My new WNDR4300 router keeps dropping internet connection at least once a day. Sometimes 3 times a day. It does have wilreless signals, yet the computer would show the yellow exclamation mark in the signal bars. I have to power down the router and reboot it in order to restore the Internect connection. In the Dashboard, I set "Dynamically acquire address" for both IP and DNS server. I also set "Auto" for channel selection for 2.4 khz. Whatelse do I have to do make ths darn thing more stable. It is killing me that I have to reboot it after my wife scream at me.:mad:
The router still drops connection once a day. I have to press the power button to power it off and on in order to restore the connection. The ISP and DNS are all set to static with static values. My MTU is set to 1500. The online help says:
The normal MTU (Maximum Transmit Unit) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 Bytes, 1492 Bytes for PPPoE connections, or 1436 for PPTP connections. For some ISPs you may need to reduce the MTU. But this is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure it is necessary for your ISP connection
So I am a bit hesitant to change it. I am thinking there maybe a conflict with my cable modem which is a UBee from TimeWarner cable. It has Wi-Fi also. And its MTU is to default. Should I reduce the MTU on the router?
Sabretooth, Thanks for the link. Guess what... my best MTU size is 1272. After adding 28 to it, it equals to 1300. Should I configure that number to my WNDR4300 router? How about the UBee cable modem/router from TimeWarner? currenty it is set as default. Should I set it to be1300 also? Thanks again for the help!
After I changed the MTU size to 1300 in the router, it was running well for abut 20 hours and then it froze up again. Even with all lights that were supposed to be on were on, it was just totally dead. I could not even use the Ginie to get into it. That was the last straw. I gave up. I brought it back to Fry's and got a WNDR5400. On this new router, I only configured the static ISP and DNS servers and changed the SSID ID and password. I did not bother to chage the MTU for now. It seems be running fine so far.
Go figure. I guess the WND4300 I got was just a defective...
Replacement of WNDR4300 with WNDR4500 update: It has been over a week and the WNDR4500 is still going strong. It has never dropped the connection. I did not change MTU size in the system. And I did change the ISP and DNS addresses to static.
It is obvious that the WNDR4300 I purchased a month ago was a botched product.
WNDR4000 on most recent firmware for that device .90 has the same issue - lost internet connection due to the Routers inability to correctly work as a DNS proxy. I can actually via a wireshark trace see that the Router will not respond to DNS Requests on Port 53 being directed to it. Changed my Client Devices to use 184.108.40.206 instead of what DHCP from the router normally hands out, which is the Routers IP address at 10.10.10.1 and everything works.
I bet the 4300 has the same issue.
Next time anyone gets a Yellow Triangle - go to the command line (CMD) on a windows PC run NSLOOKUP it should connect you to your router.
From the NSLOOKUP prompt query an address say www.google.com and it will time out.
Enter SERVER 220.127.116.11 at the NSLOOKUP prompt and run the query again and you'll get a response. Essentially bypassing the router - it's connected to the internet, it's the fact that it's listener service for port 53 won't respond that your client believes it has no access to the internet.
Even tried to use Public DNS servers instead of My ISP's which the Router picks up from DHCP to Comcast and it still fails.
Not sure what gives, this being connected to a Netgear CMD31T cable modem as well. I'm not Double Nat'd that's for sure.
Tried the .88 version of the firmware for the WNDR4300 and it's the same issue.
Seen most stable is .66 but that's 5 versions behind what is current. Crazy!