hi ABitTooSpicy,

I don't know if you've tried this yet, but if not, try it.

1. Go into your router settings page.
2. Go into the wireless settings section.
3. If you have two networks, it shows the wifi name twice, look for Mode.
4. Change it to "Up to 145Mbps"
5. Do this for both if there's another one.

Hopefully this will fix your internet.

-Netgearuser38
Aspirant

Was a fix found for this issue?

I have a new N600 and the same thing is happening. I can rule wireless out as wired connection also show the same thing. It's not the individual PCs as everything can see the router but the router cannot see the modem. The modem works fine as plugging a pc directly into the modem lets that pc see the internet.
Apprentice

Jezo wrote:
I have a new N600 and the same thing is happening...

And your router was working for a period of time before you started getting disconnected from both wired and wireless PCs?
Aspirant

I have a similar problem but different enough that I will list my situation:

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice.

Ruvi
Apprentice

ruviwije wrote:
I have a similar problem but different enough...

To begin with, IMHO you really should have started a new thread if you read this. Nevertheless...

The Netgear worked great for about 6 months but in the past two weeks has become very unstable - with frequent disconnects.

Have you thought of any event or change that may have coincided with your issues?

According to the software update built into the router web interface, I am running the latest version

Did your issues perhaps start after a FW upgrade? What FW version are you on? I'm running FW version V1.0.0.38_16.0.48 and I don't upgrade my FW since I don't have any issues and IMHO doing so is looking for trouble.

I used to have the modem horizontal, and changed it to a vertical mounting - and I am not sure if that triggered the instability. After reading about this (even though the suggestion was the opposite), I have removed it from the vertical mount position and will post an update if I see any change

Since you did read about it, is or was your router running hot? The idea mentioned here about having the router vertical on the stand it came with has to do with heat dissipation. Although if you read the manuals, they recommend one orientation or the other to suit how you may prefer the signal to be projected.

If your router has already sustained heat damage unbeknownst to you, there is little that changing the orientation can do for you now.

I lose connectivity to the Internet, but my local connection (network drives, printers, etc) remain intact

Based on this it is a possibility that your WAN port is failing. There may be other reasons of course, but no other comes to mind at the moment.
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
To begin with, IMHO you really should have started a new thread if you read this. Nevertheless...

Sorry Joe - it seemed that others posted about experiencing both Wifi and Ethernet dropping... same as me. And there seemed to be nobody posting saying that their problem was solved, so I hoped that I was contributing to the original thread.

Have you thought of any event or change that may have coincided with your issues?

None that I can think of except changing the orientation of the Router. I cannot be certain, but it may have been around the same time that the need to restart the router began.

As an experiment, I returned the router to the horizontal position - but it didn't help. I had to reset the router to read your post. And I don't even have to unplug it. I use the switch on the router to power down the router, and then after a few seconds, restart it.

Did your issues perhaps start after a FW upgrade? What FW version are you on? I'm running FW version V1.0.0.38_16.0.48 and I don't upgrade my FW since I don't have any issues and IMHO doing so is looking for trouble.

I too function on the "if it ain't broke..." basis with firmware upgrades. I don't recall ever upgrading the firmware on this router - certainly not when I started experiencing problems. It does an auto-check each time I log into the Web management interface, and I've only gone in a few times since setting it up.

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

Since you did read about it, is or was your router running hot? The idea mentioned here about having the router vertical on the stand it came with has to do with heat dissipation. Although if you read the manuals, they recommend one orientation or the other to suit how you may prefer the signal to be projected.

The router seems normal... whatever that may mean. It doesn't feel hot, just the regular warm feeling you get from most any electronic device. It is not hot like a most dual-core laptops get. I also have it in a well ventilated space with no carpet/cloth to affect airflow.

Router signal range hasn't been an issue for me - whether stored vertically or horizontally. When it works, it works well.

Based on this it is a possibility that your WAN port is failing. There may be other reasons of course, but no other comes to mind at the moment.

This makes sense.

The one other thing that comes to mind is that for some reason it's losing track of the IP assigned by my ISP - and restarting causes the N600 to go back to my cable modem and request the IP.

Thank you for your advice and patience. I'll try contacting Netgear and see if they have any suggestions and/or will replace it for me. If I learn anything of significance, I'll add it to this thread.

Ruvi
Apprentice

ruviwije wrote:
...it seemed that others posted...

Very true. I really didn't mean anything by it nor was I singling you out. I just wanted to bring something to your awareness.

It does an auto-check each time I log into the Web management interface

I found this annoying, so I checked the box that turned it off. Any time I want to check on or upgrade the FW, I'll do it myself.

The router seems normal... It doesn't feel hot
...whether stored vertically or horizontally. When it works, it works well.

Those were just suggestions really, and not necessarily the cause of your issues.

The one other thing that comes to mind is that for some reason it's losing track of the IP assigned by my ISP - and restarting causes the N600 to go back to my cable modem and request the IP

Since you have now mentioned this, I wouldn't rule out the modem or your ISP as the culprit. IMO, just because rebooting the router restores your connection doesn't automatically make the router the problem. That's what a router is suppose to do whenever it's rebooted. What I would say it narrows the issue down to is that it's on the WAN side - and that includes anything in that chain.

What you can try is to take the router out of the equation and connect a computer directly to the modem and leave it so for as long as possible to see if you lose connection at any time. Now I don't know how frequently you lose connection, or what kind of inconvenience it may cause you, but it should be attached by wire for as long as you feel it's normal for you to lose connection. That as I see it is the way to pinpoint the router as the culprit or indicate if your problem lies further along the chain.

If I learn anything of significance, I'll add it to this thread.

Yup. That's the way to go.
Aspirant

So I contacted Netgear and they sent me a link to the latest firmware, and it seems to have fixed my problem. It's been about 4 days and I haven't had to reset my router.

I hesitate to post the link in case it is specific to my exact version of the N600 - I'll post it, but my advice to you is to open a ticket with Netgear - and provide them with the exact model/version of your router and explain your problem. Here's the firmware that I am now running:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19565

BTW, Netgear's response time was very quick and the support directions were simple to follow.
Apprentice

ruviwije wrote:
...my exact version of the N600...

This confusion about N600 being the router's model number has already been mentioned in another thread.

Actually, in your case the router's model number is WNDR3700. This has only become clear through your posting the link to the firmware.

However, if you look at the heading of this thread you will see it is for the WNDR3400. Both are N600 routers because N600 really refers to any router (whether Netgear, Linksys, DLink, etc.) that's capable of obtaining a theoretical total maximum throughput of 600 Mbps on both bands.

All router manufacturers seem to be "feeding" on the ignorance of potential buyers by pushing this latest "magical" way of advertising their routers. In fact, N_whatever is featured much more boldly on the packaging of a new router than the model number itself. Maybe it is a marketing strategy that's reaping greater sales, but it's also resulting in confusion for the end user when he/she needs to seek help in a forum such as this.

So, for what little it's worth, hopefully some users will come across this post and learn something about their own router.
Aspirant

Thanks again for the info Joe. Linksys is no better - they have tiny "version numbers" for each of their routers... that would again differentiate one from the other. Again a nightmare for support forums or web searches.
Aspirant

hey guys sorry i am way late but it seems that i found the solution to the problem of this damnation router to be dropping the wifi signal (drums please)!
is the firmware the latest v10.0.50 has a problem if you look at the suppose features and enhancement for that firmware it has an Auto internet disconnection/ connections (24 hours internet disconnection for Germany) god know what this means and what in the world is used i don't know !

so the solution is to downgrade back to V10.0.038
and install it on the router where it says update section that is it after i did this ooow man it was a relieve because i thought it was my devices messing but when i looked online a lot people had the same problem and all of them had the same firmware would net gear acknowledge this LET HOPE SO!

quick tip all you have to is google wndr3400 firmware and both firmware will show u click on v1.0.0.038 and it will take u directly into the website u download and u open the zip file theirs is two files the one u have to extract is the recovered file fragments the other one is just and HTML file in which YOU DONT NEED and then u do the update from ur router and that is IT!
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors