× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR4300 Wireless Speed issues

sosjohn
Aspirant

WNDR4300 Wireless Speed issues

I get better than 100Mbps wired directly to the router via ethernet cable.  But wireless is under 20Mbps.  I am direct line of site to the router, about 30 feet away.  Running Win 10.  No my laptop (HP Envy) is NOT able to use 5G, so does 5G really make that much of a difference?  I also tried changing channels, but i didnt feel iike buying the channel analyzer app.  I live in a condo with neighbors and several other wifi networks in range. Just to make sure the problem is not my heavy usage of the router I powered off all of my other devices (ipad, cell phone, music apeaker), still getting under 20Mbps.  

I cant upgrade the network adaptor on my laptop, so Im stuck with 2.4G.  Ipad does successfully get the 5G connection, so i know the 5g works on this router, just not with my laptop.   Incidentally the ipad gets 42Mbps via 5G, double what the laptop gets via 2.4G, but still less than half of what the connection is. 

Any ideas??

Model: WNDR4300|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

@sosjohn wrote:

Both HP and an independent PC repair guy told me the Wireless adaptor cant be replaced, so i am stuck with 2.4G. 

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  What they may be referring to is that you can't open up the computer, remove the built-in wireless adapter and replace it with a different one in the same, internal slot.  That is often true.  But you should be able to use a Wireless adapter plugged into a USB port.

The Netgear WNDR 4300 router only has access to channels 1 -11 in 2.4G.  According to wifi meter, channels 12-14 are stronger.

I don't know where you are located, but 12-14 cannot be used in the United States.  Other countries may permit 12-14 to be used.  If you are in one of those countries, then try changing the region setting in the WNDR4300.  You'll find it under the Wireless settings.

SO is the bottom line that this router is not the best for 2.4G, when I am receiving 100+Mbps from the modem?

Not necessarily.  If 2.4 GHz around you is congested, then no router can change that.  Get a dual-band USB wireless adapter and switch to 5 GHz.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Under the right conditions, 5 GHz can really make a big difference.  In a condo, 2.4 GHz is going to be crowded, so Wi-Fi performance is very likely to be terrible.  Why can't you upgrade the network adapter on your laptop?  A dual band USB 802.11n adapter is around $15 to $20.

If you really can't your laptop to 5 GHz, then all you can do is try different channels until you get the best performance.

Message 2 of 5
sosjohn
Aspirant

Both HP and an independent PC repair guy told me the Wireless adaptor cant be replaced, so i am stuck with 2.4G.  The Netgear WNDR 4300 router only has access to channels 1 -11 in 2.4G.  According to wifi meter, channels 12-14 are stronger.  SO is the bottom line that this router is not the best for 2.4G, when I am receiving 100+Mbps from the modem?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@sosjohn wrote:

Both HP and an independent PC repair guy told me the Wireless adaptor cant be replaced, so i am stuck with 2.4G. 

I'm pretty sure that's not true.  What they may be referring to is that you can't open up the computer, remove the built-in wireless adapter and replace it with a different one in the same, internal slot.  That is often true.  But you should be able to use a Wireless adapter plugged into a USB port.

The Netgear WNDR 4300 router only has access to channels 1 -11 in 2.4G.  According to wifi meter, channels 12-14 are stronger.

I don't know where you are located, but 12-14 cannot be used in the United States.  Other countries may permit 12-14 to be used.  If you are in one of those countries, then try changing the region setting in the WNDR4300.  You'll find it under the Wireless settings.

SO is the bottom line that this router is not the best for 2.4G, when I am receiving 100+Mbps from the modem?

Not necessarily.  If 2.4 GHz around you is congested, then no router can change that.  Get a dual-band USB wireless adapter and switch to 5 GHz.

Message 4 of 5
sosjohn
Aspirant

THANK YOU.  The USB Adaptor tripled the speed to 55.  Not 100, but way better than I had.  $23 part (including same day shipping). 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7