Tutor

WNDR3700 Attached Devices List Empty

The router service seems to be working fine except:

The Router console can not get firmware upgrades [it says I do not have an internet connection]! Even more bothersome at the moment the Attached Devices list is empty. It does not even recognize the Hard Wired console:

Windows 7, 64-Bit, IE8 8.0.7600

Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.42

I have at least 6 wireless devices connected and of course the one hardwired computer described above. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.
Aspirant

Re: WNDR3700 Attached Devices List Empty

Firmware Version V1.0.4.68NA
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.42

I have the same problem with my attached devices list being empty.

The WNDR3700 is now up and running as the backbone of my home network; attached to the first two LAN ports are gigabit Netgear switches that handle traffic from a) our living room entertainment center and b) my desk, where I have hard-wired a Linux desktop, a Macbook Pro, and a ReadyNAS Duo--all of which have reserved IPs for the sake of port forwarding.

So, obviously I have a bunch of devices physically wired to the router. On the afternoon that I set it up, I played with the routing tables a bit before deciding to go with it's recommendation to upgrade my wireless encryption from WEP to WPA-PSK. However, as soon as I switched to the new wireless encryption scheme, the list of attached devices went blank and has nary informed me of an attached device since.

Not sure if anything short of a firmware upgrade is gonna fix this. Here's hoping it gets addressed.
Aspirant

A quick update to the previous post:

I noticed that the link to the switch at my desk was only functioning at 100Mbps, as opposed to full gigabit. This was puzzling considering all of the links on the switch except the one leading to the router were showing gigabit functionality.

After rewiring the switch to make sure that its main port was in fact running to the router, it occurred to me that I had spliced the line to the router through the surge-protected ethernet jacks on the UPS under my desk.

I unplugged the two ends of the line from the UPS, reconnected them with a female-female connector, et voila; not only did the link immediately switch to 1000Mbps, but the router's web interface once again shows a populated attached devices list. Go figure.

Not sure if this is going to help you Dave, but double-checking your connections can't hurt.

Regards
Aspirant

I just picked up this router today and am having the same issue; the attached devices list is empty even though I have at least five devices attached.

I'm having another issue where just one computer that's hard-wired can't connect to the network for whatever reason, but that's a separate problem...
Aspirant

Same issue here, I have 6 wired devices (three computers, Xbox360, Wii and BluRay player) and two wireless laptop connections, yet my Attached Devices list shows nothing.

Is it just me, or does it seem like hardware providers are showing less and less concern for supplying firmware that actually functions?
Aspirant

I think I posted my reply to this in the wrong thread. I am having a similar issue. My wireless devices are showing up in the wired section of my attached devices list. I also have the same issue with the router upgrade page not finding an internet connection, even though my computer is actually connected to the internet. The only solution I have found so far is to power cycle the router every time this happens.
Aspirant

Same problem here. Latest firmware but attached devices list empty
Aspirant

I have had the same problem, and even though currently connected wireless devices will still work, any new wireless device will not longer be able to connect.

Only way for me to fix it is to reboot the router.

Then my wireless devices can start connecting again and the devices list start populating again.

Hope that gets fixed. It's kind of like my wireless lock's up.

Note: I have wireless devices connecting via 'N' to both channels so i pretty much tax out the router.
Aspirant

I am having the same problems. I did not see these prior to upgrading to v68.

Does anyone know if Netgear is addressing these issues?

Thanks.
Aspirant

I am have the same issues. I did not see these problems with the prior firmware version, only after I upgarded to Version V1.0.4.68NA.

Has anyone called this into Netgear?
Novice

Same here. I put a ticket in for tracking purposes. The engineer still doesn't seem to understand the problem.
Aspirant

Add me to the list can't upgrade firmware(current: V1.0.4.68NA) and My wireless devices are showing up in the wired section of my attached devices list

package wrote:

Does anyone know if Netgear is addressing these issues?

Does not look like it.
Aspirant

I'm having the very same issue (just found this topic through a Google search btw) but I was pretty sure that I knew what the cause was and while I'm sure that the solution can't be this simple given the complex nature of some of your setups, I figure it's worth mentioning that it didn't start happening to me until I told my router to act as DHCP server. When family members would come over with their laptops and phones they'd always have trouble getting on the network because I used a static IP for every computer in the house (port forwarding and restriction purposes) and I eventually got tired of having to change their connection settings and then try to explain to them (many of them aren't too good with computers) what they had to do when they got back home to fix it so I just changed the settings to have router dole out the IP addresses once they connected since I could still mandate an IP for any computer that I wanted. Long story short, I just turned the DHCP option off and "Attached Devices" actually works again.
Aspirant

This is not the ONLY issue that I have after this upgrade, but I really need to get the list to work so that I can verify the attached devices to my router.

I have also got issues with the port forwarding not working properly as well. :mad: Only SOME of the ports that I have setup to forward actually work remotely, but ALL work without issue on the local network. :confused:

That is another issue altogether though.

I have such a LOVE/HATE relationship with this router... I just hope it does not shift entirely to the hate side.

@warhummer Any update from Netgear support on this?
Aspirant

Well- Just an update to this issue. I found that I was able to get the attached device list to function properly again. On a side note, this also resolved the port forwarding issue that I was seeing.

To resolve this issue I did the following:
-Removed attached external drive.
-Disabled DHCP
-did a 30/30/30
--Attached devices list then populated properly
---Attached and verified functionality of the External drive
----Enabled DHCP again

All the devices are listed properly in the Attached devices list now, and all enabled functions work without issue again.

Hope this helps those who have this issue.

I am shifting further to the "Love" side of my love/hate relationship with this device again. :rolleyes:
Aspirant

Xynergy wrote:

To resolve this issue I did the following:
-Removed attached external drive.
-Disabled DHCP
-did a 30/30/30
--Attached devices list then populated properly
---Attached and verified functionality of the External drive
----Enabled DHCP again

What's a 30/30/30?

I seem to be having the attached devices issue but it's intermittent. Sometimes when I do a refresh, nothing shows up, other times it populates the list (but doesn't always show the names of the devices!).

I cannot even see my VoIP phone which is wired to the router (but the wireless devices show up when the router feels like displaying them as described above).

Very frustrating.
Aspirant

This is the 3rd NetGear router I have owned and one of the problems with the last model (WNR3500) I had was that every month or so I would have to reboot the router because for no apparent reason, I could no longer log on to the wireless connection. For a system that uses multiple AppleTV units to send my entire movie/video/music/photo collection around the house, this eventually just became unacceptable to have to keep going to the den to reboot and it was obvious that NetGear simply stopped supporting any kind of firmware update and couldn't apparently care less. After trying another brand (Belkin), I ended up getting the WNDR3700 because quite frankly, it sucked even worse (with no way to dedicate specific addresses to specific devices) and its range was considerably worse.

This model does not seem to have the problem with the wireless network becoming unusable, but it DOES have some very blatant bugs/issues and given the months that keep on passing since the last update, I'm starting to doubt they have the slightest interest in fixing any of them.

I just looked at my attached devices list and it is empty. Usually, it either works or it's corrupted (i.e. the devices will appear under wired or wireless with no associated names and it seems it cannot tell the difference between them despite having reserved addresses for all my home devices (quite a few including two printers, four full time computers (2 Apple Macs, one with Windows also and 1 full time PC with XP and Linux and a hacked Netbook running Mac OSX also), multiple AppleTV and Airport Express units (part of my whole house audio/video system) and various iOS devices.

More often, inside OSX, I will see a "Shared" list that starts out populated with my extra devices (i.e. the two printers and the full time PC), but after using one of them, the others will then disappear off the list for reasons unknown. Sometimes, they will still appear on another Mac that hadn't accessed them, but eventually seem to disappear off the list as well. Active "Bonjour" devices using Apple's own networking default (AFP) will always show up, however, but passive devices like printers and SMB devices (like Windows that are not running AFP) will NOT show up.

Note that a reboot of the router will cause ALL of these issues to be fixed temporarily, which reminds me of how a reboot would cure the 3700's wireless issues, except that this seems to work for less time (i.e. the shared list issues start all over again the first time a Mac selects a shared device of any type) and quite frankly, I couldn't tell you what causes the attached device list to stop functioning correctly, since to check it you have to be connected to the router. Suffice to say, after a fair period of time it stops functioning correctly. Maybe the reserved list of devices has something to do with this and that's why NetGear acts like they have no clue what we're talking about? In any case, they should be testing their routers better than that and more importantly, they should be doing something about it!

It's HARD to find a SOLID router with bug-free firmware these days. I remember earlier B/G routers being left on for MONTHS and MONTHS (years in the case of my mother's house where she never touches anything) and it JUST WORKS! Why is it that all these newer routers with the "N" standard and gads of features (most of which are hardly if ever used) just seem to be so bug-laden? I could understand how frequently the models changed when "N" was in draft status and being updated frequently, but there's nothing much new under the sun these days!

I for one would MUCH MUCH prefer to see a company produce a BUG FREE model that doesn't get updated in hardware every year, but gets updated in firmware until it's solid as a rock than new hardware that is always buggy! I would GLADLY buy another router today that could deliver a strong range with no bugs and only minimal features (like reserve addresses) than keep being stuck with these buggy monstrosities that try to be everything from NAS controllers to print servers and yet need rebooted every month to keep working. I want to turn the thing on and forget about it!
Aspirant

I have the same issue. If netgear don't address serious bugs in their flagship domestic router which we all paid up big bucks for, they can kiss goodbye any future spending on their offerings from at least me...

I work for a software developer, and if we treated our customers this way I would expect law suits, i'm not joking. How does netgear get away with it and continue to do business?
Novice

EfremJ wrote:
What's a 30/30/30?

I seem to be having the attached devices issue but it's intermittent. Sometimes when I do a refresh, nothing shows up, other times it populates the list (but doesn't always show the names of the devices!).

I cannot even see my VoIP phone which is wired to the router (but the wireless devices show up when the router feels like displaying them as described above).

Very frustrating.
    seconds 2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds 3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds
After this process (a total of 90 seconds) is complete, your router should be restored to its factory default state. Note that your particular router may not require the full 30-30-30 procedure. For example, some routers can at times be hard reset after only 10 seconds and without power cycling. Nevertheless, I still recommended memorizing this 30-30-30 rule as a general guideline.
Aspirant

dcer10 wrote:
I have the same issue. If netgear don't address serious bugs in their flagship domestic router which we all paid up big bucks for, they can kiss goodbye any future spending on their offerings from at least me...

I work for a software developer, and if we treated our customers this way I would expect law suits, i'm not joking. How does netgear get away with it and continue to do business?

They get away with it because ALL the competing companies do more or less the same thing. It's hard to threaten to go to a competing product when they all seem to be buggy too. The Belkin I tried wasn't even close to the range of the Netgear and it didn't even have a reserved device list (I want my devices to be at the same address so I can easily connect to them directly if needed; this is even more important if the attached device list isn't working properly since it's hard to see what addresses the devices have been assigned by DHCP.

The frustrating part is when you report bugs like this and they just get ignored and no fixes are forthcoming. I've seen Apple ignore many minor bugs for years and years in OSX (e.g If you try to rename a file in Finder while it's updating icon previews, it will exit the rename while you're typing even; this has been there FOREVER and they NEVER fix it). I guess if they aren't being inundated with complaints day and night, they must figure their employees can be put to more important tasks than fixing bugs, like adding more unnecessary features to create all new bugs. :rolleyes:
Aspirant

Well to be fair, the WNDR3700 seems to be fine hardware-wise. It's the firmware that seems to suck big time. I agree that the competition is not much better. But at least there's another option... Anybody tried OpenWRT on this router?
Aspirant

First, I'm having this problem too - and just as frustrated about NetGear's lack of attention (or seemingly ability to understand issues in general).

The question re: OpenWRT however has opened up a whole new world to me, and possibly even gives a glimpse of why NetGear seems so slow to respond. It turns out the "factory" firmware is an older version of OpenWRT!!! Makes one wonder if whoever did the original work to create it has left or something.

For your reading pleasure:

http://openwrt.org/

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700 which notes the factory firmware being based on OpenWRT

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24993
Aspirant

Temporary work around...

Under LAN Setup hit 'Apply' and then re-visit the Attached Devices page.
Aspirant

I was having the same problem, but with 1.0.6.98 firmware--no attached devices. What fixed it for me was to press the reset button at the bottom of the unit for about 10 seconds, until the power light flickered. After this reboot, I was able to see all my wired and wireless devices! Hope this helps.
Aspirant

gr8blueaseas wrote:
I was having the same problem, but with 1.0.6.98 firmware--no attached devices. What fixed it for me was to press the reset button at the bottom of the unit for about 10 seconds, until the power light flickered. After this reboot, I was able to see all my wired and wireless devices! Hope this helps.

That's not really a fix since it will just happen again over time. It's a shame Netgear doesn't look into such a common bug and fix it for good.
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors