× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

trying to connect 2 wired segments wirelessly WNDR3400

saprinter
Aspirant

trying to connect 2 wired segments wirelessly WNDR3400

I have AT&T Uverse with an Arris router. I need to get the network connected to a wired segment in another part of the house. I really am not physically able to make a cat5 run to the other segment. I have been racking my brain trying to figure a way to get this router to pick up the wireless signal and let me connect to a switch to allow the other network segment to run out to the printers.

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: trying to connect 2 wired segments wirelessly WNDR3400

Powerline devices are supposed to work to a standard. So you should be able to mix and match makes and speeds. I have tried this and it does work, but people have reported that setting up different brands can be a pain.

Does AT&T makes these things, or does it badge one of the better known makers?

The bad news is that very few manufacturers sell single plugs. You either have to buy another pair, find some obscure brand or get something second hand.

One thing you could try is to move the existing printer plug to your remote network and see if that works. that would at least confirm that the idea is worth pursuing. The good news is that these plugs remember their settings and happily move from place to place without needing a complete reset.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@saprinter wrote:

I really am not physically able to make a cat5 run to the other segment.

You could try Powerline Ethernet to see if it will bridge the gap.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

One Powerline plug at the router, the other at the remote end of the network.

Message 2 of 6
saprinter
Aspirant

I am already running 1 that AT&T set up to get printers in another part of the house running. I can't find another node of that brand.

Message 3 of 6

Powerline devices are supposed to work to a standard. So you should be able to mix and match makes and speeds. I have tried this and it does work, but people have reported that setting up different brands can be a pain.

Does AT&T makes these things, or does it badge one of the better known makers?

The bad news is that very few manufacturers sell single plugs. You either have to buy another pair, find some obscure brand or get something second hand.

One thing you could try is to move the existing printer plug to your remote network and see if that works. that would at least confirm that the idea is worth pursuing. The good news is that these plugs remember their settings and happily move from place to place without needing a complete reset.

Message 4 of 6
saprinter
Aspirant

I was hoping to be able to use something I already had (the Netgear router) But I guess if I have to I can buy 3-4 new nodes for the powerline setup. I will try 2 first to see if I can get it to talk to the AT&T stuff, really don't like thier equipment. It has to be reset at least 2 times a month. I used to be able to run for months without issues with the Netgear router.

Message 5 of 6

@saprinter wrote:

I was hoping to be able to use something I already had (the Netgear router)

Powerline devices of all makes should work with a Netgear router. You just plug one into the mains and connect it to one of the router's LAN sockets and then put other plugs wherever you like, then connect your Ethernet equipment to those remote plugs.

Isn't that how your printer works now? If not, then it may not be powerline.

The good news if you need more than one plug is that some makers do sell "three packs". Even better news, if you need it some of these plugs can also act wifi access points, with one of the remote plugs delivering wifi as well as LAN.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7