× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700v4 constantly changing reserved addresses

VinceMa
Aspirant

WNDR3700v4 constantly changing reserved addresses

I am trying to set up a home surveillance system. The system has 4 cameras and a NVR. I spent all day setting up the system, I powered it down for the night. The next day, I found that some of the camera didn’t work. When I checked, their addresses had changed. Not only had they changed, they went from wireless to wired. At this point I started taking screen prints to keep track of the address changes. After some on line searching, I found that I needed to make the cameras and NVR’s address reserved. After doing this, applying and rebooting, I once again took a screen print of the address. It is still changing the address of my devices. If I shut the camera equipment down and power it back up again, some of the address change. Sometimes they are wireless and sometimes they are wired. Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: WNDR3700v4 constantly changing reserved addresses

@VinceMa wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sigh.

Please learn how to use the "Quote" button at the top of the messages that you reply to.

It is on the right-hand end of the row of labels for:

Rich Text HTML Preview -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote

Otherwise it is impossible to work out where the original message ends and your answer begins.

I'm new at posting anything on a message board or any other site (other than Facebook) for that matter, so pardon my ignorance. I will do better in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Vince, that wasn't intended for you but for the person who replied to your message.

The challenge you have is to work out how the cameras and the NVR handle IP addresses.

Do they come with a fixed IP address? Or is there somewhere in their own control panels (if they have one) that let you set them to use a particular IP address?

If the cameras do wifi and LAN, then there should be some way to control their behaviour.

If you can tell each device to always use a particular IP address, then you should be able to tell your WNDR3700v4 to keep its hands off those addresses. The control interface in the WNDR3700v4 should have an "Address Reservation" panel for that.

Another approach would be to go to the Address Reservation page, probably in

• Advanced
  • LAN Setup
  • Address Reservation
  • Add

See if you can tie each camera's MAC Address to a fixed IP Address.

If you look at the manual for your WNDR3700v4

WNDR3700v4 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

you can start at page 42.

If you tell people what the camera kit is, maybe someone here has grappled with them before and can pass on some tips.

Good luck, you may need it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

[I am trying to set up a home surveillance system. The system has 4 cameras and a NVR. I spent all day setting up the system, I powered it down for the night. The next day, I found that some of the camera didn’t work. When I checked, their addresses had changed. Not only had they changed, they went from wireless to wired. At this point I started taking screen prints to keep track of the address changes. After some on line searching, I found that I needed to make the cameras and NVR’s address reserved. After doing this, applying and rebooting, I once again took a screen print of the address. It is still changing the address of my devices. If I shut the camera equipment down and power it back up again, some of the address change. Sometimes they are wireless and sometimes they are wired. Can anyone help?]

Can you assign each camera and nvr to a static ip address in there setup on the wndr3700v4 change the dynamic address range and set the it to not incinding the static ip range that you are using for the camera's and nvr's . That's why a server has a static ip address it woulld change it's ip address if the router were allow to assign the address every the power went out. Most wireless printers are a static address so the computer can find the printer on the network.

Message 2 of 7
VinceMa
Aspirant

I will give that a try and see if things change.

Message 3 of 7

Sigh.

Please learn how to use the "Quote" button at the top of the messages that you reply to.

Rich Text HTML Preview -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote

Otherwise it is impossible to work out where the original message ends and your answer begins.

Message 4 of 7
VinceMa
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sigh.

I'm new at posting anything on a message board or any other site (other than Facebook) for that matter, so pardon my ignorance. I will do better in the future. Thanks for the advice.

So how about a little help with this problem? I do not keep my surveillance system on 24/7. So when I turn it on I need the equipment to have the same IP address. After some internet research I found that I should set the cameras and NVR in the Address Reservation table because that is what it is used for, to assign the same IP address to the same MAC address (devise). So that is what I did. So why is it that when I turn off the equipment (surveillance system) and then later, back on again, one or more of the cameras have a different IP address? And to add to that, some of the cameras show up as wired even though they were set up as wireless and are not connected to the system via a cable. Sometimes I will get entries into the Attached Devices with Device Name <Unknown> with an IP address and the same MAC address shows up in the Wireless Devises table with the same info (or visa versa)! This is really weird. The previous “helper” suggested that I set up or change a dynamic address range. Although I am quite technical, my expertise in Networking is sorely lacking and extremely limited. I tried to follow his suggestion in the User’s Manual but could not. I down loaded the latest WNDR3700v4 User’s Manual dated December 2012 replacing the old one I had dated November 2012. Some of the instructions, pictures and/or descriptions in both the manuals differ from what I see on the screen in front of me. Not wanting to screw things up and have a piece of equipment that I would have to do a factory reset on, (even though I have saved config files) sitting next to me and having to start all over again is not appealing to me. I decided not to make any changes that I was not familiar with or comfortable doing. Of course, there could be a problem with the router but I doubt it.

So my problem still exists, and little help here would really be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 7

@VinceMa wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sigh.

Vince, that wasn't intended for you but for the person who replied to your message.

The challenge you have is to work out how the cameras and the NVR handle IP addresses.

Do they come with a fixed IP address? Or is there somewhere in their own control panels (if they have one) that let you set them to use a particular IP address?

If the cameras do wifi and LAN, then there should be some way to control their behaviour.

If you can tell each device to always use a particular IP address, then you should be able to tell your WNDR3700v4 to keep its hands off those addresses. The control interface in the WNDR3700v4 should have an "Address Reservation" panel for that.

• Advanced
  • LAN Setup
  • Address Reservation
  • Add

If you tell people what the camera kit is, maybe someone here has grappled with them before and can pass on some tips.

Message 6 of 7
VinceMa
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@VinceMa wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Sigh.

• Advanced
  • LAN Setup
  • Address Reservation
  • Add

I realize that it’s been almost a week sine your reply and I wanted to give you an update. I had already started at page 42 and was confused and concerned as to why things weren't working the way they were supposed to work. That is why I turned to this site. 

I have a few devices that stay “on” 24/7 i.e., the router, printer and WIFI Extender to name a few. There are some devices that are plugged in like the TV that although might be turned off, might still maintain a connection with the router. That being said, I noticed that even after turning off my Extender it ALWAYS came back at the same IP address of 192.168.250 and so I began to wonder why. It was not in any list. The only thing I could surmise was that it (the router) knows that the MAC address belongs to an Extender and automatically assigns it an IP address starting above a certain address, in this case 250. Maybe there is a hidden list of Netgear MAC addresses somewhere in the software (Firmware). I was a coder at one point in time and that is most likely what I would have done to achieve the same results. Anyway, all of the devices below .040 most of the times attached with the same IP address but every now and again they would differ. I’m not sure why. So I decided to enter the NVR and cameras addresses in the Address Reservation table starting at IP address above 120. Since I have done this things have been very stable. I can turn the NVR and cameras on and off and they always come back on line with the same IP address. You would think that once a MAC address and IP address are entered in the table the router would automatically bypass any device if it had a different MAC address.

Oh well. At least they are working now. I just wanted to give you an update and close this discussion/topic. Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7