× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to restore from a saved settings file for JNR1010v2

MSK61
Aspirant

unable to restore from a saved settings file for JNR1010v2

I have a wireless netGear router JNR1010v2. I upgraded the router from its stock firmware(whose version I don't remember exactly) to V1.1.0.32_1.0.1 long ago.

I'm facing the problem that if I backup my current router settings to a file and immediately try to restore it from the file I've just saved, I receive an error message reading "Please select correct configuration file." This happens even if I start with the factory settings and try to backup them without modifying anything.

I don't know if this problem existed right after I upgraded, or even if it didn't exist with the original firmware the router came with. I appreciate if you can advice regarding this strange symptom.

Model: JNR1010v2|N150 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MSK61
Aspirant

Re: unable to restore from a saved settings file for JNR1010v2

I tried power cycling the router but still had no luck.

I tried resetting to factory settings(still with the latest version currently installed V1.1.0.32_1.0.1) then dumped the factory settings into a file and immediately tried restoring it, surprisingly it worked.

This encouraged me to do some experiments with different settings. After a while I figured out the root of the problem. Among the settings I was changing was the "Region:" setting(on the "Wireless Setup" page, under "Advanced" tab, "Setup" category). The factory setting is "Europe" but I usually change it to "Middle East (Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia/Kuwait)". If I dump my settings to a file while the "Region" field is set to something other than "Europe" then I'll never be able to restore my settings from this file. If I dump my settings to a file while the "Region" field is set to "Europe" I can always restore my settings from this file.

So I ended up changing all my settings as desired except for the "Region" field, dumped my settings to file, then manually changed the "Region" field after dumping. Now I know that to restore my settings I have to simply load them from that file, then change the "Region" field manually as desired. I think this's still a bug in the software, but at least it has a workaround.

Thanks everybody for the troubleshooting hints.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Tried reflashing the firmware?

Old firmware and documentation here:

>>>> JNR1010v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR  <<<<

Message 2 of 6
MSK61
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Tried reflashing my same current version V1.1.0.32_1.0.1 but didn't help, still facing the same problem.

As for the old firmware version, there're too many in the link you posted; I don't know which one I should try(and it'd be really awakward to go through them one by one).

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried resetting the unit after upgrading the firmware? If not, try it first then verify. 

If it's the same thing, try to use the firmware before the latest release. 

Message 4 of 6
MSK61
Aspirant

I tried power cycling the router but still had no luck.

I tried resetting to factory settings(still with the latest version currently installed V1.1.0.32_1.0.1) then dumped the factory settings into a file and immediately tried restoring it, surprisingly it worked.

This encouraged me to do some experiments with different settings. After a while I figured out the root of the problem. Among the settings I was changing was the "Region:" setting(on the "Wireless Setup" page, under "Advanced" tab, "Setup" category). The factory setting is "Europe" but I usually change it to "Middle East (Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia/Kuwait)". If I dump my settings to a file while the "Region" field is set to something other than "Europe" then I'll never be able to restore my settings from this file. If I dump my settings to a file while the "Region" field is set to "Europe" I can always restore my settings from this file.

So I ended up changing all my settings as desired except for the "Region" field, dumped my settings to file, then manually changed the "Region" field after dumping. Now I know that to restore my settings I have to simply load them from that file, then change the "Region" field manually as desired. I think this's still a bug in the software, but at least it has a workaround.

Thanks everybody for the troubleshooting hints.

Message 5 of 6

Now that is some good research. Well done.

Write it on a large PostIt note and stick it on the wall so that you remember this for next time around.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7