× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR5400v2 wireless and wired don't talk to each other

mfanetgear
Aspirant

WNDR5400v2 wireless and wired don't talk to each other

I had a mostly-wired network with several shared devices and they've been chatting amongst themselves for several years. Yesterday I moved one Windows 10 PC to a non-wired part of the house, and used a wireless adapter to connect it. Everything works as expected, except that it no longer recognizes anything else on the network, and vice-versa. Both wired and wireless are on the same subnet. I've always suspected wireless and wired acted as distinct networks, but my previous thread didn't get anywhere. This situation is much more of a smoking gun, so I'm trying again.

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mfanetgear
Aspirant

Re: WNDR5400v2 wireless and wired don't talk to each other

@antinode -

I took some time to scratch beneath the surface and quickly found that basic connectivity was OK, but that Network Discovery had been turned off. Turned it back on, and things are working again. Some old problems (e.g., sharing with Linux machines) still exist, but workarounds still work around OK.

My previous thread complained that a cellphone file-sharing app ("File Transfer Pro" on a Galaxy 6) would only connect to a PC on the same router interface; i.e., 4G or 5G wireless-to-wired or 5G-to-4G wireless did not connect. I eventually gave up on that one and always connected the cellphone via a USB cable if I needed to transfer files.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

The wired and wireless on the same router are all on the same network. I would suspect a network setting in Win10.

Message 2 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] Yesterday I moved one Windows 10 PC to a non-wired part of the
> house, and used a wireless adapter to connect it. Everything works as
> expected, except that it no longer recognizes anything else on the
> network, and vice-versa. [...]

What, exactly, does "recognize" mean to you?  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

Changing the network adapter would cause Windows to view the
connection as a new/different "Network", which might default to being a
"Public" rather than a "Private" "Network", which could affect file
sharing.

> [...] I've always suspected wireless and wired acted as distinct
> networks, but my previous thread didn't get anywhere. [...]

Which "my previous thread"?  Generally, if devices are on the same
subnet, then they're connected.  The router can impose additional
firewall-like restrictions, typically for devices which connect using a
guest network, but I'd guess that that wouldn't apply in your case.

> [...] This situation is much more of a smoking gun, [...]

If the grips are burning, then the smoke may not mean that the gun

was fired.

Message 3 of 6
mfanetgear
Aspirant

I would, too, but the problems with W10 networking are legion. In this case, though, things were working fine until I unplugged the Cat5 cable and plugged in the WiFi adapter.

Message 4 of 6
mfanetgear
Aspirant

@antinode -

I took some time to scratch beneath the surface and quickly found that basic connectivity was OK, but that Network Discovery had been turned off. Turned it back on, and things are working again. Some old problems (e.g., sharing with Linux machines) still exist, but workarounds still work around OK.

My previous thread complained that a cellphone file-sharing app ("File Transfer Pro" on a Galaxy 6) would only connect to a PC on the same router interface; i.e., 4G or 5G wireless-to-wired or 5G-to-4G wireless did not connect. I eventually gave up on that one and always connected the cellphone via a USB cable if I needed to transfer files.

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Reads to me like some Multicast is not passed between the LAN, the 2.4G, and the 5G radio interfaces.

The only thing that does not fit in to this suspicion is the mentioned Linux connection problems, however this information more than vague.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7