Who Me Too'd this topic

BobZelin
Star

XS728T / XS748T ports fail - numerous installations

Hi - 

this might be my first post here, but I am a long time Netgear 10G switch user - from the original XS712T. 

I have seen this problem over and over again, and I am very familiar with the entire 10G XS series of Netgear switches

from the XS708T, XS712T, XS716T, XS728T and XS748T - including all the v2 and E models as well. 

I only see this on the XS728T, and XS748T.  For no apparant reason, ports will occationally stop working on the switch. 

The GUI shows no link, and there are no lights on the ports.  Switch to another port - no problems.  What I used to do is 

do a factory default on the switch, and the ports would come back to life.  I searched this forum about a year ago, and I saw

someone's suggestion that you switch the "dead port" speed from Auto to 1G Ethernet, click Apply, and then switch back to Auto, and click apply again, and the port comes back to life.  That occationally works. 

I just received a call from a client that has a 6 month old XS748T, latest firmware 6.5.1.42, and this happened again - several ports have "died".  I logged into their system, and tried my "trick" of switching the dead ports (using a working port) to 1G Ethernet, and then back to Auto, but this time, it did not work.  So I am going in there on Monday to do a Factory Default - I assume that everything will start working again, and all ports will come back to life. 

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?   This NEVER happens on an XS708T, XS712T or XS716T !

I would appreciate any advice. 

Thanks - 

Bob Zelin

Model: XS728T|28-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP+ Ports
Who Me Too'd this topic