Aspirant

WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

Hey there, got my new 4500 around a month ago. last 2 weeks, my gf and I have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5 . . 2 totally different machines obviously with the same problem.

Its not the cable modem . . whocih is a DocSis3.0 Motorola.

The only thing that fixes it is powering down the 4500 from the power button on the back under the power cord for 3 seconds (or more) and rebooting it.

Then the internet reconnects right away.

Anyone else experience this? I know its not anything but the router since that is the only thing that changed and it doesnt do it when I swap in my old WNR3500.

Thanks, hopefully it gets fixed in the next firmware. At the moment I am rockin the new one (.7~) . . the problem happened before and after this firmware.
Novice

Re: WNDR4500 loses WAN connection

This router is awful at the moment fails to keep ssid settings, authenticate, looses wifi, im fed up, waiting for.netgear to phone or it goesback
Aspirant

Hi - I have two PC's and a Unix workstation hooked up to the LAN (1 GB wired) and I have never experienced a drop. I use one of these PC's constantly throughout the day.

Via wireless, I have had periodic 5 GHz drops (maybe once every few days).

Have you done factory resets, etc?

R
Luminary

have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5

does any drops happens if the PC is not in standby/sleep when you walk away from the PC?

if so check power management of the network adapter on on PC and make sure they are always wake.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

I just got my WNDR 4500 two day ago and my connection to the internet drops ever 30 minutes of inactivity. I have firmware V1.0.0.70_1.0.18 that was installed during setup. I also did a restore to factory defaults like the update said. I wanted to know if a setting needs to be changed or is this a firmware bug. Getting ready to take this back.
Aspirant

Yeah mine sill does it. It is *not* a LAN dropout .. i.e. on either the LION or the Win7x64 I can still logon to the 4500.

In fact, on my Win7 machine I have Netgear Genie installed. When the WAN drops out, the Win7 LAN icon gets a yellow triangle with a (!) in it, and the Netgear Genie tray icon goes RED (ie no WAN).

I just double clicked the Red Genie to launch it, and its own software (Genie) realized there was a problem. Then it said 'Click here to fix it'. Its solution was to reboot the device (4500). It took longer than me reaching my finger to the power button lolol.

So yeah its an odd WAN dropout, not a client operating system setting.
Aspirant

I returned the WNDR4500 and got a "Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2)". This router is working great so far.
Novice

Snoopytime, are you using wired connections or wireless?

Snoopytime wrote:
Hey there, got my new 4500 around a month ago. last 2 weeks, my gf and I have noticed when around 30minutes of inactivity goes by, we return to our PC and the Internet is 'down'. Its not the computers, mines a Win7 x64 i7 SP1 etc, hers is a Lion i5 . . 2 totally different machines obviously with the same problem.

Its not the cable modem . . whocih is a DocSis3.0 Motorola.

The only thing that fixes it is powering down the 4500 from the power button on the back under the power cord for 3 seconds (or more) and rebooting it.

Then the internet reconnects right away.

Anyone else experience this? I know its not anything but the router since that is the only thing that changed and it doesnt do it when I swap in my old WNR3500.

Thanks, hopefully it gets fixed in the next firmware. At the moment I am rockin the new one (.7~) . . the problem happened before and after this firmware.
Aspirant

fwiw i'm having the problem with both wired and wireless. having to reboot 2-3x/day.
Aspirant

Hi there, I am having the problem with wired (ethernet) . . good new CAT6 short cables (6foot) straight from the machines into the 4500.

On a side note, last night I disabled "Disable IGMP Proxying" under the WAN SETUP page and I havent had the loss of connection yet in 24 hours.

I was looking for any obscure or proprietary oddball setting that could be kooking out a regular guy situation such as my own.

If you have the problem try unchecking that setting, it could be just a coiincidence, but so far it appears to help.
Novice

what is IGMP Proxying?

Snoopytime wrote:
Hi there, I am having the problem with wired (ethernet) . . good new CAT6 short cables (6foot) straight from the machines into the 4500.

On a side note, last night I disabled "Disable IGMP Proxying" under the WAN SETUP page and I havent had the loss of connection yet in 24 hours.

I was looking for any obscure or proprietary oddball setting that could be kooking out a regular guy situation such as my own.

If you have the problem try unchecking that setting, it could be just a coiincidence, but so far it appears to help.
Aspirant

Here is the 'Help Function' description (built in to the router WNDR4500) :

Disable IGMP Proxying

The IGMP Proxying function lets a LAN PC to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. You can click this check box to disable the function if you do not need it.

------------------------------------------------

No idea why this ought to affect anything, its the only thing I never heard of on the WAN setup page so I changed its status and the WAN dropout seems to have been resolved . . so far 48 hours no dropout since I unchecked it.
Novice

this seems like something you need, so it makes sense to uncheck it, since unchecking it means its enabled.

Snoopytime wrote:
Here is the 'Help Function' description (built in to the router WNDR4500) :

Disable IGMP Proxying

The IGMP Proxying function lets a LAN PC to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. You can click this check box to disable the function if you do not need it.

------------------------------------------------

No idea why this ought to affect anything, its the only thing I never heard of on the WAN setup page so I changed its status and the WAN dropout seems to have been resolved . . so far 48 hours no dropout since I unchecked it.
Aspirant

Yeah totally, i cant imagine why you would want it disabled (checked) anyway, so I am coming up on 72 hours of uninterupted WAN\internet so far.

I dont know if Netgear ever reads this stuff, *BUT* if you do Netgear, have firmware engineers investigate the logic behind IGMP disable, as it appears to drop the regular WAN.
Aspirant

I have unchecked mine too in hopes of resolving this problem. It's been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now. Thanks Snoopytime Smiley Happy
Virtuoso

Some people don’t want their router to respond to IGMP messages so the option is there to disable it, however some ISPs use IGMP as a ‘keep alive’ check in which case it needs to be enabled.
Aspirant

I have been experiencing the same exact problem for almost 3 weeks now. Purchased brand new, latest rom up to date, losing wireless and wired. Basicaly the router is losing DHCP from the cable modem. I have valid network addressing but when I launch a browser, the web failes due to cant resolve address. Once I run ipconfig/release - ipconfig /renew, the Netgear Genie picks up on that DHCP has failed and the Genie icon goes red. I then have to restore my connection of the router to the cable modem via a reboot by the Genie. I have opene a ticket with Netgear support - sent screen prints and discription - waiting on return reply to see where this is going to go. I will update this post if or when this issue gets resolved.
Aspirant

Solid MM - thanks! Thats the exact problem, let us know hwat you hear!
Aspirant

Request the latest beta firmware from the Netgear service tech. I put in a service ticket with Netgear, and they ended up providing me a link to a .73 beta firmware that solved my disconnect issues.
Aspirant

dsring wrote:
Request the latest beta firmware from the Netgear service tech. I put in a service ticket with Netgear, and they ended up providing me a link to a .73 beta firmware that solved my disconnect issues.

They sent me a link, but it doesn't work LOL.. send a nother request in.
Aspirant

how about . . someone who has a working link . . POSTS IT HERE!@?!?!??!?! lolol Merry Christmas!
Luminary

Snoopytime wrote:
how about . . someone who has a working link . . POSTS IT HERE!@?!?!??!?! lolol Merry Christmas!

any BETA firmware can NOT be posted at ANYTIME.

Beta firmware is not for PUBLIC must be given by the support for each user + you are sign or agree NOT to share those links.

if you need a beta firmware then contact support yourself via my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Aspirant

Just got the .73 firmware, and set everything back (Disable IGMP Proxying) and putting the dns back to getting from ISP.. Let see what happends in a few days.. If I loose Wan connection to the internet and the DNS entries get erased, it will back to the store on the 30th.. The only other thing that doesn't work is that on my Linksys E3000 use to pass-thru the Connection-specific DNS Suffix from the ISP to my machines.. the Netgear doesn't..
Aspirant

whitesnake1 wrote:
Just got the .73 firmware, and set everything back (Disable IGMP Proxying) and putting the dns back to getting from ISP.. Let see what happends in a few days.. If I loose Wan connection to the internet and the DNS entries get erased, it will back to the store on the 30th.. The only other thing that doesn't work is that on my Linksys E3000 use to pass-thru the Connection-specific DNS Suffix from the ISP to my machines.. the Netgear doesn't..

Please keep us up to date if this new firmware really works. I am personally tired of going back and forth with Netgear about this. They made it seem like I was the only one having problems with the DHCP/DNS.

And Jmizoguchi, I hear what you are saying about the 'letter of the law' with respect to beta firmware, but it frustrates me greatly that we have to jump through endless hoops just get our $200 router to perform BASIC networking tasks (DHCP). Mine was purchased in late October so I can't get a refund from the vendor and Netgear hasn't even acknowledged this 'glitch/feature'. If a person is having these issues and took the time to post their experiences, then they SHOULD be able to try the beta firmware no matter where it came from...If Netgear is so worried about this beta-release protocol then maybe they should concentrate on delivering a working product.

Anyway, please give feedback on if this latest firmware might be the silver bullet many of us are looking for.
Luminary

And Jmizoguchi, I hear what you are saying about the 'letter of the law' with respect to beta firmware, but it frustrates me greatly that we have to jump through endless hoops just get our $200 router to perform BASIC networking tasks (DHCP). Mine was purchased in late October so I can't get a refund from the vendor and Netgear hasn't even acknowledged this 'glitch/feature'. If a person is having these issues and took the time to post their experiences, then they SHOULD be able to try the beta firmware no matter where it came from...If Netgear is so worried about this beta-release protocol then maybe they should concentrate on delivering a working product.

unfortunately only way to deal with issues is to have each user to contact support instead than complain here in forum as only source. Forum are still based on user to user basis as netgear support visit to oversees.

Netgear do release "public beta firmware" and "beta firmware" so if not downloadable from support.netgear.com (product support page) then you just have to contact directly and ask for those betat firmware.

I don't think you could find one product without flaw during the production and support period. Even enterprise products has firmware upgrades and which does cost more than $200.

Wish I could give you a positive help but what it is ... what it is....
Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Top Contributors