× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3400v2-slower speed on Netgear than the cable modem

richw46
Aspirant

WNDR3400v2-slower speed on Netgear than the cable modem

Time Warner (TWC) is upgrading their service in our area. I received and installed the new cable modem, attached my WNDR3400v2 to one of the 4 ports on the new modem. When I connect my laptop by CAT5e, CAT5 or CAT6 directly to the new modem I'm getting up to 190 Mbps. When I connect to the Netgear modem I'm getting half that speed.  The WNDR3400v2 is capable of speeds up to 300 Mbps. I have put CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 between Netgear and cable modem. The speed tests are always the same, Netgear is about half of the direct connection.

I have reset the modem back to factory, still no joy.  I have looked for a firmware update but there is none. These are new cables.  What can be causing this drop in speed?  Have I missed a setting somewhere?

-Rich

Model: JNDR3000|N600 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: WNDR3400v2-slower speed on Netgear than the cable modem

Yes! The Wan port makes 5 ports all 10-100

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What's the max speed of 100base t connection?

Message 2 of 4
richw46
Aspirant

OK, I think I see, each of the ports (4) is only capable of 100 Mps on the Netgear router, right?  The cable modem has a higher capability which is why I can get a faster download there.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes! The Wan port makes 5 ports all 10-100

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos