Virtuoso

WNDR3800 Firmware Update v1.0.0.40

You can now download WNDR3800 v1.0.0.40 firmware by logging into your router @ www.routerlogin.net. At the time I am typing this, the Netgear Download Center does not have this firmware posted:
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDR3800

At this time, there are no release notes for this official update. Here are links to the firmware from the FTP server:

United States Release

World Release

As always, it is highly recommended to perform the firmware update wired to the router and not over a wireless connection.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
    Aspirant

Re: WNDR3800 Firmware Update v1.0.0.40

Anyone with further news on tis release?!?
    Apprentice

I just tried to upload this to my WNDR3800 router and it failed with the following message:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.
    Aspirant

Problem with USB.
    New user of 3800. I had been using 2 USB devices(Garmin Oregon 300 and USB disk) for about 2 weeks with no issues on FW 1.0.0.38. Today, I updated to ver. 40 using "New FW available" button on the top of the web admin page. After that I connected my Garmin which appeared in web admin, but it could not be accessed via network. In addidion, web admin page was not available until I disconnected the device from USB port physically. I tried reset of the router - the same issue. After that I downgraded to FW .38 and USB worked fine. Unfortunetely, I had no time to complete more investigations.
    Novice

My WNDR3800 also prompted me to upgrade to v1.0.0.40 last night, which I duly did. It seems to have upgraded fine - however a couple of times last night my laptop kept dropping off the wireless, which very rarely happens usually.

So I will keep an eye on it for the next few days, and if dropouts continue; I will revert.

Strangely there is nothing on the Netgear Support site about this version for the WNDR3800:

http://support.netgear.com/product/wndr3800

As of today, it still lists v1.0.0.38 as the latest firmware.
    Virtuoso

WNDR3800 Firmware v1.0.0.40 Release Notes

After a few days Netgear finally answered my e-mail and has provided me with the release notes for the v1.0.0.40 WNDR3800 firmware:

Bug Fixes:
      Aspirant

Based on what I'm seeing, I suspect that there is more in v1.0.0.40 pertaining to USB Storage and Time Machine support than just "Support 3TB USB HDD which in MBR or GPT partition format." I am now able to successfully and repeatedly use Time Machine without the router corrupting the Time Machine partition. Previously, connecting a drive with an existing Time Machine backup, or rebooting the router with such a drive attached, would result in the Time Machine partition getting corrupted.

I am now able to reboot the router with a drive attached, or re-connect a "safely" disconnected drive, without such corruption occurring. The shares become available a few minutes after connecting the drive, and Time Machine is then able to successfully access the partition. This is with a 350+GB Time Machine backup on a 750GB HPS+ partition, on a 1TB WD My Passport SE drive.

I am curious what exactly has changed, and why this wasn't working previously, but frankly, I'm just happy it's finally working!
      Aspirant

Like anj747, after upgrading to v1.0.0.40 a couple days ago I have seen my wifi connections dropped. In my case it is dropping frequently enough that it is becoming unusable. The only solution I've found is to either reboot the router or toggle its wifi switch. At this point, I'm planning to downgrade back to the previous version of the firmware. Does anyone know an easy way to do that?

The symptoms I am seeing:

- Browser (internet) requests time out
      - My OS (Ubuntu) shows that it still has an active wifi connection to the WNDR3800
      - If I try to load the WNDR3800 admin page, that request times out also
      - So, run down to the basement, reboot the WNDR3800
      - Rinse and repeat
      Aspirant

FYI, for those wanting to downgrade, it's pretty easy. There is a link to the previous firmware (v1.0.0.38) here:

http://support.netgear.com/product/wndr3800

You just have to download the file, unzip it, and follow the directions in the included html page.
      Aspirant

Same problem here... after upgrading to 040, about every 2 hours, both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks freezes. The wireless network is fully available and all of my pc/smartphones/smart tv have a fully established connection, but it doesn't work. The ethernet side is always up Solution: restart the router. I revert back to 038
      Discussion Stats
      Top Contributors