Who Me Too'd this topic

rpzky8
Guide

R7000 dropping 5Ghz randomly

I was transitioned to work from home so I was able to finally notice this, but my 5Ghz connection on my router occasionally drops. During the course of my 9-10 hour shift, the connection drops around 5-7 times only for the 5Ghz, and needs about 1-5 minutes to get back up. 2.4Ghz doesn't seem to be affected since I used it as a fallback.

For reference, my iMac is positioned roughly 10 ft away in a room. Just for testing purposes, I connected my iPad next to the router, and when I encounter a connection drop, I check my iPad and it's also disconnected. All wired and 2.4Ghz connected devices are unaffected. I also setup another PC (sleep settings is turned off) to not connect automatically on the 5Ghz network, and if I leave it connected to 5Ghz overnight, the PC is disconnected in the morning.

I tried doing the following troubleshooting steps on an issue I've seen in the forum back in 2019:

- Reset my router using a paper clip at the back of it

- Setup the router, afterwards, used the firmware update that I downloaded in Netgear's site (the router is already on the same firmware but did it anyway)

- After doing the firmware update, reset the router again

- Setup router using a new SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

- Tried the next day for work, issue persists

Router version: V1.0.11.100_10.2.100 

R7000 Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router connected to a CM1000, ISP is xFinity.

Is my router's 5Ghz toast? I bought the router roughly 2 years ago. I don't know when the issue started since I only use the internet for minor browsing and gaming before. Only noticed the disconnects almost a week ago eversince I started working from home (moderate internet use, on conference calls most of my 9-10 hour shift).

Any input or troubleshooting step I missed is greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Who Me Too'd this topic