Initial Contributor

WNDR4500 - Corrupted firmware

[ Edited ]

My WNDR4500 has had corrupted firmware twice in the last month. I've had no power outages or any obvious reason for this to occur. (And of course I lost my installation CD) I was able to manually reinstall the firmware, but it's kind of a pain. Anyone have any guesses on why this might be happening? I also wish I could download the firmware recovery tool from Netgear, but it's not available...TIA

Regular Contributor

Re: WNDR4500 - Corrupted firmware

contact support for your issues at my.netgear.com

you probably either downloaded corrupted firmware is likely over actual firmware is corrupted
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Occasional Contributor

this site worked wonders for me after i got my product with a blinking green light.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18989/kw/wndr4500%20corrupted%20firmware%20recovery%20...
Initial Contributor

i followed that step by step but after the eneter cmd into the start menu thats where i get lost cause ill put cd then hit enter and i cant navigate through anything to find the firmware file it needs more detail way more
Occasional Contributor

ok. to make it simple you should extract the rar file with the firmware updat in it and just put it in your C: folder. So when you go into CMD
you can find it easier. now when you open it...it sill say c:windows/system32. type CD.. and hit enter....now it will say C:windows. Type CD.. and hit enter again and you should be at the root menu of C: At this point type DIR to pull up the list of whats on the root directory. you should see your folder. For example....Mine was WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36. So when you go to enter you folder type CD WNDR4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36 (type yours if different) and hit enter. Now you will be in the folder you created. and hit DIR again to see the file. FYI..don't change the firmware file name at all when you put it in the folder on your C drive. next you will see C: (yourfoldername) type tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put wndr4500-v1.0.1.18_1.0.36.chk and hit enter (yes the spaces are supposed to be there). it will send it to the router....now watch your lights and don't do anything until the power light turns solid green. your wireless lights will probably blink blue before that tho. When the power light is solid green....then unplug the power, count to 10, plug it back in and after 2 min u should have all the lights the way they used to be. I hope this helps!

Also if it says "tftp" is invalid or something along those lines. then go into start, in the search bar type "programs and features" and then click "turn windows features on or off" and check the TFTP client to enable it. then try the command under CMD again and you should be golden Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

izaacloren wrote:
i followed that step by step but after the eneter cmd into the start menu thats where i get lost cause ill put cd then hit enter and i cant navigate through anything to find the firmware file it needs more detail way more

see router reset on my sig below and click on router upgrades.

you do not have to use command line which are related to TFTP method. for most user just need to follow via router GUI to uploaded
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Occasional Contributor

when the power light blinks. Sometimes it disables the access to the GUI for doing an upgrade. TFTP is the only way to fix it if that is the case. I was on the phone with NG tech support for 2 hours trying to resovle that issue when I first got my router, and they didn't know how to do anything aside from having me return my product for exchange. This method that I posted took 5minutes and workded flawlessly when my GUI was unobtainable. The internet is much better then tech support these days.
N/A

This happened to me today too. I had upgraded to v1.0.1.18_1.0.36 a few weeks back through the router GUI. Everything had been working just fine. Today we had a thunderstorm and lost power for about an hour (no lightning strikes anywhere in audible distance when the power went out). When power came back, to make a long story short, the power light was blinking green indicating corrupted firmware. Luckily, my VoIP adapter can act as a router too, so I put that in as the primary and was able to get online to look for help here. The tftp dance with the firmware image fixed it.

So the big question is, why did this happen? Is this normal for Netgear routers? I've only had my WNDR4500 since May. I had Linksys routers for more than 10 years and they never "corrupted themselves" when the power went out. This was a huge pain for me. I work at home, so I lost a few hours in addition to the power outage trying to recover.
Occasional Contributor

Yes. Ppl need to use power surge protection or apc power bricks to avoid anythng from corrupting. But yes. Netgear is notorious for corrupted hardware after an outage if not plugged into proper protection.
Regular Contributor

Surge strips will not help an issues .

Backup UPS is need to prolong the devices and prevent from an issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Discussion Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Top Contributors