× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmwarer wont update

mrbones
Aspirant

firmwarer wont update

Hey folks got a question from a non literate computer person. So i got an email from netgear saying my router needs a firmware update for security reason. So i followed the link to their page and clinked the link to the router log in entered my password it would not accept it tried a few times no luck. Went to netgear download page entered my router model found the update wrote down the instructions to the letter followed them completely it would download a file that i had to extract however the hell you do that but everytime i tried to open it said it was corrupt and didnt work. Tried like ten times gave up. Ran mcafee scan on whole system to make sure no virus its all fine. Router is like a year and half old out of warranty and support netgear wants me to pay for support wont do that. Router still works. Went to my genie on desktop signed in in the setting wnet to update it just spins that little wheel thing and then says cant get firmware. Turned it off unplugged tivo stuff tried again nothing. Searched the web got so much stuff to try and i am not hiring the witchdoctor to come cast a update spell. Sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much ifo as possible. Should i just leave it? Dont think i need a new one yet. How long do router last? I have no clue about all the admin stuff i know how to surf the web and minor stuff. Thanks for any help.

Model: WNDR4500v3|N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ROUTER
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: firmwarer wont update

> When i downloaded the file from netgear i would double click and every
> time it said the file was corrupt and would not open.

Did "the file from netgear" have a name?  Was it a ".zip" archive?

Zip archives have important data near the end of the archive.  If the
file gets truncated during a file transfer, then you can get some kind
of corrupt-archive error message because those important data are
missing.  The size of WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip (as I fetched it) is
14286683 bytes, and the file I got was undamaged:

pro3$ unzip -t WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip
Archive:  WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip
    testing: WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.img   OK
    testing: WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48_Release_Notes.html   OK
No errors detected in compressed data of WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@mrbones wrote:

So i followed the link to their page and clinked the link to the router log in entered my password it would not accept it tried a few times no luck.

Start with this:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The file you download is a zipped file. This is a standard comprehension package. Windows and iOS can handle zipped files without any problems.

Either right click or double click the file and it should reveal its contents.

You need to sort out both issues: the login one and the "unpack" one.

Remember the password for the router's control is not the same as the wifi password. The defaults for both are on the back of the hardware.

If you are connecting to the router by wifi, do that before you try to login to the browser interface.

Message 2 of 6
mrbones
Aspirant

Thanks for the response michael. When i downloaded the file from netgear i would double click and every time it said the file was corrupt and would not open. When i tried logging in i tried the password on the back which is the one i use to connect my computer and iphone and i also tried my other password for my netgear account online neither one will work. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> When i downloaded the file from netgear i would double click and every
> time it said the file was corrupt and would not open.

Did "the file from netgear" have a name?  Was it a ".zip" archive?

Zip archives have important data near the end of the archive.  If the
file gets truncated during a file transfer, then you can get some kind
of corrupt-archive error message because those important data are
missing.  The size of WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip (as I fetched it) is
14286683 bytes, and the file I got was undamaged:

pro3$ unzip -t WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip
Archive:  WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip
    testing: WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.img   OK
    testing: WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48_Release_Notes.html   OK
No errors detected in compressed data of WNDR4500v3-V1.0.0.48.zip.

Message 4 of 6
mrbones
Aspirant

Thanks for the help antinode i finally got the update i was entering the wrong username. They zip file i got was 13kb and it said error file is corrupt could not mount. But i did get the update. Thanks again for taking time to help.

Message 5 of 6

@mrbones wrote:

When i tried logging in i tried the password on the back which is the one i use to connect my computer and iphone ...

That is the wifi password.

...i also tried my other password for my netgear account online neither one will work.

That has nothing to do with access to the router's browser interface.

You need to follow the steps laid out in the release notes for your firmware:

WNDR4500v3 Firmware Version 1.0.0.48 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7