Retired_Member

WNDR4000 as an access point?

I've been trying to setup the WNDR4000 as an access point and am having terrible luck. Every time I think I understand this thing, I get screwed. I have a Verizon FiOS cable modem set as 192.168.1.1. I want this thing to be 192.168.1.2 with DHCP DISABLED because I want the FiOS modem to be the DHCP server. When I set the LAN IP to 1.2, I can't log back into it.

I never had this much trouble with the 3700. May go back to that just for this very reason. As a matter of fact I noticed the latest 3700 firmware allowed it to be setup as an AP allowing the WAN port to be additional port.
Luminary

Re: WNDR4000 as an access point?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Should be 5min job
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Retired_Member

jmizoguchi wrote:

Should be 5min job

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.
Retired_Member

Ok, these are things I've done before. On the 3700, it was very easy. This 4000 is not working right.

I've even done the 30-30-30. I have an old laptop connected to the 4000. I set the laptop to 192.168.1.33, Subnet set to 255.255.255.0, gateway set to 192.168.1.1. I can't even get to the router now. I'll have to try the 30-30-30 a couple of times.

Wish I still had the 3700.
Retired_Member

Ok, some progress. One more 30-30-30 seemed to do the trick. I was able to set the LAN IP to 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP. Connected my FiOS modem via a standard port and I can connect to both now. Will see what happens when I setup wireless and passwords. One step at a time.
Luminary

30-30-30 is incorrect
20-20-20 is correct

10sec is plenty to reset the router. Reset and do not hook up to existing network and try again,,
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Retired_Member

jmizoguchi wrote:
30-30-30 is incorrect
20-20-20 is correct

10sec is plenty to reset the router. Reset and do not hook up to existing network and try again,,

That worked just great. So far, it's working as expected. Thanks for the help.
Luminary

Sounds great! Enjoy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Retired_Member

One other question.

I have been on a quest to get HD streaming over WiFi. It started with my WNDR3700/Linksys WET610N combination. I got speeds of about 8MBps between a Vaio connected to a 10/100/1000 switch which was then connected to the WET610N. I wanted to try to go faster, so I tried things like a Cisco E4200 and got no better. I even tried the WNHD3004 combination which was no better either. What gives? I'm guessing that the WET610 is a bottle-neck since its port is a 100Mps port as were the WNHD3004's.

Do you have any recommendations for a bridge? Should I use another WNDR4000? I think I would need something that had a 1Gbps port since all the N-types are supposedly faster than 100Mbps.
Luminary

repeating will loose half the performance so using such as extender will be good. Unit like wn2000rpt.

also 100 or 1000 switch will any difference when you are streaming on internet less than 100Mbps internet.

if you referring to lan to lan streaming then wired to wifi difference would be latency,half duplex. so it make some streaming issues where you will do wired to wired lan sharing
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Retired_Member

I was finally able to get Blu-Ray streaming over WiFi. Posted it on AVS forum here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339781

I'm thinking of getting another 4000 and using it as a bridge. I wanted to verify that I can setup my 4000 as a bridge. The reason I want to do this is because at 5Ghz, I'm supposed to get N450. I know that is two way speed and that one way is 225 with approx 33% overhead would give me 150Mbps. But that is a 50% increase in bandwidth over N300.
Luminary

try using WHDNE111 instead and not to repeat. repeat are half the performance so I would not recommend
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Retired_Member

jmizoguchi wrote:
try using WHDNE111 instead and not to repeat. repeat are half the performance so I would not recommend

I'm not sure about this. I downloaded the user manual. The Ethernet port is 10/100, so I could do no better than 100Mbps. That's why whatever bridge you get should have a 1Gbps port in case you can actually get faster than 100Mbps over WiFi. That's what I'm pretty sure is happening with the Dlink and that's why I'm thinking of the WNDR4000. It's 5GHz is capable of 450Mbps vs 300Mpbs for the Dlink, and since I have a 4000 for my AP I should get slightly better speeds. That's why I need to know if the 4000 can really be a bridge.
Virtuoso

You should really consider throughput rather than link rates because throughput is typically significantly lower than the link rate.
Retired_Member

WNDR4000 and another WNDR4000 used as a WIRED access point. Very happy performance. Streaming 1080 stuff at 300 mb on either ap or router. Smiley Very Happy
Retired_Member

searay wrote:
WNDR4000 and another WNDR4000 used as a WIRED access point. Very happy performance. Streaming 1080 stuff at 300 mb on either ap or router. Smiley Very Happy
I should clarify this. I mean according to my wifi card I am connecting @ 300mb while streaming.:eek:
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:

Should be 5min job

Well, I just tried to follow the instructions there for my just-arrived WNDR4000 and much to my confusion, I get a "404 Not Found" when I try to get to http://www.routerlogin.com/CA_HiddenPage.htm .

All I want to do is use this thing as an access point, since I already have a fully-functioning router (that does _way_ more than the silly little router function in the WNDR4000 can possibly do). Naturally there's nada in the user manual (sigh).

Another thing that confuses me a tad (besides the missing page), is that the instructions imply that you can't assign the LAN address via DHCP. Is this true? And what is "Use Auto IP" for on the LAN Setup config page? I can obviously assign a static IP but I hate to do that because it unnecessarily complicates the network configuration and it's complicated enough as it is (You Don't Want To Know, believe me).

Finally, the instructions conclude with:
DHCP configuration may not work reliably because the wireless router/access point may not correctly relay DHCP information from the router. Workaround: Use static IPs on the wireless PCs.
WTF? Has anyone run into this? If this is true, it makes this thing a complete non-starter for me; I rely on DHCP for everything (see above re: "complicated network configuration").

So, can anyone clear up my confusion?
Luminary

In that case you have to setup the router behind existing router and setup first then change accordingly
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
In that case you have to setup the router behind existing router and setup first then change accordingly

If you're trying to answer my questions, I'm sorry but you've left me just as confused as ever. (I do know to set up the WNDR4000 physically as well as all the stuff about DHCP, et al, it's just the WNDR4000-specific stuff I asked about that's confusing me.)
Luminary

fmayhar wrote:
If you're trying to answer my questions, I'm sorry but you've left me just as confused as ever. (I do know to set up the WNDR4000 physically as well as all the stuff about DHCP, et al, it's just the WNDR4000-specific stuff I asked about that's confusing me.)

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/how_to_access_point.pdf
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

One more data point for WNDR4000 as an access point.

In http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=356444&postcount=4 I see another bit of information, re "auto ip."

auto ip acting as DHCP client, if there is no DHCP server available, your router will automatically assign IP as 169.254.x.x

This feature best working if you have a router/DHCP in place and you want your WNDR4000 act as an AP.

This seems to mean that to assign the LAN IP address via DHCP, turn on "Use Auto IP" on the LAN Setup page. I'll be trying that soon.
Retired_Member

Re: One more data point for WNDR4000 as an access point.

Once auto IP is checked and router is rebooted connect AP to main router via any lan port. You then setup lan IP reserve I used 192.168.0.99 reboot boot then access AP via 192.168.0.99 It works perfect.

You need to use different channels 1,6 0r 11 on 2.4 also be sure to not overlap on the 5g too. SSID's are the same for each band but different one's between bands WPA2 passphrases need to be the same on each band too. I can roam the house seemlessly. I have three 4000's running and I feel like that Verizon commercial about rueling the air
Retired_Member

Re: One more data point for WNDR4000 as an access point.

Disabled auto ip function....For some reason it gave this AP's IP address as the gateway causing the clients loss of internet when they roamed to and connect via this AP. I also did some more testing and found when using same channels on 5ghz the the connection rate slowed and on 2.4 did see any difference while staying at 54mhz.
Novice

I am having similar problems:

I have a combined wireless router/modem at one end of the house and am hard-wired to my new WNDR4000 at the other end, the intention being to use the WNDR4000 as an access point to extend my wifi range and attach a NAS device.

The router/modem (a Thomson TG585v7) is the DHCP server and has a DHCP pool range of 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 and Gateway address of 192.168.1.254.

If I connect a LAN port on the modem to the WAN port on the WNDR4000, I can get internet access through the WNDR4000 using either wire or wifi, but can't access other network devices (network printer, shared drives on other computers) connected directly to the modem/router. In this configuration the WNDR4000 gives itself an IP address of 10.0.0.1.

From information here and elsewhere I believe I need to disable DHCP on the WNDR4000 and manually allocate an IP outside the pool range of the modem router, then connect the WNDR4000 to the modem router using a LAN (not the WAN) port.

The problem I have is that when I disable the DHCP server and enter an IP address manually (between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.63), I can no longer connect my computer to the WNDR4000 as soon as the new settings are applied (with the hard wire connection to the modem router disconnected). Is that because my Mac computer is set up to receive its IP address by DHCP. I have tried manually entering an IP address within the Mac's network preferences but haven't been able to make this work. What address should I be putting in? Alternatively am I supposed to hard wire connect the modem router at this point to allow it to allocate an address to the Mac through the WNDR4000?

Any help or advice appreciated!

Mark
Luminary

As long you the same concept as this

You should able to use 4000 as an access point and regardless of Mac or PC and any other wifi devices should work

Getting 10.0 ip is normal because you can NOT have s ame LAN subnet for WAN and LAN side. Router automatically change that to prevent the conflict
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Discussion Stats
  • 67 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Top Contributors