× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

internet speed

chub
Aspirant

internet speed

The wired speed from Charter from their modem is 70 but i can only get 28 from the wireless router. no updates are available according to the firmware upgrade info. i have tried most of the channels but hanging them makes very little difference

can you help

roger

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: internet speed

I cannot really tell exactly as to why they go bad for only a few years. Though in my own experience I had one which lasted for 6 years and that was a G router.

As a recommendation, check first the wireless adapters on your network. Are these devices using 802.11a, 802.11b/g/n or 802.11ac adapters?

Will you be upgrading in the near future? Because if you do then it would be better if you get yourself something newer like one of the AC routers.

In this way, you will be able to take advantage of the speed.

You may check the list of our routers here and see what suits you.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @chub

What's the exact model number of the NETGEAR device?

How do you measure the speed?

Did you try reinstalling the firmware and do a factory reset on the router after uploading the firmware?

Message 2 of 8
chub
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,
I have the WNDR3700v4.
I connected Charter's cable modem directly to my laptop adn got their advertised speed of 60. I can only get half that wirelessly to my lap top through the Netgear w.ireless router
I have tried to update but there does not appear to be one available.
I have not done a factory reset
Roger

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Wireless is always incomparable when it comes to wired connection. There are a lot of factors to consider when running wireless and getting the same exact speed as the wired connection will never happen. You may need to check for the distance, interference, other wireless devices that may interfere with the router, etc.

What's the wireless adapter used on your laptop? Maybe it also needs an update.

Message 4 of 8
chub
Aspirant

Thanks for yoir reply.

i have had this set up for quite a while and in the past the wireless speed though not the same as wired was good enough.

I also notice that the wireless is now slow on all our devices laptops, phones and tablets etc..

when I am next there I will try a factory reset if you think that is called for and then will try to update again unless you have a better option like a new wireless router?

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's possible that you may need a new router if reinstalling the firmware did not work.

Try to play around with the wireless channel as well and make sure to put the router in a higher place to get a better signal.

Message 6 of 8
chub
Aspirant

This will be the third Netgear Router i have bought, why do they go bad after only a few years?

if I need a new one that can give us the required wireles speed can you tell me what model I should get please?

Thanks for your help

Roger

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I cannot really tell exactly as to why they go bad for only a few years. Though in my own experience I had one which lasted for 6 years and that was a G router.

As a recommendation, check first the wireless adapters on your network. Are these devices using 802.11a, 802.11b/g/n or 802.11ac adapters?

Will you be upgrading in the near future? Because if you do then it would be better if you get yourself something newer like one of the AC routers.

In this way, you will be able to take advantage of the speed.

You may check the list of our routers here and see what suits you.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7