Who Me Too'd this topic

th3w01f
Apprentice

Please expose the ability to use separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on Orbi!

This is becoming rediclous since the functionality is already there.  I've been an Orbi user for about 2.5 years now and I'm to the point where I'm going to have to find another solution.  I'm covering a large house (~10K sq ft) with 1 router and 3 satelites.  I was about to get rid of Orbi early on until I found the 'unsupported' solution of seperating the ssid for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  That worked great for about a year and a half...  until the firmware late last year caused problems with saltelite communicaion if you have seperate bands.  I have about 90 devices between PCs, phones and IOT devices and many of the IOT require 2.4 but almost no bandwidht.  In my house 2.4Ghz from anywhere tops out at about 1MB/s which does not work for streaming in HD.  

I was going to turn off the 2.4Ghz on Orbi and add a seperate AP for only 2.4 but I see that feature disapeared too somewhere along the way.  The big issue is that most streaming devices, phones, tables and many PCs wifi cards can't be set to 5Ghz only.   Orbi has the capability to support seperate bands and they should make that avaliabe or allow the options of completely disabling 2.4Ghz.   I've tried setting 2.4Ghz to 25% but I'm still constantly faced with devices connecting at 2.4.  

I believe they're seperate radios, maybe the option is to open them up and pull the 2.4Ghz??? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Who Me Too'd this topic