× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400V3 2.4 G WiFi Disconnecting HELP

MaxHP
Aspirant

WNDR3400V3 2.4 G WiFi Disconnecting HELP

I have 3 netgear products CM700 Cable Modem WNDR3400V3 Wireless Router and WAC104 Wireless Access Point.

When I set the WNDR 2.4 G all me devices drop on 2.4 G and reconnect at least 1 time per minute. I have to turn off the WNDR WiFi radio and let the devices run on the Acess Point which never drops. I have changed channels to the same on both 2.4 G WiFi radios and channel 1, 6, 11 set the same broadcast name and phrase using the same security settings WPA2-PSK [AES] moved the router. Turned off all other 2.4 G devices (cordless phones...). Turned off the radio on the AP and only run the router radio. Changed the MTU settings through calculation it is perfect. Set Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence off and on. Split channels between the 2 Radios. For the first month it was fine now I only run the AC 2.4 G and where the router is my connection is extermly slow do to the weak signal from the AC in the basement. I am 10 feet from the router and still cant keep the connection. The 5 G settings on both work with out issue all my 5G devices are stable. I have wired all my equipment about 30 devices through Cat6 where I can I only use WiFi on tablet and phones and rarely my laptop which I had to add a 5 G USB adaptor same issue old labtop only has 2.4 G.

All firmware on the Netgear devices are of the latest version.

Is my router defective?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
MaxHP
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3400V3 2.4 G WiFi Disconnecting HELP

Well I gave up the only way to stabilize this router was to disable the radio and that isnt an option. I purchased a new R6700v2 router and set it up now my system is stable on all devices. I have all 12 Cat5e devices wired and 5 2.4gHz older androids set and 6 5gHz devices all running without issue. I would like to return this WMDR3400V3 but I suppose I have little chance of that.

Thanks for the help and short of opening up the device I believe I tried everything to get it to function as it should.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The WNDR3400V3 and WAC104 should definitely use different channels.  Otherwise, they will fight each other for airtime.  That, however, does not explain the problem.  Have you checked the logs on the WNDR3400V3?

Message 2 of 16
MaxHP
Aspirant

Yes daily but never see anything that indicates an internal connection issue only things like dos attacks and the occasional reconnect to the ISP after some maintenance done by Comcast. I check all 3 devices and typically reboot  1 per week just old school habit. Something else that happens once in a while my MagicJack phone connection dies and I have to run the backup to get it fixed. I typically run the address reservation and set each divice a static IP and only run DHCP when I have company or expect some other reason to open my WiFi. It doesnt matter DHCP or Static both still have the 2.4G disconnections.

Message 3 of 16
TheEther
Guru

Difficult to say what's going on.  The 2.4 GHz radio on the WNDR3400 could certainly be going bad.  Have you tried running a Wi-Fi Analyzer?  It might help to know whether the actual radio signal is dying or if the disconnection is happening at the protocol level.

Message 4 of 16
MaxHP
Aspirant

Yes I have a wifi analizer but it is unclear to me if it is real time or what the refresh rate is, not a setting I can see or change. The signal modulates a little between -35 and -40 but never drops I do see other signals drop from the neighbors weaker signals and come back.

I just enabled the 2.4 G and for about 10 minutes it was stable then it started its disconnection game. This time I lost my 5 G connections too and I couldn't log into the router so I rebooted and then turned off the radio on the WNDR 2.4 G now it is stable again. Strange thing MagicJack was still connected up to the point of reboot. Since the cable modem and router are seperate its not like there is a power issue where the amp to push the signal up is making the voltage / current out of range for the router. Since the AP doesnt have a WAN Port I cant swap out the devices, I will see I I can find one to use just for sanity sake but I am beginning to believe the WNDR is bad or the firmware has a conflict. The firmware just updated within the last 2 weeks because of the vulnerability security issue netgear had.

Message 5 of 16
TheEther
Guru

If you haven't already done so, do a factory reset.  Ocassionally, a firmware update will be incompatible with the configuration settings of the previous firmware.

Message 6 of 16
MaxHP
Aspirant

I will try that again should I rebuild the settings from scratch or load the back up? I have used the back up in the past.

Message 7 of 16

@MaxHP wrote:

I will try that again should I rebuild the settings from scratch or load the back up? I have used the back up in the past.

Try a backup, but be prepared to reset from scratch.

If the new firmware has implemented something that is not compatible with the old configuration could reintroduce the problem.

If a problem persists after restoring the settings, it is easy enough to reset it again,.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 16
hnaparst
Aspirant

My WAC104 disconnects also.   Support is unable to resolve the issue.   I will just hope that a firmware update in the future resolves the issue.

Message 9 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hnaparst I suggest that you post your inquiry about WAC104 under Business section

Message 10 of 16
hnaparst
Aspirant

Actually, reflashing the firmware appears to have solved the issue.  So you should be aware that firmware that is shipped from the factory might not be installed correctly.

Message 11 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@hnaparst Thank you for that update. 

Message 12 of 16
MaxHP
Aspirant

So please tell me you reflashed the WAC104 and that addressed your issue?

Message 13 of 16
hnaparst
Aspirant

Yes.
Message 14 of 16
MaxHP
Aspirant

Well I gave up the only way to stabilize this router was to disable the radio and that isnt an option. I purchased a new R6700v2 router and set it up now my system is stable on all devices. I have all 12 Cat5e devices wired and 5 2.4gHz older androids set and 6 5gHz devices all running without issue. I would like to return this WMDR3400V3 but I suppose I have little chance of that.

Thanks for the help and short of opening up the device I believe I tried everything to get it to function as it should.

Message 15 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MaxHP Thank you for updating. Have a great day!

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7