× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

extender for wndr330 vs verizon extender vs Cox Cable extender

OldBob
Luminary

extender for wndr330 vs verizon extender vs Cox Cable extender

Please be patient with my question as I am trying to understand ..on my ipad I sometimes loose connection to the wifi and if several guests are connecting their Iphones to my wifi they too experience dropping of connection.  Now I have an iphone 7 that gets only 1-2 bars and Verizon want me to buy a signal extender to boost my wifi signal that they say will allow the 4g LTE to be better for phone calls.  I also am experiencing a dropping of wifi on the Iphone 7 while playing a game too.   That being said, my confusion is if an extender going to extend my wifi signal or my verizon signal or both?  Verizon said the verizon signal goes thru the wifi and that is what is confusing me.  Is there a difference between an extender from Verizon or one from Staples or my wifi Cox Cable or one from Netgear?  OR do I just need a new stronger router.  My modem is the latest from Cox Cable. Thank you for anyone who can help me understand.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
OldBob
Luminary

Re: extender for wndr330 vs verizon extender vs Cox Cable extender

So I bought a plug in Netgear extender and have not dropped at all..so maybe my WNDR330 is ok.  Can you tell me what the advantage would be to get a more modern (and which one please) Netgear Modem? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@OldBob wrote:

Now I have an iphone 7 that gets only 1-2 bars and Verizon want me to buy a signal extender to boost my wifi signal that they say will allow the 4g LTE to be better for phone calls.  

I am thinking they mean this: http://s7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Samsung/4glte-network-ext/samsung-4g-lte-networ...

That basically puts a small cell tower in your house (extending LTE).  It connects to your home router via ethernet, and sends your cell phone traffic over your home internet connection.  It has nothing to do with wifi.

Message 2 of 7
OldBob
Luminary

Thank You..So if I am dropping wifi on the phone and ipad do I need a stronger/better router or an extender for the router?  My house is only 40 feet long ranch but we do have thick walls.  If so, what model would you reco.

Message 3 of 7
OldBob
Luminary

So I bought a plug in Netgear extender and have not dropped at all..so maybe my WNDR330 is ok.  Can you tell me what the advantage would be to get a more modern (and which one please) Netgear Modem? 

Message 4 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Getting a new modem or router? 

If it's a router, you'll most likely take advantage of the latest speed advertised for as long as you match it with the compatible wireless adapter. 

Message 5 of 7
OldBob
Luminary

I am sorry I used the wrong word  I meant router not modem..I do have the latest modem.  With the plug in Netgear extender I have not dropped my wifi connection at all but I was wondering what benefits I would get to upgrade the Router and not use the extender or would I probably still need the extender?  What Netgear Router would you recco in place of my existing WNDR 3300 dual band?

Message 6 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If everything is working for you right now then I suggest that you leave it as it is.

Again, upgrading routers may require upgrading all your wireless devices to take advantage of the advertised speed. 

We have a lot of different routers to choose from. 

You may start looking at this site for details. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7